This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#95576 by renatae
Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 pm
I've read a lot of older posts about faxing with Ooma and been pretty leery of it. My husband recently started working out of a home office and we will probably need faxing capabilities. I'm considering buying a Brother MFC-J220 for this but I have questions about whether or not we should just get a landline put back in or what.

I've read the Ooma support topic on faxing, and it says I can use a dedicated number (I'm assuming I can use one of the nine allowed numbers with Ooma Premier for this) and that sounds like the best plan. However, it says we need one or more Telo handsets to use for the phone. Our current setup is one Telo handset and a Panasonic set. Does this mean I can't use the Panasonics and would have to replace them with Telos? (Groan.)

If I do this, would the Fax be automatically networked via the Telo?

Thanks in advance!
#95586 by thunderbird
Sat May 05, 2012 1:52 pm
renatae wrote:I've read a lot of older posts about faxing with Ooma and been pretty leery of it. My husband recently started working out of a home office and we will probably need faxing capabilities. I'm considering buying a Brother MFC-J220 for this but I have questions about whether or not we should just get a landline put back in or what.

renatae wrote:I've read the Ooma support topic on faxing, and it says I can use a dedicated number (I'm assuming I can use one of the nine allowed numbers with Ooma Premier for this) and that sounds like the best plan. However, it says we need one or more Telo handsets to use for the phone. Our current setup is one Telo handset and a Panasonic set. Does this mean I can't use the Panasonics and would have to replace them with Telos? (Groan.)

This only means that you would need an Ooma Telo Handset in order to use the two line Premier feature, (talk on one line using the Ooma Telo Handset and Fax on the other line at the same time).

The Panasonic phones would work as usual, as long as a fax isn't be sent or received.
renatae wrote:If I do this, would the Fax be automatically networked via the Telo?
Thanks in advance!

The fax would be sent or received, using fax machine connected to a phone line, connected to the Ooma Telo phone port.

Caution: Faxing using Ooma has been hit or miss.

I myself have has pretty good luck Faxing, but others have had many problems.
#95592 by renatae
Sun May 06, 2012 6:19 am
Thanks so much, Thunderbird!

I've read that faxing can be hit or miss, but thought I would give it a try and if all else fails, resort to a landline.

Thanks again!
#95593 by thunderbird
Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 am
renatae wrote:Thanks so much, Thunderbird!

I've read that faxing can be hit or miss, but thought I would give it a try and if all else fails, resort to a landline.

Thanks again!

Helpful hint:
When you receive your new Fax Machine:

Try testing with the HP Fax test number. After you send the fax to HP, within 5 minutes, HP will send a return Fax to your Fax machine.

HP Fax Test number 1-888-473-2963. (This number works with any Fax machine).

You can also go online and search for Fax Services. Some are free or charge very little.
#95611 by harry12
Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm
For what it's worth, I have an old Brother All-in-One printer ( MFC-665CW ). Using *99, manual FAXing presents no problems. I do not use the telephone answering machine in the Brother printer, but use another stand alone answering machine. I do have several assigned 'phone numbers but only use one for FAXing.

My only REAL problem; something is dropping my wireless system to half-duplex. Can't hardly wait 'til the new 802.11ac
standard is out. :D
#95613 by thunderbird
Mon May 07, 2012 3:41 am
harry12 wrote:For what it's worth, I have an old Brother All-in-One printer ( MFC-665CW ). Using *99, manual FAXing presents no problems. I do not use the telephone answering machine in the Brother printer, but use another stand alone answering machine. I do have several assigned 'phone numbers but only use one for FAXing.

My only REAL problem; something is dropping my wireless system to half-duplex. Can't hardly wait 'til the new 802.11ac
standard is out. :D

More on the 802.11AC standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

The Ooma devices are 100 MZ full-duplex devices. Sometimes, for various reasons, the home LAN will switch between Full-duplex and Half-duplex. This switching can cause an unstable condition, which causes all sorts of Ooma phone system problems.

Please try the following procedure. It is not tried and true, and may not work with all installations and equipment, but it has promise and won't hurt.

Attempt to Force the Modem to use 100 MB Full-Duplex: (written for Windows XP, other Microsoft operating systems procedures are similar).
Use a computer that is normally connected to your homes LAN with a network cable, (Not connected using Wi-Fi).
In the computer, access My Network Places by right clicking on the My network Places Icon. Then go down and click on Properties. This same window can be opened by accessing Network Places in the Control Panel folder.
Next right click on the (enabled) Local Area Connection Properties Icon.
In the window that opens, with the General tab selected, under Connect Using: click on the Configure button. In the window that opens, Click on the Advanced tab. Highlight Speed/Duplex settings or Link Speed/Duplex Mode (different LAN cards have slightly different wording). At the right under Value: select 100 Mb Full Duplex or 100 Full Mode (different LAN cards have slightly different wording). Go to the bottom of the window and click on the OK button. Close any other open windows.
Open Internet Explorer and make sure you can access a site like Google. Next make and receive test phone calls to see if this procedure helps.

If this doesn't work, set up 100 MZ Full-duplex in all of your computers that are connected to your LAN, using wired network cables. Then test again.

Please report in this forum if this procedure helps or don't help.
#95648 by harry12
Mon May 07, 2012 5:52 pm
OK T'Bird, I'll give it another shot ( actually it isn't that bothersome ). But right now, Wifey has done something strange to her PC. When I asked about her latest backup, there was this er, um, sheepish look. Might require starting WIN7 from the beginning. That is, prior to Service Pack 1. :shock: