This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#108284 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 am
Copters:
At least part of the time there are problems with your Internet connection.

Upload Consistency of Service ____18%_____.....Should be round 80%
Maximum TCP Delay _____281ms________.........Should be less then 100ms
Jitter you server ___67.5ms_______................Should be less then 5ms
Packet loss: you server__0.4%_____................Should be Zero
Packet discards ___10.2%______....................Should be Zero
Estimated MOS score ____2.4____..................Is usually 4 or more

This is probably a sign of a malfunctioning modem or Internet signal. When there are heavier loads on the Internet signal coming into your house, the Quality of Service will go down. When there are lighter loads on the Internet the readings will improve. Probably the Ooma Telo is okay.

Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure. If so do the Modem Reset procedure per the Modem Owner's manual. Some Modems contain a battery, which must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check the Modem owner's manual to see if there is a battery in the modem and how to temporarily remove it. Then do the Modem Reset. If there is no Modem reset procedure, do a Modem reboot. Then test.

Check the Internet cable coming in from the street to your Modem for condition, splices and splitters and loose fittings. Correct as necessary. If possible, try to temporarily bypass any spices or splitters to see if that makes a difference. Then Test.

If none of these things helps, try another Modem.

If another Modem doesn’t help, contact your Internet provider.
#110150 by johnjohnjohn53
Tue May 21, 2013 4:39 pm
i'm having an issue with breaking and drop outs. there is also a constant echo of repeating what you say on the phone or what others say as well. there has been times it seems like it even hangs up but not has happen recently but if click it will go back to the other phone line that it hung up on. but main issue is the broken calls and drops and echo. i uploaded a pic of my voip statistics from phone power and it looks like there are some issues just by looking at the statistics and reading this thread. but no idea what to do to fix it still. i've done the resetting of modems and routers. doesn't look like anything lose outside though i'm no tec. as for going into the http://172.27.35.1/ that someone mentions here in this thread when i type that in it doesn't connect me to it. i get a The connection has timed out The server at 172.27.35.1 is taking too long to respond. every time so i can't try that out. not sure what my next step is. also we have had ooma for like 6-7years i think. same ooma machine and not had any issues till this year. maybe been a few months now that i'm having these issues. thanks for any help, this is getting frustrating as my family are the ones that use the phone and they are getting pissed and i can't get it fixed.n packet loss server > you also just had a 100% ..seems download consistency and packet seems to jump around.
Attachments
new statistics voip.png
copy of statistics from phonepower
new statistics voip.png (35.63 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
Last edited by johnjohnjohn53 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#110151 by lbmofo
Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm
If you haven't had issues until now, either your modem or your router is going belly up. Since you can't get to your device setup page, I suppose you are connecting your Ooma to your router right? Do the voip quality test talked about and show us your numbers.
#110152 by johnjohnjohn53
Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 pm
just added one of the statistic pics. i connect modem then router then ooma amongst my computer and ps3 on my router. but yeah i've yet to have issues till recently. we got a new modem they sent us a d3 with a voip that is in it and we thought maybe the issues started when we got that modem so i went back to my old modem and still having the issues. maybe i should try a few days of ooma connected first then router?
#110154 by lbmofo
Tue May 21, 2013 5:12 pm
You definitely have issues. Your download is 1.8Mbps yet your upload is 4.4Mbps...something is wrong. You have 100% packet loss server to you meaning you shouldn't be hearing anything when on VoIP calls. Anyway, what you can do is to connect your Ooma to modem and then router to your Ooma. Power off everything and then power up modem first, then when online, turn on Ooma, then when all blue, turn on router. Check your VoIP test again.
#110155 by johnjohnjohn53
Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm
yes that 100% was just a few mins ago out of like 10 different tries. it was the only time it hit 100% but it goes up and down from 3-4% loss all way to that 100% i just put my ooma straight into my modem and did tests and they seem the same i'll post below an attachment of the statistics.
Attachments
voip statistics modem to ooma.png
voip statistics modem to ooma.png (32.06 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
#110158 by lbmofo
Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 pm
I strong suspect your modem. To rule out your router, connect a computer directly to Ooma and bypass the router. Do your test and see if you have packet loss. If still same results, get a new modem.
#110159 by johnjohnjohn53
Tue May 21, 2013 6:29 pm
yes i'm still having same issues now that i'm testing it. i turned off router totally, pluged ooma to my modem and connected my pc with ooma home port. i also tried to do the Use built in for my mac address and nothing has fixed the issue. the thing is if it's the modem i used 2 different modems and it's still doing it. i have had my suspicions that it's my internet provider or modem from the get go. this all started when comcast tried to force there voip service on us. they sent us a modem with voip with it the Arris TM822, they then tried charging us monthly for it when they said it was free. we cancled it and our voip that we have been using went to shit since then. i have pluged in the older modem witch is what is in use now but still same issues though now. we have done the modem resets ...is there maybe something special they need to do on there side? maybe it's still working as if there new modem is connected or something? not sure, but as of getting a new modem what do i do, just tell comcast i want a new modem? what to do next i'm not sure?
#110161 by johnjohnjohn53
Tue May 21, 2013 6:40 pm
Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 384 (0 to disable)
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0 (0 to disable)
Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 130 default

just noticed this in the advanced settings is the 384 normal? or should it be at 0 to disable as well. looks out of place is any of it off?