This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94570 by upspartan
Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am
Same problems here as studly. Started about 2 weeks ago after 9 months of good performance. At a loss for what to do, but can continue this way. Keep loosing calls, garbled incoming voice, person on other ends reports my voice leaves the scene for a couple of seconds at a time. Not good.
#94576 by Mark
Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm
Yes, I have had these same problems since about Xmas or a little before. I have also called tech support and they suggested that I run the tests for speed, etc, which I had already done......or maybe I should buy their new equipment...hmmm

Anybody having some success at fixing this. At this point, it is cheaper to go with the Comcast full package rather than buying a new ooma hub.
#94584 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 pm
Is everyone that is having the "Bad Quality In Minnesota" using Ooma Hubs, or Ooma Telos?

If you are using an Ooma Hub, a new firmware update revision 55187.55187 is just being released. Does anyone have the new Ooma Hub Firmware update revision 55187.55187, and if so, does it make a difference with your problem?
#94587 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:43 am
upspartan wrote:I have an Ooma Telo, and have the same problems as others in MN.

Access Ooma Setup.
Procedure is for Ooma Telo only:
If you Ooma Setup is Modem-Ooma-Router, type http://172.27.35.1 in you computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.
If your Ooma Setup is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma device's Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Tempoarily turn off Wi-Fi in the Computer, If Wi-Fi is turned on in the Computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in you computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

Click on the Tools tab at left lower side of page. Then click on the Port Scan Tab.
Next click on Basic Scan button. Report any Denied Ports : here (Cut and Paste).
Also report how your Ooma is connected, Modem-Ooma-Router, or Modem-Router-Ooma.
#94646 by rajdonthi
Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 pm
I am having exactly the same issue. This has been going on for quite a while and I was thinking my wife was ignoring me. Now I am on vacation and have been trying to use the phone with disgust. I have been with CSR for OOMA for past couple of days without much help. They tried to trouble shoot the exact same steps reported before, with no success. Tried to see if any problem with my cable company - Charter, no issues there. Will wait till tomorrow morning and call them again!!!?? - Do what??!!!
#94806 by Studly
Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:10 pm
thunderbird wrote:Is everyone that is having the "Bad Quality In Minnesota" using Ooma Hubs, or Ooma Telos?

If you are using an Ooma Hub, a new firmware update revision 55187.55187 is just being released. Does anyone have the new Ooma Hub Firmware update revision 55187.55187, and if so, does it make a difference with your problem?


I have two hubs that I've experienced this problem on. I do have that firmware version now ... not sure when I got it. I haven't had any problems since last week, but haven't made many calls since then. Previously, it seemed that about 30% of my outgoing calls typically had this problem (but incoming calls were fine). I'll report back when I notice the problem again.

T-bird, what is that firmware update supposed to fix? How do you know when new updates are coming out?

As an update: I called Ooma tech support again late last week, and it seems I'm talking to a call center in India, and the guy didn't know much about the hub. I had to correct him on what he was trying to have me do and what screen settings in the admin panel that he was trying to have me change .. he wouldn't forward my issue to a higher level support, and wouldn't give me any response to the previous incident # that I gave him, just gave me a new case # and we're beginning the whole process over.

With e-mail support not responding to me any more, phone support being pathetic and unhelpful, and the Ooma employees who are moderators not responding to the private messages I've sent politely asking for their assistance, I think Ooma is on a steep downhill slide. Not sure if the company is losing money and understaffed in the support dept or what, but it's not been a pleasant experience for this long-time Ooma customer.
#94808 by Studly
Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm
Regarding my post above about the firmware update, just talked to my wife who said she experienced the bad call quality this morning on an outgoing call. So apparently the firmware update didn't fix the problem, unless my hub just update today, after she made the call.
#94810 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:43 pm
Studly wrote:I have two hubs that I've experienced this problem on. I do have that firmware version now ... not sure when I got it. I haven't had any problems since last week, but haven't made many calls since then. Previously, it seemed that about 30% of my outgoing calls typically had this problem (but incoming calls were fine). I'll report back when I notice the problem again.

