This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93087 by Bill D
Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:56 pm
Having been a complainer in the past about delay, I just realized that my calls have all been very "comfortable" for a long time, so I just measured the delay using 909-390-0003. It measured 350 ms (my ping time to www3,ooma.com is 22 ms).

I'm in Orange county California (949), but I also have two more Ooma hubs in south Florida (954), which have also been "comfortable" for a good while. I'll test the delay from them next month.

It's easy to ignore posting about things that work well. I feel bad having only posted complaints in the past, so this post is a big "thumbs up" for the Ooma folks. I've had 3 hubs for 2.5 years and overall I'm very pleased with the great value of Ooma.
#93092 by dansb
Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:17 am
Congratulations to you and your Ooma service. I only wish I could say the same for my voice delay issues. Service quality that meets or exceeds your expatiation does deserve praise but when it does not even meet what I would call normal or as expected call quality what can you do? For over a year I have had voice delay issues, mostly local calls. I have spoken to, emailed and faxed technical support numerous times. They have me "try" this or that, undo what I was told to do, give just plain wrong information, (they still think I have a Telo; I have a hub). Engineering called and after looking at my history admitted I have an issue and I still await a resolution even thought they said they would fix the problem and get right back.
I don't think they realize how frustrating it is to constantly talk over a caller and having to apologize for doing so. Now I just mention Ooma as my service provider so I don't think I am making any new customers. I have asked Ooma to please just be honest and tell me if they can improve my QOS or not. I would find another provider and hope my QOS would improve. I was a fairly early adapter of Ooma and always purchasing Premier Service until recently when I was up for renewal. Hard to pay of premier service when my QOS issue was continuing. So here I am now still wondering what will happen. I truly think they would just like me to port my number elsewhere and their, (and my) issue would just go away. I'm hanging on as long as I can because I think a customer deserves better than promises so far not kept. If they fix my issue my next post will be one of acclamation. Until then I'm crossing my fingers!
#93093 by dansb
Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:17 am
Congratulations to you and your Ooma service. I only wish I could say the same for my voice delay issues. Service quality that meets or exceeds your expatiation does deserve praise but when it does not even meet what I would call normal or as expected call quality what can you do? For over a year I have had voice delay issues, mostly local calls. I have spoken to, emailed and faxed technical support numerous times. They have me "try" this or that, undo what I was told to do, give just plain wrong information, (they still think I have a Telo; I have a hub). Engineering called and after looking at my history admitted I have an issue and I still await a resolution even thought they said they would fix the problem and get right back.
I don't think they realize how frustrating it is to constantly talk over a caller and having to apologize for doing so. Now I just mention Ooma as my service provider so I don't think I am making any new customers. I have asked Ooma to please just be honest and tell me if they can improve my QOS or not. I would find another provider and hope my QOS would improve. I was a fairly early adapter of Ooma and always purchasing Premier Service until recently when I was up for renewal. Hard to pay of premier service when my QOS issue was continuing. So here I am now still wondering what will happen. I truly think they would just like me to port my number elsewhere and their, (and my) issue would just go away. I'm hanging on as long as I can because I think a customer deserves better than promises so far not kept. If they fix my issue my next post will be one of acclamation. Until then I'm crossing my fingers!
#93097 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 am
dansb:
I was reading some of your past posts and you said that you can't make a call without stepping all over the other person's conversation.
That sounds like half-duplex conversation. Half-duplex sounds like delay but isn’t. When the modem is operating at half-duplex, each party has to wait until the other finishes the their conversation, because the circuit being used is one way. Ooma requires Full-Duplex and all other phone companies require full-duplex. Full-duplex is the circuit can support two way traffic at the same time, where you can talk and the other person can talk at the same time, and each hears the other clearly.

The problem can be with your modem or the modem on the other end of the circuit. But almost always, the problem is with the modem on your end.

One way to test is to remove power from your modem. Then repower the modem and test quickly, before the modem reverts back to half-duplex operation. If you hear improvement, you know that your modem or some other device in your home's LAN is causing the problem.

If you don't hear improvement:
To eliminate all devices except your modem do the following.
Remove power from your Modem, Router and Ooma device. Temporarily connect your Ooma device directly to your modem, temporarily leaving the router and any other LAN device disconnected, including your computers. Restart your modem. When the modem is done booting, repower the Ooma device. Then Test.

If you still have problems, to eliminate the modem as the problem, borrow a modem for testing in your home, or take your Ooma device to a friend or relatives house, that is using the same Internet provider that you are using, and connect your Ooma device and test. If you still have problems, the problem most certainly is located on the Ooma side.

But I suspect that you find the problem on your side.?????
#93112 by Bill D
Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
dansb,

What does your Ooma delay measure using 909-390-0003 with Audacity? Also, what is your ping time to www3.ooma.com?

Delay at my two houses has ranged between 300ms and 900 ms since the beginning of 2011 without changing anything on my end. In fact, changing things on my end has never improved or even changed the delay. I got my hubs in Oct 2009 and until the end of 2010, I never noticed any delay, so I didn't measure it.

I think under 400 ms is acceptable to most folks. Much above that and I notice the "stepping on each other" situation. I believe we've all been trained to accept 400 ms from using cell phones. My iPhone 4 on AT&T measures 400 ms.

I remember when I first got a cell phone 20 years ago and I had previously only used to POTS. The delay was very noticeable, but I grew to accept it.

Bill