This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#92426 by catkin938
Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:55 pm
I can't find an exact discussion of this problem although I may have missed it when searching the user forums. The problem is that during calls, I can hear callers perfectly on OOMA using a corded handset which is plugged into my deactivated AT&T home wiring. However, callers constantly complain that they cannot hear me, that my voice is breaking up. Also calls are frequently just dropped with no warning. I have Comcast Internet which Speedtests at 30-35 mbps. I use a Motorola Surfboard Extreme Cable Modem (DOCSIS 3.0). I have a Cisco Linksys E4200 Router. My OOMA is positioned between my modem and my router. Previous support calls to OOMA resulted in my support technician requesting that I set my upload speed at 700 kbps and my download speed at 0 kbps. I don't know what else to try next and I really don't want to have to return to AT&T (my only choice where I live). Any suggestions will be very appreciated with thanks in advance!
#92427 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:00 pm
catkin938 wrote:I can't find an exact discussion of this problem although I may have missed it when searching the user forums. The problem is that during calls, I can hear callers perfectly on OOMA using a corded handset which is plugged into my deactivated AT&T home wiring. However, callers constantly complain that they cannot hear me, that my voice is breaking up. Also calls are frequently just dropped with no warning. I have Comcast Internet which Speedtests at 30-35 mbps. I use a Motorola Surfboard Extreme Cable Modem (DOCSIS 3.0). I have a Cisco Linksys E4200 Router. My OOMA is positioned between my modem and my router. Previous support calls to OOMA resulted in my support technician requesting that I set my upload speed at 700 kbps and my download speed at 0 kbps. I don't know what else to try next and I really don't want to have to return to AT&T (my only choice where I live). Any suggestions will be very appreciated with thanks in advance!

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

Next if you still have problems connect Modem-Router-Ooma. Set Quality of Service settings to zero.
#92894 by bas207
Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:52 pm
I'm having the exact same problems. (Mine started after I switched from Uniden phones to Panasonic phones.) I followed your instructions--typed in http://172.27.35.1 to my browser--and get a message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I did unplug the modem, router, and Ooma after switching to the new phones. (They're both DECT 6.0 Plus phone systems.) Should I have done something additional?

Thanks for the help.
#92900 by murphy
Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 am
bas207 wrote:I'm having the exact same problems. (Mine started after I switched from Uniden phones to Panasonic phones.) I followed your instructions--typed in http://172.27.35.1 to my browser--and get a message that "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I did unplug the modem, router, and Ooma after switching to the new phones. (They're both DECT 6.0 Plus phone systems.) Should I have done something additional?

Thanks for the help.

Did you connect your computer to the Ooma Home port with a LAN cable and disable wireless if it has that capability?