This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#98443 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:20 pm
JumpingJackFlash, I referred you to the Voice Quality post so you can take a look at your modem: viewtopic.php?t=10023

murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem
http://192.168.100.1
Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…
The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

If your modem numbers look questionable, do a “restore factory default” on the modem status page & reboot or do a hard reset if the modem has a reset button. Problem may also be too many cable splitters between incoming cable and the modem. If you are DOCSIS 3 service, the tolerance needs to be tighter. Something like upstream power less than 50 and downstream power between -7 and 7.

If your modem number look ugly, your cable company for sure will know what you are talking about and they'll have to fix it. Once fixed, your other numbers will most likely get corrected.
#98446 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:15 pm
JumpingJackFlash wrote:Yep. Well I contacted the cable company this morning (TW). They came out and changed the cable modem and now my jitter skyrockets to 100-140. My speeds are also lower according to your tests. I called them back and asked for my old modem back, and they are giving me a hard time about returning it. When I tried to explain about the jitter problem to one of the local VPs he said what is jitter? Is that a Time Warner term? Is there a TW test for jitter? So another words, they absolutely refuse to recognize jitter. Now what? I'm stuck with a worthless phone device and subscription to Ooma premium under the Groupon deal? It's strange that everything was working fine until I decided to port over my phone number. Only then did Ooma crap out. Why is that? Surely there must be other people out there with similar experiences. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one.

First if there are spliters and splices in the Internet cable coming in from the street, between where your Modem connect to the cable that comes in from the street, the connections may not be tight or the splitters could be defective. First make sure all of the connections are tight.
Next if that doesn't help, temporarily bypass all of the splices and splitters, connecting the Modem on the street side of the cable coming in from the street bypassing all of the splices and splitters.
Then connect your Ooma Telo to the Modem and run Phonepower Speedtest, and see if the results are any better.

Next if that doesn't help:
I would make the cable company give you another Modem. The cable company probably gave you a used Modem that hasn't been reconditioned properly, before putting it into service in your home.

One last note:
It seems very strange that a cable company would not know about Jitter and Lost or Discarded packets?
#98447 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 pm
Once you point out bad modem conditions, the cable company usually cleans up the line leading up to the modem for free. They will run a home run cable directly to the modem if necessary. Home run cable on exterior of house isn't expensive... Roughly $30 is what Comcast charges.
#99793 by Jiminy
Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 pm
I have an Ooma Telo in the US without any problems, I now have one in Canada and I am experiencing the same issues as the previous poster. I have the ISP cable -modem (motorola sb5102)-Ooma-router(cisco lynksis E4200). My jitter is really high which I think is the problem, I called my ISP (SHAW - cable) and they said everything was working from their end and they reset my modem and there was nothing they can do with Jitter. After googling quite a bit I noticed On-line Gamers have issues with latency and jitters. I have tried several of the recommendations in this post such as hooking up my modem,Ooma & router to the cable line coming in from the street - no noticeable difference in the speed test results. I am wondering if I need to switch my ISP to a DSL since Shaw is the only cable provider (all other cable providers use Shaw cable) in the City. Would purchasing the next broadband tier(50MBPS Download & 5mbps upload) from the ISP solve the high jitters (always you-server has been high)? The jitters have ranged from 50ms to 199ms since I started testing the past 12 hours, here are the two latest results from my speedtest at 9pm MST.
Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2056 kbps
Upload speed: 321 kbps
Download consistency of service: 60 %
Upload consistency of service: 64 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 117 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 108 ms
Average round trip time to server: 150 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4880 kbps
Route concurrency: 2.3732731
Download TCP forced idle: 28 %
Maximum route speed: 4854 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 71.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 24.4 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 2.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1651 kbps
Upload speed: 335 kbps
Download consistency of service: 85 %
Upload consistency of service: 42 %
Maximum TCP delay: 282 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 105 ms
Average round trip time to server: 134 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4720 kbps
Route concurrency: 2.8581395
Download TCP forced idle: 17 %
Maximum route speed: 4993 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 60.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.7 ms
Packet discards: 27.6 %
Estimated MOS score: 2.5
#99805 by Jiminy
Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 am
Hello lbmofo

