This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#17214 by niknak
Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 am
QOS = Quality of Service, these settings can be made if you are having voice quality problems either on the ooma hub or on the router depending upon your configuration
#71028 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 am
Ooma device before or after the Router?
The question is weather to connect the Ooma device before the router, or after the router?

The answer is modem-Ooma-router or modem-router-Ooma, which ever works best for you and your home’s network situation.

The first consideration is which device, Ooma device or router, provides the best Quality of Service (QoS) for VoIP priority full range control?

Most routers “out there” provide little or no QoS for VoIP full range priority. So of coarse the Ooma device should be connected before the router in that case.

But if you have a router that provides excellent QoS for VoIP priority full range control, than of coarse the Ooma device should be place behind (on LAN side of) router, and the Ooma device should have it’s QoS disabled to prevent conflict.

Some later model routers will automatically provide QoS VoIP priority full range control right out of the box. Other router’s QoS has to be enabled.

If you have a “gray area” router or if you are unsure which way is best to connect your Ooma device in your home’s LAN, try the following. Connect modem-Ooma-router for a while just for testing. Than connect modem-router-Ooma for a while just for testing. By using both configurations, you will be able to choose the configuration that functions best for you and your home’s LAN network configuration.

There are some other considerations that I won’t list, but become self evident after using Ooma for a while.
#71048 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:46 pm
The following setup corrected my dropped call problems, my one way voice conversation problems, plus several other voice quality problems that I was having:

General Outline for Setting up Ooma Behind (on Local Area Network side of) Router.

The steps below are just suggestions. Your may choose to use some or all of the Outline steps below, depending on your equipment and network requirements.

1. Ooma device:
a. Enable Ooma device’s built-in MAC address.
b. Assign static IP address (IP number obtained from your router) in the Ooma device.
c. Disable QoS in Ooma device by setting upload/download settings to zero.
d. To be used for Ooma device behind router only: If after you have configured and tested your setup per this document and you still are experiencing dropped calls, one way voice conversation problems, change your QoS upload/download settings (BOTH) in your Ooma device to at least 2000 kbps above your Internet provider upload/download top speeds, as measured with speedtest.net.
2. Verify that your router’s firmware is up to date.
3. Verify that your router provides support for QoS (Quality of Service) VoIP priority. (Some router manufactures use similar but different names for QoS), reference check router manual.
4. Enable router QoS settings as required, reference check router manual.
5. Place your Ooma device into your router’s DMZ using the static IP address you assigned to your Ooma device, reference check router manual.
6. Create in router, router rule(s) to open Ooma ports, (Setup location sometimes found in router gaming menu) reference check router manual.
a. Ooma uses the following application ports for data and voice traffic,
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
7. With Ooma device connected behind (LAN side of) router, don’t use Ooma home port. Use your router ports for other devices on your LAN system.
8. Do a cold boot of router.
9. Do a cold boot of Ooma device after router cold boot has been completed.
10. Optional suggestion: For new installation, test Ooma device VoIP phone system for a few days connected to only one wired phone.
Good Luck.
#71057 by stevepierce
Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm
Thunderbird,

I have tried all you had outlined except one thing. I am using a Comcast Business Class modem router. It is an all in one unit with 4 LAN ports.

It does not allow you to define a port range grater than 5,000. No problem create a range of 10,000-14,999. That works.

However you can't define two large range of ports. So there is no way to define the full extended range.

But I have a question, if you put the Ooma in the DMZ, then are all the ports open. So defining the ports isn't really needed.

So I can't open the ranges like you listed, but did everything else, and still NO JOY.

One last point, the can't hear problem, doesn't happen with ever call. So it would seem like it would not be a local config problem if sometimes calls works and other times it does not.

Especially when call were working in Early November but problems with some but not all numbers started happening just before Thanksgiving and continue today.

- Steve
#71061 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 pm
Did you try step 1-d? If everything is setup as suggested, go into the Ooma device setup, and set QoS settings both upstream and downstream (Both) 2000 kbps above measured Internet speeds as measured with speedtest.net readings.

If that doesn’t work set both readings 4000 kbps above.
#71067 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 am
If problem still continues:

For troubleshooting and isolation purposes only: First return your Ooma device "Network Connection" setting from "Static IP Address" to "Automatic".

Disconnect your Ooma Device and take it, (and probably a phone) to a friend or Relative's home where you can connect and test on an Internet network that is different than the one you are using now.

Test: Call the same numbers that you are having problems with.
#71078 by Takafoomi
Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:32 am
Normal human beings shouldn't have to struggle this much to configure their phone devices to be honest. This all reminds me of configuring PC's in the 90's to run games.. where you had to move programs into different memory areas, make sure gizmos weren't conflicting with each other and so forth. Why does it have to be this hard? Honestly, I also run a Vonage box for my business line and it's NEVER down and I've never done anything to it other than plug it it. Different technological approach to Ooma perhaps, definitely a different cost structure.. but they are both VOiP with the same goal - to save us money. But honestly, the Ooma's firmware and/or it's user experience has got to get better. Why does anyone need to know how to configure all the innards of their Ooma box? Plug and play is what we deserve and want. Consistency is what we need. The phone shouldn't work one day then be cruddy the next. I'd rather blame my cable provider for slow lines.. or my electric company for power outages.. but for the VOiP box to crap out whenever it feels like and not to have it recover itself/heal itself is crazy. Ooma what is your planned release cycle, when will these issues be resolved... we're all fans, we want to say good things to our friends and via our social networks... but please please fix the little black box that could.. make it better..
#71094 by stevepierce
Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:25 pm
thunderbird wrote:If problem still continues:
For troubleshooting and isolation purposes only: First return your Ooma device "Network Connection" setting from "Static IP Address" to "Automatic".
Disconnect your Ooma Device and take it, (and probably a phone) to a friend or Relative's home where you can connect and test on an Internet network that is different than the one you are using now.
Test: Call the same numbers that you are having problems with.

Thunderbird, way ahead of you. I happen to have an unused spare T1 line here at the house. This is with an entirely different carrier. Moving the Telo over to the T1 line using an fixed IP and DHCP and calling the same numbers, the Ooma Telo fails in the exact same way.

One ISP is Comcast Business Class which speakeasy is reporting 88Mbs down and 7Mbs up and the second is a T1 with no traffic testing at 1.5 up and down over Cavalier Telephone and the Ooma Telo fails the exact same way.

We have also changed out the Telo for a new one, same problem.

We have also been able to demonstrate to anyone that wants to know, how to make it fail on their own Telo.

Again this all points to a carrier exchange problem at Ooma and not a local config, QoS, local ISP or problem with a specific hardware device.

Moreover, the high number of other people also posting up to this forum with the same call problem as well as to other forums and product site reviews, indicates again this is an Internal Ooma network problem and not an edge problem.

Cheers!

- Steve