This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#12152 by samdaman
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:55 pm
Hi,

I am a new user of Ooma but a seasoned user of VOIP. I am moving after 2 years of poor quality service with viatalk (I was part of the sunrocket debacle). So far, its been a good experience. However, I am having some trouble with the quality. I am getting a lot of static and was wondering if someone could help me with settings.

Here is my setup:
[Internet] --> Verizon Fios modem/router (Actiontec MI424-WR) ---> Ooma Hub

I have made the following changes to the router so far:
1. I have increased the QoS settings for the Ooma hub IP address to 7 for both inbound and outbound
2. I have opened up the UDP and TCP ports used by ooma via port forwarding

I did run the speedtest utilitities posted on the forums and the results were fantastic so I think the internet connection is not an issue.
I have a fair knowledge about routers and all. What else can I do to give the hub priority so I can get cleaner calls?

Thanks for any help.
samdaman
#12157 by Groundhound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:03 am
Just to see if the router settings are causing the problem, try putting the hub ahead of the router temporarily and see if the static is still there.
#12163 by niknak
Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:57 am
I also have verizon fios and have excellent call quality without making any qos changes to either the router or ooma hub.

when you say "static" is it "scratchy noise"?
Static on telephone lines is usually due to poor wiring connections at the rj11 boxes or telephone wires
#12165 by Groundhound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:09 am
Is there a DMZ option in your router config that you could assign the hub's IP to?
Also is "7" the highest possible priority setting and is all other traffic given a lower priority?
#12166 by samdaman
Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:17 am
Yes, there is a DMZ option but I dont know how to use it.
So if I assign a "7" to the ooma hub (which is the highest), do i have to assign lower numbers to others as well?

Please help regarding DMZ setup. The interference is more scratchy than static. Thanks in advance.
#12167 by Groundhound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:27 am
DMZ will only help if there is an issue with forwarding individual ports. You should be able to assign a static IP to the hub in the router's config (sorry, I'm not familiar with your router's config options), and then put that IP in the router's DMZ.

Yes, all other traffic should carry a lower priority setting than the hub.
#12174 by jmassimilla
Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:57 am
I also have Verizon Fios with the same router and the same setup as you have. I have the 20/5 internet and I have not had to do anything with QOS. My call quality is excellent. In fact, it sounds better than my Verizon landline which is also connected to the fiber.
#12685 by maplewood
Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:43 am
the original poster mentioned the Actiontec router/modem -- a known piece of cr@p.

Fios is now providing a newer modem (private label) which is evidently much better. It might be worth asking Fios for a swap.
#12703 by niknak
Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:25 pm
...the interference is more scratchy than static....

The noise may be due to poor wiring connectioins at your rj11 boxes, or poor telephone cables. Can you try swapping the phone with one that is known not to cause static?
Can you plug the known good phone into different rj11 boxes around the house?
Does anything make a difference if you do?