Thats one of the problems, I can't get into this modem, it is the ISP's and they don't allow me in on the plan I have, if I pay for a higher tier I can get a wireless modem that will allow me access but not with this one. I spent several hours with the ISP and finally got someone that knew enough to help me out. After going through all the usual (unplug modem, disconnect coax, etc.) which I had already tried I asked him when the last time my modem was "upgraded" and he said a year ago and would do an upgrade. Since then (15 minutes ago) my jitter has dropped quite a bit, hopefully it is not just because of line traffic in my area but an actual solution. Here is my latest speedtest. We will see how the call quality is over the next few days.

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2511 kbps
Upload speed: 369 kbps
Download consistency of service: 76 %
Upload consistency of service: 31 %
Maximum TCP delay: 83 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 107 ms
Average round trip time to server: 109 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 3920 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.5605941
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 4899 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 7.9 ms
Packet discards: 1.6 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0
#99807 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:18 am
Jiminy, much better numbers but still don't like the packet discards.

Can you not connect to the modem status page by going to: http://192.168.100.1 ?

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV.
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV

If you are DOCSIS 3 service, the tolerance needs to be tighter. Something like upstream power less than 50 dBmV and downstream power between -7 and 7 dBmV.
#99809 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:53 am
Jiminy:
Without a doubt there is a problem with the Modem or with the Internet provider's signal, or both.

Sometimes you can un-power the Modem, then repower the modem and that will help.
Note: Some modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed for a successful reboot or reset can be accomplished, reference the Modem manufacture's manual. As soon as the reboot or reset is accomplished, run Phonepower Speedtest again to see if you have improvement.

Another thing, since your upload and download speeds are low, pay attention the different times of the day to see if your Internet signal is better or worse, at different times of the day. At different times of the day the load on the Internet provider varies, because there are more or less users online, and when the load becomes heavier, the Jitter and lost packets increase accordingly.
#99811 by Jiminy
Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 pm
Hello Ibmfo and Thunderbird

Thanks for your comments and assistance. No I cannot access my modem (link you provided or otherways I have tried), I even called ISP (Shaw) and they said I cannot access this modem, I have to pay for the next tier up and get a wireless modem I can then access. My speed test jitter numbers have been all over the place, high this morning 9-10am ish, low around 11-noonish and now they are higher again. I have made several calls and they are sometimes great and other times they start breaking up ( I am told by the call receiver), when I speedtest during this time I am showing high jitter #'s. I just spoke to a call service guy at my ISP and being a gamer he understood jitters and lag, he tried to increase some of my download and upload and said that is all he can do unless I want to get the next tier. I am thinking this is my last option, I will pick up a new modem and pay for the next tier and try it out to see if I have any success, at least I will be able to see what my modem is then doing :o . If not I can always return it and see if DSL will provide better results. Speedtest from 10 minutes ago and one just taken.

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1727 kbps
Upload speed: 418 kbps
Download consistency of service: 87 %
Upload consistency of service: 32 %
Maximum TCP delay: 130 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 106 ms
Average round trip time to server: 126 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 8800 kbps
Route concurrency: 5.0933943
Download TCP forced idle: 53 %
Maximum route speed: 4946 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 89.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.4 ms
Packet discards: 33.8 %
Estimated MOS score: 1.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1611 kbps
Upload speed: 396 kbps
Download consistency of service: 71 %
Upload consistency of service: 61 %
Maximum TCP delay: 127 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 108 ms
Average round trip time to server: 146 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4240 kbps
Route concurrency: 2.6316442
Download TCP forced idle: 15 %
Maximum route speed: 4854 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 53.4 ms
Packet discards: 17.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 2.8
#99851 by computerdoc
Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:31 pm
I had a similar problem with Verizon Fios. I discovered that my Online Backup was eating my bandwidth. When I turned it off, the problems basically disappeared.

If you have an online backup program running all the time and especially if it's initially loading, it can affect your line quality to the point of destroying your phone service. Schedule it for off hours.

http://www.askthecomputerdoc.com/blog/c ... onnection/