This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#12807 by bursellj
Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:43 am
I am a new user to ooma and think the service is great. I am having a weird issue though. Here is my set up:

Cable Modem>Airport Extreme>ooma hub>phone port on ooma hub feeding telco signal to entire house

I am not using any scouts and my home wiring is only five years old and I am disconnection from the Qwest landline in the box outside my home. The weird thing is that I am picking up a broadcast radio station when using the ooma hub. It is low volume and in the background during dialing and speaking. I have moved the ooma hub to various locations in my home with the same response. I have also move the ooma hub before and after the Airport Extreme and still same problem. I am soon to be former Vonage user and did not have a similiar problem with Vonage or ATT CallVantage.

I use a Panasonic DECT 6.0 multi-handset phone system that is less than two years old and did not have this issue with Qwest, ATT CallVantage or Vonage which have been used with this phone system.

Any suggestions?
#12872 by Colanth
Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:39 am
If you're at all "electronics-capable", hang a .01uF capacitor across the phone pair at the jack the ooma hub connects to. If that's not enough, try one .01 uF between each terminal and a good ground. A Radio Shack 272-1051 is only $1.50, so even 3 of them is a lot cheaper than buying basically the same components in a box labeled "telephone line filter" (which is usually only 1 capacitor).
#12876 by Groundhound
Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:43 am
Colanth wrote:If you're at all "electronics-capable", hang a .01uF capacitor across the phone pair at the jack the ooma hub connects to.

If the house wiring is acting as an antenna, shouldn't the capacitor be at the phone end of the loop?
#12879 by southsound
Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:55 am
We recently had a similar problem on our phone system at our church. It is a key system with 3 CO lines and about 10 stations. On one line you could hear our local AM station better than I could in my car! We called the offending station and they sent our an engineer to find the problem. He was able to discover an unused run on one of the CO lines that we had used years ago for a dialup modem. He fixed it and never charged a bit for the call. You might want to call the offending radio station and see if they are willing to do a similar troubleshooting call. I believe that under FCC regulations they are required to do so. Our tech was very professional, polite, and efficient.
#12925 by bursellj
Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:32 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just plugged my wireless base directly into the ooma hub and it resolved all issues.