This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#97419 by oomauser11
Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 am
I'm trying to change my Telo configuration from modem -> Telo -> router to modem -> router -> Telo.

My router (Linksys EA4500) allows for a QoS setting for a Voice Device by putting in the Voice Device's MAC address.

My confusion is that I see a couple of different MAC addresses for the Telo. There's a MAC address on the bottom of the Telo. But there's a different address in the ooma setup page on the Internet tab under "Internet Port MAC Address" - Automatic and another different one on the Home Network tab under "Home Network Port MAC Address."

My question simply is - which of the three MAC address do I use in the routers QoS setting for the Ooma device?

Thanks for any help and advice.
#97420 by lbmofo
Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 am
Use the one that shows up in your router (this is the "To Internet" port of Ooma which is +1 from the MAC printed on the bottom of the Ooma).
#97421 by murphy
Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:51 am
Configure the Telo to use the built-in MAC address and use that value.

It is one higher than the one on the label.
The one on the label is the MAC address of the home port.
#98135 by murphy
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 pm
JumpingJackFlash wrote:Are you saying I need to add 1 to the last set of numbers in the MAC Address when entering it into the router?

If you got the MAC address from the label on the bottom of the Telo, yes.
#99195 by lbmofo
Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm
onemikeone wrote:There is also a setting for alg to enable or disable. Can you advise?

Although I don't know much about this ALG setting, I would take the default setting and change it later if it poses problems. There are many other settings that I do not know about which I just took default on. One exception though, if your router has automatic upload bandwidth measurement setting, change it to manual and set it to what you measure at speedtest.net.
#99199 by murphy
Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:06 am
onemikeone wrote:There is also a setting for alg to enable or disable. Can you advise?

If that setting is called SIP ALG it should be disabled.
#125950 by Ricker
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:10 am
How important is a QoS setting on a router?
#125952 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 am
If you upload big files a lot of times (during phone calls), might be important. For most people, QoS router may not be needed. Of course, router QoS is only if your Telo is connected to the router.