This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105843 by skipbisconer
Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm
I live in the country with no cell service which has had numerous power outages. I can get cell but I have to walk up to the road about 1/2 mile. So instead of porting my number I am keeping so if the power goes out I can still get phone service with an anolog phone. I have several call quality issues when I have done this. Incoming calls have a several seconds of hesitation, the caller gets my conversation like a cell phone with low bars, missing or garbled words, dropped, echoing, etc. I seem to beable to hear fairly well on my end except for this hesitation. My configuration is Satellite modem, to Ooma, to home network. My broadband speed is 10+ megs. I was thinking of getting a new number with AT&T, then porting my old number to Ooma but that seems like a hassle. Calls directly to my Ooma number's quality it respectable. Any suggestions would be helpful. I appoligize if this has been handled previously in this forum but I am new and searching didn't seem to get me anywhere.
#105880 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm
What I meant to ask is what happens if you use the AT&T landline (that you are forwarding to Ooma) to call your Ooma number directly? Sounds okay?
#105888 by skipbisconer
Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm
I can use my land line to call the Ooma number there is no problem. Calls go out and Ooma and landline quality is OK.
The thing I am not sure of is with satellite internet there is an inherant latency when surfing. Don't know if this is the delay at the onstart of answering the phone issue.
Last edited by skipbisconer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#105897 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm
I don't quite understand why regular calls directly to Ooma is okay yet forwarded calls from your AT&T landline to Ooma isn't very good. However, your wireless/satellite internet may not be good for VoIP/Ooma. Check this out: /viewtopic.php?t=13858#p96585

Looking at the speeds you mention, your provider must be Dish. I am curious as to what kind of speed you actually get. Do a http://www.speedtest.net and see?
#105901 by skipbisconer
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 pm
I went to the link you provided and my VoiP test came out good. Says I shouldn't have a problem. No packets were lost during the test which would possibly indicate interuption of the voice transmission, howeve, I didn't lose any packets during the test. I don't believe my land line could be the culprit here as it is getting bypassed during the forwarding as the switching is done at AT&T. I guess I will need to call the CS and get an answer as the live chat couldn't help me because they can't do the testing required. At this site my download was 15.6 mbps, upload speed 803 kbps, jitter was 12. ms and packet loss was zip.

I get a full 10 megs download and server pings are in the high 700s. I am very pleased with it as I was paying At&T for up to 6 megs and only getting about 4.5 on a good day. Too much copper between me and the Fiber Optics. It was costing me 43.00 and this Dish modem only costs 59.00. A real bargain for the extra speed.
Thanks for you help here. It's appreciated.
Last edited by skipbisconer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.