This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#110409 by pbfloomauser
Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 pm
I fought this issue for about 6 months and tried many of the suggestions posted and those from OOMA support. Some improved the situation, but none solved it. I finally solved this by replacing my cable modem.
Details: I have Comcast internet. Previously, I had a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem I purchased several years ago. It was connected to a D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N Router. With this setup I had problems with OOMA. When I started having PC internet issues, I replaced it with a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 integrated modem/router. I have not had one-way audio problems or dropped calls since (about 2 months).
I suspect the earlier modem/router versions had issues with the new protocols that have stabilized in the current release.
My OOMA phone is now reliable, no dropped calls, no one-way audio issues. I almost replaced OOMA and glad I did not. I hope this info is of use to others. OOMA support was quite helpful in trying to diagnose this issue, thanks.
#115531 by jennpete
Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 pm
Unfortunately, I am about ready to throw in the towel. I have called OOMA with minimal help - they keep playing the blame game with my ISP. I have done as much troubleshooting as I can from what I have read in the forums and nothing has worked. I even bought a new OOMA Telo Air to try it wirelessly (which was worse). I am not very technichally inclined and not sure what to do.

I have my OOMA directly connected to a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 and whether the calls are incoming or outgoing, they other person on the line stops hearing me for several seconds while I can still hear them. This goes on and on until finally we both have enough and I just call them back on my cell phone. While the OOMA is very inexpensive, I can't imagine paying anything for a service I just can't use. Getting ready to take unit # 2 back to Costco unless anyone has some bright ideas.

One thing I was told by OOMA was that my ping of 35ms was way too high and to call my ISP and have them lower it. I called them and basically got laughed at and told that they never guarantee ping speeds and that my ping speed was fine. I am so sick and tired of being caught in the middle of the OOMA/ISP blame game and just want to be able to make and receive successful phone calls.

If anyone has any ideas, please help!

Thanks in advance :).
#115532 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:34 pm
Your modem "gateway" is the culprit (highly likely). The problem with these modem with wifi/router combo is that their firewall is too strict for voice over IP devices such as Ooma. Look here for what I did to help my friend (who had the same model modem gateway you have): /viewtopic.php?t=16681#p114491 Even after that, my friend was still having issues with other things so I recommended the following to my friend: get a plain cable modem (such as this Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem http://amzn.com/B004XC6GJ0 ) and then a router (such as this Netgear WNDR3400 N600 Dual Band Wireless Router http://amzn.com/B0041LYY6K ) Everything works great now.
#115536 by Larry Lix
Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:47 pm
When I ping Ooma.com I get back responses at 54 and 55msec. I doubt 35msec. is a problem and possibly issue avoidance. Even when I ping my ISP I get 35-80 msec. Make sure you have escalated your problem to level 2 support. Most of these problems are not found in the read-off-the-screen support manual that level 1 support reads to you.
#115537 by jennpete
Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:16 pm
lbmofo wrote:Your modem "gateway" is the culprit (highly likely). The problem with these modem with wifi/router combo is that their firewall is too strict for voice over IP devices such as Ooma. Look here for what I did to help my friend (who had the same model modem gateway you have): /viewtopic.php?t=16681#p114491 Even after that, my friend was still having issues with other things so I recommended the following to my friend: get a plain cable modem (such as this Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem http://amzn.com/B004XC6GJ0 ) and then a router (such as this Netgear WNDR3400 N600 Dual Band Wireless Router http://amzn.com/B0041LYY6K ) Everything works great now.

Thank you, I did try that before I made another test call and was able to talk to my Mom for about 11 minutes no problem and then all of a sudden the call disconnected. Neither her nor I ended the call.
#115538 by jennpete
Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 pm
Larry Lix wrote:When I ping Ooma.com I get back responses at 54 and 55msec. I doubt 35msec. is a problem and possibly issue avoidance. Even when I ping my ISP I get 35-80 msec. Make sure you have escalated your problem to level 2 support. Most of these problems are not found in the read-off-the-screen support manual that level 1 support reads to you.

Thanks I will try that again although, I think I have spoken with level 2 support before and they just keep wanting to reset the ooma and modem and then blame my ISP. Worth one more shot. If this doesn't work, I guess I will try to buy a new modem and/or router and see if that works. It just shouldn't be this hard!
#115540 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:37 pm
jennpete wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Your modem "gateway" is the culprit (highly likely). The problem with these modem with wifi/router combo is that their firewall is too strict for voice over IP devices such as Ooma. Look here for what I did to help my friend (who had the same model modem gateway you have): /viewtopic.php?t=16681#p114491 Even after that, my friend was still having issues with other things so I recommended the following to my friend: get a plain cable modem (such as this Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem http://amzn.com/B004XC6GJ0 ) and then a router (such as this Netgear WNDR3400 N600 Dual Band Wireless Router http://amzn.com/B0041LYY6K ) Everything works great now.

Thank you, I did try that before I made another test call and was able to talk to my Mom for about 11 minutes no problem and then all of a sudden the call disconnected. Neither her nor I ended the call.

What did you try? The DMZ? or standalone modem and standalone router replacing your modem gateway?
#115541 by jennpete
Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm
I tried the DMZ, in my search for troubleshooting ideas, I did come across your other post and tried that. That is when we were able to speak for 11 minutes w/o issue and then all of a sudden the call disconnected.
#115542 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:05 pm
The best thing you can do is to get rid of that Motorola gateway. My friend did and never looked back.
#115543 by jennpete
Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm
lbmofo wrote:The best thing you can do is to get rid of that Motorola gateway. My friend did and never looked back.

Thanks lbmofo! I think that is the next step. Really glad I got all those Amazon gift cards for Christmas LOL :D