This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#109265 by epete
Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:06 pm
I recently purchased a NAS that I would like to connect to over the internet. I found that my Ooma VoIP Gateway (The old one, not Telo) seemed to be blocking my ability to connect. So I moved the Ooma Gateway after my router rather than before the router. This fixed my connection problem.

Today I started getting complaints that my voice quality was fluctuating and at times choppy. I made the change a couple weeks ago so I don't know that this is the cause.

1. I am wondering what methods are available to troubleshoot this.
2. If the issue is due to moving to the output of my router, I am wondering if there is a way to tell my Router (Linksys E4200 v2) to give the Ooma priority over other traffic.
3. Is there a way to configure the Ooma Gateway so that I can place it back between the modem and router and still connect to my NAS from the internet?
#109267 by epete
Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm
lbmofo wrote:Page 33, you can set highest priority to your Ooma via Ooma's "modem port" MAC address (1 higher than what's printed on the bottom of Ooma; you can look for it on router's device list as well).

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/ ... 86_Web.pdf

Optimal setup for after router: viewtopic.php?t=12403

bmfo:

Thank You! The router is looking for my MAC address. It lists it in the format of 00:00:00:00:00:00. the Ooma displays the 12 digit HEX address on the label underneath the unit; but without the ":"

I used the MAC that was there and inserted ":" after every two digits. Normally I would not question this, except there is another page in the router that lists connected devices. I didn't see this MAC address in the list. Maybe it didn't discover the Ooma Hub?

I now have no way to confirm that I made a mistake if I still have Voice Quality problems. I guess I will assume I did this correct and worry about it if the problem continues.
#109268 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:03 pm
epete wrote:Normally I would not question this, except there is another page in the router that lists connected devices. I didn't see this MAC address in the list. Maybe it didn't discover the Ooma Hub?

Hub's "Modem" port MAC address is 1 higher than the MAC address printed on the bottom of Hub ("Home" port's MAC address). So in the connected devices of your router, look for a MAC address off by 1 last digit and tha'ts Ooma's.
#109284 by epete
Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 am
Thanks. the last two digits of my HUB's MAC on the label is 7C. Therefore it should be 7D. This MAC is still not on my list. I ended up pinging all of the IP addresses listed that had Hostnames that I was not familiar with. I finally found it Pinging the IP with and without power on to see when the ping fails. The MAC address did not resemble the MAC printed on the bottom of the gateway at all. The Hostname for the device shows up as *.

Anyway, thank you. Your input was just what I needed to prompt me figure this out.
#109286 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 am
epete wrote:Thanks. the last two digits of my HUB's MAC on the label is 7C. Therefore it should be 7D. This MAC is still not on my list. I ended up pinging all of the IP addresses listed that had Hostnames that I was not familiar with. I finally found it Pinging the IP with and without power on to see when the ping fails. The MAC address did not resemble the MAC printed on the bottom of the gateway at all. The Hostname for the device shows up as *.

Anyway, thank you. Your input was just what I needed to prompt me figure this out.

Instructions are mostly from a Telo, the Hub is simular.
If you go into Ooma Setup, then click on the Status page and then ports, you will find the MAC Addresses for both the Network port and the Home Network port. The Address that you are seeing in your router is probably a spoofed address, maybe from one of your computers, etc. If you change the MAC address setting in Ooma Setup to "Use Built In", this will not happen.

Ooma doesn't put their name in Bios, so you will not see their name in the router. Just a blank.