T-bird, what is that firmware update supposed to fix? How do you know when new updates are coming out?

For the Ooma Telo firmware updates, the changes are posted in the forum. But for the Ooma Hub, I didn't see any posting of what the update was supposed to do.
For the Ooma Hub firmware updates, there are almost never any Ooma Hub firmware updates any more. For the Ooma Telo and Ooma Hub, we very seldom know of an up coming firmware update. Just all of a sudden, someone posts that they received and new firmware update for their Ooma device.
Studly wrote:As an update: I called Ooma tech support again late last week, and it seems I'm talking to a call center in India, and the guy didn't know much about the hub. I had to correct him on what he was trying to have me do and what screen settings in the admin panel that he was trying to have me change .. he wouldn't forward my issue to a higher level support, and wouldn't give me any response to the previous incident # that I gave him, just gave me a new case # and we're beginning the whole process over.

With e-mail support not responding to me any more, phone support being pathetic and unhelpful, and the Ooma employees who are moderators not responding to the private messages I've sent politely asking for their assistance, I think Ooma is on a steep downhill slide. Not sure if the company is losing money and understaffed in the support dept or what, but it's not been a pleasant experience for this long-time Ooma customer.

I'm guessing that right now all of the Ooma (Engineers) Moderators are so busy working on the past due release of new Ooma Telo Handsets, that they don't have time for anything else.

Since there are several people in your area of the country (in the Minnesota area) are having the same problems, the problems are probably caused by a carrier routing issue.

Some thing else to try:
One person posted that he was having only outbound calling issues. He found out that a fax machine connected to his home phone wiring, that was connected to the Ooma device's Phone port, was causing the problem.
Just to make sure, you could connect just one corded phone to your Ooma Hub's phone port (with nothing else connected to the Omma device phone port), with all wireless phone bases, fax machines, etc, and maybe even the router, all unpowered, (since your Ooma connection is Modem-Ooma-Router), and then test. (This includes disconnecting and unpowering the Ooma Scout).

Some thing else:
The other thing you could try is to disconnect your Ooma Hub and take it to a friend or family member's home to test from there, using their Internet and their Modem. If your Ooma Hub functions properly at the friend or relatives house, but not yours, you should look into the Modem as being the problem. The Modem may be having intermittent operations.?

Everyone reading this post that is having this problem in the Minnesota area, should at least contact Ooma Customer Support outlining their problem with an E-mail. (The squeaky wheel gets the oil, so the more people that complain, the more likely that Ooma will work on the problem).
#96482 by Studly
Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 pm
Just an update to my original post. After many hours on the phone and on email with tech support, we finally got through to Jeremy in 3rd level support at Ooma. He was able to check the stats on our bad calls and noticed that our bad outbound calls were being routed down to California (not sure where they are normally routed to) and there was a lot of packet loss on that Ooma server when they were routed there, which was causing our bad outbound call quality. In other words, he verified that the problem was on their end. He thought they'd easily be able to fix that by setting their servers so it didn't route our calls through the bad one, and he referred it to engineering and said he'd get back to us in a couple days.

Well, in the usual Ooma style, he didn't get back to us, so we called and left many messages on his voice mail for weeks asking if there was any progress on the issue. No response. Finally after calling 1st level support and getting them to transfer us to 3rd level support, Jeremy answered, and then he said he still hadn't gotten a resolution from engineering. Then he got back to us a day or two later and wanted us to test the line again, assumably because they had made some changes. We tested our line and still had bad outbound call quality on some calls so we let him know.

Now he just emailed us to say they can't fix the problem any time soon, and will reimburse us if we want to port our number out of Ooma to another service. We'll likely have to do that, but how disappointing it is to buy all the Ooma equipment we have and then find out they have problems they're not willing to fix and now we'll have to switch to another service.

We'll have to note this in all the VOIP review sites where a couple years ago we left all positive reviews for Ooma. Now we'll update all the Ooma reviews on those sites and talk about how disappointing the service has been in recent months and they can't resolve their known technical problems. It's too bad!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests