This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93637 by wsgoldberg
Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:22 pm
Hi all,

I'm a computer guy, but only know a little networking. Both my girlfriend and I have ooma telo boxes (no other ooma products). Hers 6 months old, mine 3 months. A few call problems happened, only after we BOTH got ooma. When only she had ooma, we didn't notice any problems.

We both have RCN cable internet (hers 5Mbit, mine 10Mbit).

Our first problem was call quality, usually a warbly/choppy sound on calls (sort of like voice volume up & down, sometimes words partly chopped off too). It happened mostly when we called each other, and we tried some suggestions on this forum... moved wireless handset farther from telo, tried a plain wired phone instead, set QOS parameters. Nothing helped much, so we updated her quite-old router to a much newer Dlink, and the "warble/chop" got much better, BUT calls often would suddenly stop sending voice in one direction. (they'd start ok, suddenly, I hear her, she cannot hear ANYTHING from me). It is always I who can hear, and she who can not. These problems happen almost always when we call each other (NOTE: most of our phone calls are to each other. Usually, calls between one of us and a 3rd party have good quality)

I did once get the one-way sound problem when I called a 3rd party (suddenly I couldn't hear them, they could hear me). That only happened after I moved my wireless phone "base unit" fairly close to the ooma telo unit.

My setup is cablemodem - Ooma - wireless router.
Hers is usually cable-modem- wireless router - ooma

We haven't been able to exchange that for her, as her network is shared by someone who does computer work, and every
variation we tried hurts his wireless-n internet access speed (down as much as 90%, and once his torrents stopped entirely). We tried the recommended Ooma QOS parameters (when ooma was next to the cable modem) and he still had trouble. I think the brief times that OOMA was next to the cable modem, the call quality improved (but the wireless access always degraded).

We only used the QOS parameter when we tried OOMA between the cable modem & the router.

I just tried a third router (I swapped my few year old Trendnet TEW 631-brp for her Dlink), and set Trendnet's "streamengine" (its like QOS) to give OOMA connections priority (at her home). No results yet.

I did the recent update of OOma firmware on my OOMA telo (I THINK we updated hers too). I'm tempted to swap our OOMA telos (I think that is supposed to work) and see if the "can't hear" problem flips to the opposite direction ( to see if the can't hear direction follows the OOMA telo unit, maybe we have one faulty telo?).

Any suggestions or similar problem experience would be MUCH appreciated.
THANKS
Bill
#93640 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:32 pm
wsgoldberg:
I have been having the same exact problem, and much worse when calling Ooma to Ooma also.

I'm at the point where I think that one of the Ooma devices is bad, or the problem is on the Ooma side.

Please report this problem to Ooma Customer Support, and let the forum know of your progress.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#93663 by wsgoldberg
Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am
Hello thunderbird et. al,

Can you clarify which symptoms you are seeing? (chop, garble, one-way muting)

I just emailed the problem to support@oomacare.com. The one-way muting happened again (since the last router change). It happened in the same direction as always.

I hope to try putting ooma first (at her place) with the newer router (to improve their other internet access speeds). That seems to work better for ooma, however, I did get one-way muting at least once, even with my configuration having ooma direct-connected to the internet.

Bill
#93665 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am
wsgoldberg wrote:Hello thunderbird et. al,

Can you clarify which symptoms you are seeing? (chop, garble, one-way muting)

I just emailed the problem to support@oomacare.com. The one-way muting happened again (since the last router change). It happened in the same direction as always.

I hope to try putting ooma first (at her place) with the newer router (to improve their other internet access speeds). That seems to work better for ooma, however, I did get one-way muting at least once, even with my configuration having ooma direct-connected to the internet.

Bill

This is what I sent:
Our Ooma Telo phone system won't connect most of the time, and if it does connect, is very choppy. Sometime the voice sounds like ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah etc. Most of the time when someone is calling or we are calling out, they/we can't get through to the other party. The phone will ring either at our end when being called or on the other end when we are calling, but the party on the other end still hears the phone ringing after the phone is picked up, or we hear the phone ringing, and there is no connection ever made. I made several test calls, inbound and out bound to verify these symtoms.

We have a second Ooma Telo, that we are using most of the time, that is working okay.
#94260 by wsgoldberg
Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:18 am
Hi,

I've worked around this problem... did not really solve it. Worst (by far) when calling between two ooma users. The 2nd user had
: internet-router-ooma
because they did computer work and it seemed ooma was slowing their other internet access. They upgraded their PC wireless-N, and got faster internet with Ooma next to the internet, so they are now
: internet - ooma - router
That vastly improved our phone calls. I conclude that if you can't put ooma between your internet and router, you are far more likely to have call problems.

PS. Ooma support did respond genericly, BUT did offer a phone number to call if the standard stuff didnt fix the problem. I just found this solution first and was too tired to keep playing detective
#94265 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm
For me, I found if I powered off the Ooma Telo for 1 hour, several times in a row, I could at least for a short period of time, have a clear Ooma to Ooma conversation.

But my problem seems to have cleared up completely by replacing my Ooma Telo, and Ooma did some testing; made some changes, (I believe carrier routing changes) also on their end.