This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105102 by ludicard
Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 8.17.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 8.17.27 PM.png (31.76 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
I've had Ooma for about a month and I have recently noticed that the quality of the outgoing voice is choppy and garbled -- I can hear the incoming voice fine, but my outgoing voice is unintelligible. I have a cable modem and (supposedly) the 15mbps plan. The quality seems to be worst in the evenings. I ran the numbers on the speed test and got the attached numbers.

I have already attempted the following fixes: changed the mac address, got rid of the wifi adapter and connected directly to the router.

What else can I do to fix this issue? Any ideas? Thanks.
#105103 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm
ludicard wrote:
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 8.17.27 PM.png
I've had Ooma for about a month and I have recently noticed that the quality of the outgoing voice is choppy and garbled -- I can hear the incoming voice fine, but my outgoing voice is unintelligible. I have a cable modem and (supposedly) the 15mbps plan. The quality seems to be worst in the evenings. I ran the numbers on the speed test and got the attached numbers.

I have already attempted the following fixes: changed the mac address, got rid of the wifi adapter and connected directly to the router.

What else can I do to fix this issue? Any ideas? Thanks.

ludicard:
The Jitter > You server: 20.1 ms tell you that you either have a malfunctioning or defective Modem or the Internet signal is defective. Usually it’s the Modem.

Locate your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a Reset procedure for the Modem. If so do the Reset procedure. Note: some Modems contain a battery that must temporarily be removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Modem Reboot. Check your Modem owner's manual to see if it contains a battery and for if so, the removal procedure.

If after the Modem reset, if there is still poor Phonepower Speedtest results, try another Modem.

If another Modem doesn't help. Check and see if the Internet cable coming in from the street to the Modem has splices and or splitters. Make sure that all of the splice and splitter connections are tight. Try and temporarily remove the splitter, if installed, and connect the Modem directly and test. Make sure that the cable is not worn and looks to be defective.

If you still have problems, get your Internet provider involved.
#105111 by ludicard
Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:10 am
Thanks for the advice.

I have reset the modem several times. On the speedtest on phonepower.com I now fluctuate between 30ms and 2.8 ms of jitter. I've run tests every five minutes for 30 minutes. On pingtest.net I am consistently at 7ms or less, even when the phonepower jitter is at 30ms. I am going to try a new modem this weekend and I'll report back on my finding.