This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#101115 by thunderbird
Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 pm
Clemsonu88:
Connect a network cable from the Home port of the Ooma Telo to the Wired LAN port of a computer. If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer, temorarily turn it off. Reboot the computer. Then type http://172.27.35.1 in your browser window, to access Ooma Setup.

If you are hearing lag and the conversation from both parties talking at the same time, "step on each other", see if there is a "Link Duplex:" (or words that are simular), setting in the WAN section of your Router. If so set it to Full-Duplex. Some times the modem also has this setting, if so set it to Full-Duplex. Full-Duplex is what Ooma needs to have two way conversations (two people talking at the same time, and able to hear each other).
#101141 by Clemsonu88
Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:25 pm
Thanks for the quick reply Thunderbird. I won't be able to work on this again until Monday evening, so no rush on the next reply. :) I looked EVERYWHERE on my AT&T NetGear 7550 router/modem and couldn't find anything that said "duplex" or "half duplex" or "full duplex" either in the description or as an option in a drop down box. Here are the tabs I saw when I logged onto my router/modem.

Login
Connection Information
Check Connection
Wireless
Advanced (under the Advanced tabs were the following tabs)
- Connection Configuration
- PPP Location
- Change Device Access Code
- Security
- Port Forwarding
- Port Triggering
- ALG
- Statistics
- Manual Update
- Scheduled Update
- Reset Gateway
- Log
- Technician Readout

I clicked on every single one of those tabs and saw a ton of info, but I never saw anything that said full duplex, half duplex, or duplex. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Grubb
#101145 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:10 am
Clemsonu88:
Maybe you can call AT&T and see if they know of/or where there are any duplex settings, are located in the AT&T NetGear 7550 router/modem?

You might look in the AT&T NetGear 7550 router/modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure. If so do the reset per the owner's maual. Note: some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have successful reset or reboot, reference your Modem/Router Owner's manual.
Make test phone calls to see if the Quality of Service improves.

If you are renting that modem/router from AT&T, try getting another modem/router and see if your Ooma Quality of Service improves.

If you continue to have problems:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#101169 by dcaslin
Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am
So I've started having bad echo problems in the last few weeks. I just ran the speed test after confirming echo problems before and after. Here's my results (they look good to me):

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 20843 kbps
Upload speed: 4161 kbps
Download constistency of service: 31%
Upload consistency of service: 98%
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 91ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 88 ms
Average round trip time to server: 90 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24800 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.18
Docnload TCP foced idle: 76%
Max route speed: ---

Voip test stats
---------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.5ms
Jiter: server --> you: 0.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Note that this test was run behind my ooma device. After the speed test was run, I updated my advanced QoS settings to upload at 3000kpbs, but still had echo on the other line when I tested. Note that earlier today I also had a fast busy and an instant Voice mail pickup when I tried to call my Ooma number. Are OOMA's servers having issues or something?
#101170 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:59 am
dcaslin:
Download constistency of service: 31%...........Should be around 80%, but this problem shouldn't cause echo.
And because your Download speed is high, and looking at your other Phonepower Speedtest values, you still probably shouldn't be having any problems.

Echo for a very few people, started with the last Ooma Telo firmware update. Some people have contacted Ooma Customer Service, third level service, and had them roll back the latest firmware update, to the previous firmware update.

The next firmware update is expected to correct the echo problems.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#101171 by dcaslin
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am
Thanks for the quick reply!

I performed the roll back procedure detailed above, and got a single busy signal type beep sound followed by a reboot (so it's not clear to me that it did anything). My test subject said the echo was better but not totally gone after. I then turned down my earpiece volume on my handset (3rd party VTech system) and was told it was nearly ok.
#101172 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 am
dcaslin wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!

I performed the roll back procedure detailed above, and got a single busy signal type beep sound followed by a reboot (so it's not clear to me that it did anything). My test subject said the echo was better but not totally gone after. I then turned down my earpiece volume on my handset (3rd party VTech system) and was told it was nearly ok.

The current version of software is 60080. The roll back previous version is 52474.

You may access the firmware version number by accessing and viewing it in Ooma Setup, or dialing *#*#001 with a phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port - Speaks the version of software from Ooma Telo speaker.

Yes certain phones will increase the echo problem. DECT 6 phones are usually best.