This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#106029 by zincmann
Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 am
:!: Lately my Ooma telo has not been able to connect to long distance numbers that are actual land lines, what it does is just ring a long ring and then the line is quiet (like it went dead but its not). I can dial long distance cell phone numbers no problem I can dial local land line numbers or cell phone numbers no problem but it seems to be not connecting or improperly ringing long distance land line numbers. The only thing I have changed (and a while back at that was my router) I had a Linksys WRT 350N router which it never experienced issues with. IN the last i would say 8 months I upgraded and bought a Netgear WNR 3700 router Dual Band N and I have it attached to the 5.8GHZ SSID with 300MBS and auto on the channel selection.

Its only been in the last month or so where we have been experiencing this issue and my wife is forced to use her Cell phone to make those calls which is unacceptable for what we paid for this device and the wireless dongle etc.

We also added and that was in the last 6 months or so a Cisco 3G MicroCell because our AT&T Service is horrible in our house but again the QoS is set on the Telo and was working fine. I have not been doing any bandwidth intensive things as of late. The only other thing I did was buy a new Cable Modem to replace the one Time Warner was about to start charging me monthly for and bought the EXACT Same model and that was in the last couple of months, not sure how that would affect the issue I am having but I am trying to provide as much detail as possible.

Yes I do have a lot of wireless devices around the house but most of them are usually shut off, in the room where the Telo is there is nothing, however I have been noticing that the signal range of my wireless router has been struggling to get the some of the further points in my house where there never was an issue before with my Linksys N Router. But some of those could be iOS Related and not the Router have not confirmed that but again I am trying to isolate this long distance issue, because if it cant make land line calls long distance what good is the unit?

Thanks for your help.
#106030 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:16 am
zincmann:
You've done a lot of improvement to your home's LAN.

When you say long distance, do you mean calls within the USA? All Ooma Telo calls within the USA are considered local because Ooma doesn’t charge for these calls.

A couple of suggestions for the long distance problem:

Have you tired calling the full number, even if it's what used to be what was called a "local" call? Example: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system and make sure that Ten Digit Dialing is enabled.
#106047 by zincmann
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am
Sorry guys I should have said local..but I guess I am still thinking along the "Long distance being outside my localized areacode, so local but in the united states...so anytime I try to dial a 716 area code (mine is 585 area code) OR 646 area code for example it just long rings, they both are in the United States one is in Buffalo one is in Long Island and i am in Rochester NY...and I do dial a 1 after any 10 digit number wont let me dial it without.
#106048 by zincmann
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 am
Ok so I rebooted Telo a hard reboot...so to speak....unplugged the usb Wireless Dongle and let the telo sit for a bit and then plugged it back in..first I got the ooma blinking red light which didn't turn to blue and then I rebooted it again and it seemed to have cleared it. It rang through to one of the local different area code numbers I have been experiencing issues with...but it still at first dialed with a long ring broken up a bit but still long paused and then rung again so I am still unclear if the issue is fixed, my wife is using it now !!
#106050 by Tom
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 am
The 716 number you were dialing was busy. There's a bug in release 64261 which doesn't handle this condition correctly. This is fixed in the release currently being pushed out. Your unit will upgrade to this release shortly.

In general when you hear a ringback broken up it means the telo is hunting routes.

And are you personally dialing this 866 number over and over or is it some automated device hanging off a splitter on the telo phone port?
#106051 by zincmann
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 pm
Im dialing directly and that would make sense..because it seemed like a ringback but she said (my wife) when she was calling them (her parents) the 716 area code it was happening all the time when she would call them...now of course they dont have call waiting so if it was busy it was not rinnging busy just that long ring so you are saying it was long ringing because of the lack of the fix?
#106054 by willirl
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 pm
I am having a similar problem. Frequently when I dial a LOCAL OR LONG DISTANCE number I hear one ring tone and then nothing.

I have contacted telephone support for whom I rebooted my cable modem, ooma hub and router. This didn't change anything, the problem still exists. It's been happening for a couple of weeks. Other than that they didn't really have any other suggestions.

I have always used 11 digit dialing.