This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104090 by ntarvin
Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:40 pm
I just got my Ooma a couple of days ago... and I really like it EXCEPT that there is a definite delay when in a conversation. It's very annoying with both people stepping on the other's words.

I tried putting my Ooma between the modem and the router - the Ooma worked, the LAN worked, but nothing would connect to the internet... (I'm on DSL, btw...)

Is there a solution to this? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks -

neil
======
#104092 by lbmofo
Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:29 am
Usually when you switch order of modem/router/ooma around, you need to power off everything and power up again from modem down. Example, modem first, then what's connected to the modem, then the next device. That should solve your problem of not connecting to internet properly for some of your devices.

As with your delay issue, measure your delay and see what it is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874 Anywhere from 400 something ms to 500 something ms should be okay (cell phone like).

I'd take a look at these (pick a config you want; after router is fine if your router does QoS):

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

Voice Quality issue thread: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#104093 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 am
ntarvin wrote:I just got my Ooma a couple of days ago... and I really like it EXCEPT that there is a definite delay when in a conversation. It's very annoying with both people stepping on the other's words.

I tried putting my Ooma between the modem and the router - the Ooma worked, the LAN worked, but nothing would connect to the internet... (I'm on DSL, btw...)

Is there a solution to this? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks -

neil
======

What you described is called Half-Duplex Conversation. If you hear both people stepping on the other's words, and you have to wait to talk until the other party stops taking to hear them clearly, most likely this is Half-Duplex conversation. This problem is some times also called one way conversation.

Full-duplex Conversation is where both parties can talk at the same time, and hear each other clearly.

Ooma supports/needs Full-Duplex Conversation to operate properly. Half-Duplex Conversation isn't delay, but sounds like delay.

Half duplex conversation is usually caused by a Modem that isn’t operating properly (or is operating in the Half-Duplex mode all of the time).

Check your Modem owner’s manual and see if there is a Reset procedure for the Modem. If there is a Reset procedure, accomplish the Modem Reset per the owner’s manual.

Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed before a successful Modem Reset or Modem Reboot can be accomplished. Reference your Modem owner’s manual for the battery the removal procedure, as required.

If there isn’t a reset procedure in the Modem, power off the Modem, then repower the Modem.

Test making and receiving calls to see if the problem has gone away.

Something else to check that may help.
Some routers have a Duplex setting in the router WAN settings area, which is usually set to Auto Duplex (wording may be slightly different for different Routers). If possible set this setting to Full Duplex. This setting should force the Modem to operate in the Full Duplex mode.

If you continue to have this problem, try a different Modem.