This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99797 by tkc9789
Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:50 am
I've had Ooma for about a year. We make calls to Taiwan regularly. For the past several days, I've been experiencing dropped calls to Taiwan. While in the middle of the call, Ooma will announce "good bye" and the call be cut off. I know this is not due to running out of available international minutes.
What causes the drop and any way to remedy this? Thanks for any input.
#99798 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:31 am
tkc9789 wrote:I've had Ooma for about a year. We make calls to Taiwan regularly. For the past several days, I've been experiencing dropped calls to Taiwan. While in the middle of the call, Ooma will announce "good bye" and the call be cut off. I know this is not due to running out of available international minutes.
What causes the drop and any way to remedy this? Thanks for any input.

In the past we've had the same problem calling China or Taiwan.

First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
Or this may be due to a momentary interruption of your Internet provider signal.
Try resetting or rebooting your Modem. Accomplish the reboot or set per the Modem manufacture's owner's manual. Note: some modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem reset or reboot, reference the Modem manufacture's owner's manual for procedure.
#99799 by tkc9789
Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 am
Thanks Thunderbird for your reply. MAC address spoofing has been turned off long time ago. And I had also tried power cycle the ATT 2-wire several times to no avail.
I've also tried calling the same number with a prepaid phone card. No issues.

Maybe it's time to call Ooma customer care.....
#99800 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 am
tkc9789 wrote:Thanks Thunderbird for your reply. MAC address spoofing has been turned off long time ago. And I had also tried power cycle the ATT 2-wire several times to no avail.
I've also tried calling the same number with a prepaid phone card. No issues.

Maybe it's time to call Ooma customer care.....

Give then a try and let the forum know how you come out:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#99813 by George Cole
Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm
I have just had some interesting issues with my OOMA Telo system.
Last week whilst trying to send a fax I ended up just dialing the number direct to send. not using any prefix. Next All the house phones went out...(found that one phone unit was defective and shutting down the system) now whilst trying to call international, China, and domestic the call was answered but could not hear any response from me. The tech support and myself reset both the modem and Telo they told me to dial *98 before the domestic number and dial the 011 before the international number. What is so strange is that I had no problem until now, why? At the moment all phones in the house have dial tones but as far as operating I will have to wait and see. Has anyone had this problem before?
Keep in mind that I'm technological ignorant. Before I retired I could program a FMS to fly a plane up as gnats ass.

Thanks,and Regards,
George
#99817 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 pm
George Cole wrote:I have just had some interesting issues with my OOMA Telo system.
Last week whilst trying to send a fax I ended up just dialing the number direct to send. not using any prefix. Next All the house phones went out...(found that one phone unit was defective and shutting down the system) now whilst trying to call international, China, and domestic the call was answered but could not hear any response from me. The tech support and myself reset both the modem and Telo they told me to dial *98 before the domestic number and dial the 011 before the international number. What is so strange is that I had no problem until now, why? At the moment all phones in the house have dial tones but as far as operating I will have to wait and see. Has anyone had this problem before?
Keep in mind that I'm technological ignorant. Before I retired I could program a FMS to fly a plane up as gnats ass.

Thanks,and Regards,
George

Dial *#*#001 with a phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port - Speaks the version of software from Ooma Telo speaker, to see what Ooma Telo Firmware you have.

The newest released Ooma Telo firmware is version 60080 which is being "pushed" out to Ooma Telo users right now. If you have this firmware version, it may be the cause of your problems, and it needs to be reported to Ooma Customer Support.

For Ooma Telos, *98 or *86 can be dialed before number being called.
Example for USA calls: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx .
Using *98 changes the call to a wider codec bandwidth.
Using *96 uses the same Codec (the normal Codec used by Ooma) as if you didn't dail *96, but removes the vocice HD.

Usually one or the other will help.
#99820 by George Cole
Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:43 pm
Thanks T- Bird,
My system is updated with 60080. What I find puzzling is this just started in the past two weeks, why?
Tonight we will try to call China dialing the 011+country code+city code+area code+phone number. If we get a response from the China end but not hearing our end we will try the * 98 or any other star that come to mind..I hope to hell we don't have to go to Skype..
Thanks,
Best Regards,
George
#99822 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:28 pm
George Cole wrote:Thanks T- Bird,
My system is updated with 60080. What I find puzzling is this just started in the past two weeks, why?

You received the Ooma Telo version 60080 firmware update during hte past two weeks. Ooma probably changed something.

George Cole wrote:Tonight we will try to call China dialing the 011+country code+city code+area code+phone number. If we get a response from the China end but not hearing our end we will try the * 98 or any other star that come to mind..I hope to hell we don't have to go to Skype..
Thanks,
Best Regards,
George

If you add the prefix to the China number, dial *98-011-86- an on.
#100008 by George Cole
Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:04 pm
Latest update with calling either international or domestic long distance. With both I must dial *98 before the number. to call China I must dial *98-011-country code-area code-city code then I'm in..To call long distance domestic I must first dial *98-1-area code-number..God I do love high tech..If this is a problem with the latest firm ware and OOMA corrects it will I be notified? I guess I'll find out when I make the first call after...

I want to add that this forum is great as well as entertaining. I have never read so many people pissin and moanin about nothing, just like reading reviews..all in all OOMA products are good and do work as advertised..get a life some us have "real"problems,
Best Regards,
George