This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93358 by leob
Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 pm
When I call my parents who live in Moscow, Russia, more often than not I hear 2 or 2 1/2 US-style ringing tones (dual frequency), then some silence, as if somebody picked up (I say "Hello? Hello?"), then, after a pause, Russian-style ringing tones (single frequency). Then I realize that they aren't home and hang up; a charge for 1 minute appears on my prepaid calls list nevertheless. Several times I had to call customer service to reverse the charges, but this is getting annoying.

Why does it happen and what is planned to address the problem?
#93360 by EX Bell
Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 am
Isn't it three pennys per minute to call Moscow?
#93363 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:01 am
leob wrote:When I call my parents who live in Moscow, Russia, more often than not I hear 2 or 2 1/2 US-style ringing tones (dual frequency), then some silence, as if somebody picked up (I say "Hello? Hello?"), then, after a pause, Russian-style ringing tones (single frequency). Then I realize that they aren't home and hang up; a charge for 1 minute appears on my prepaid calls list nevertheless. Several times I had to call customer service to reverse the charges, but this is getting annoying.

Why does it happen and what is planned to address the problem?

This same thing happens when my wife calls China, and the call doesn't go through and is un-answered. When Ooma Customer Support is called, they always credit back the fourteen cents or ten cents that is charged for these calls that was never answered. But I like you, think there should be no charge, if the phone on the other end was never picked up.
#93370 by leob
Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:27 am
EX Bell wrote:Isn't it three pennys per minute to call Moscow?

Actually, it's seven (including the connection fee). Your point being? This is not supposed to happen no matter how cheap it is. I'm a customer, not a benefactor.
#93374 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:30 pm
This is a problem faced with many international call providers. Third parties often charge for calls, terminated or not, hence Ooma would not know the difference. Just bing "why am i getting charged for unanswered calls," you'd know.
#93386 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:This is a problem faced with many international call providers. Third parties often charge for calls, terminated or not, hence Ooma would not know the difference. Just bing "why am i getting charged for unanswered calls," you'd know.

When I report this problem to Ooma, Ooma will quickly check and will alway know if the call was answered by the party on the other end, or not answered. So it seems like with a little progarm, each International call could be checked and charged or or not charged accordingly.
#93387 by leob
Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 am
thunderbird wrote: So it seems like with a little progarm, each International call could be checked and charged or or not charged accordingly.

Apparently it is more profitable for Ooma to always charge and to reverse the charges for the few who call customer support.

Another thing that happened to me twice is hitting the voicemail button instead of the hangup button on the Telo handset. In this case the call I initiated goes to the voicemail and I got charged for 5 minutes of ringing tones. Why an outgoing call can be switched to voicemail or why there is no way to force hangup on a call once it had been switched to voicemail, is anyone's guess.