This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#88237 by pshhc
Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:42 pm
I have had several people mention to me that when I call them there is an echo on their end. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix? Or does it just go away with time?

Thanks! :D
#88239 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:20 pm
pshhc wrote:I have had several people mention to me that when I call them there is an echo on their end. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix? Or does it just go away with time?

Thanks! :D

Try slightly turning down the audio volume on your phone(s) that is connected to the Ooma device. If that doesn’t help, ask the party on the other end to slightly turn down their audio volume on their phone.
#88891 by johnnyram
Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:53 am
i have had the same echo problem too. is there anything else we can do to prevent the other party from hearing the echo?
#89210 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:35 pm
Some things that may help with echo:
Reboot your Modem and Ooma device, then place calls and see if there is improvement.
Rebooting the Modem and Ooma device may reset your Modem to operate correctly, changing from a half-duplex condition, to a normal full-duplex condition, which may help with echo and other Quality of Service problems you may be having.

If you are talking and you hear echo, the phone audio volume on the other end may be turned up too high, or the phone on the other end may be defective. Have the person on the other end slightly turn down their phone's audio volume. If that doesn't help, for testing have them try a different phone.

If the phone on the other end is causing the problem, turning down the audio volume on the phone that you are using or speaking with a lowered voice volume level, may help, because it sends a lower volume signal to the defective phone, which may prevent the defective phone from over-driving or creating feedback, and causing an echo.

If the person on the other end is hearing echo, the problem is probably on your end. First slightly turn down the audio volume on your phone. If that doesn't help, try a different phone and test.

For some one that wants to do some deep reading about echo see:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/sol ... #wp1040319

You could contact Ooma Customer Support and report your problem:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

If you contact Ooma Customer Support, please report what help you received to this forum thread, so that others may benefit.
#89998 by Trinacria
Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 pm
I've been having a weird echo problem myself. I have two Telo Handsets and a 3-handset 5.8GHz Panasonic phone handset plugged into the Telo base unit. The echo only occurs on calls dialed out from my Panasonic phones.

- If I dial out with the panasonic, other party hears an echo
- If I transfer an echo-y call (dialed out with Panasonic) to a Telo Handset, the echo disappears. I can even transfer the call BACK to the same Panasonic phone I first dialed out of and the echo remains gone.
- If I dial out using a Telo handset and then transfer the phone call to a Panasonic phone, call quality remains excellent
- If I answer an incoming call with ANY handset (Telo or Panasonic) call quality is just fine on both ends

Not sure if anyone else with echo issues has noticed the same scenarios between Telo and non-Telo handsets, and if so, any advice? Given that the issue occurs only when calls are dialed out by a non-Telo handset, and that the issue can disappear at will simply by switching between the Panasonic to a Telo handset, and that it doesn't happen at all on incoming calls, I'm a bit stumped. Because of the scenarios above, I have to pretty much rule out any internet connectivity issues, handset volume issues, and faulty telephones or cabling. If any of those things were faulty, I would simply not be able to make the problem disappear on the fly simply by flashing the call over to a different handset.
#90016 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 am
Trinacria:
It sounds like you have done a great job of troubleshooting your echo problem.

I have DECT 6 Panasonic phones that sometimes has echo when calling just one caller that also has Panasonic phones. The person that I talk to, who is an older lady, has her phones set to full volume. I can get her to set her volume level down by two bars; there is no echo at all. But she has some trouble hearing, so...

The last time I talked to her, I turned my phone volume down by two bars and the echo also went away.
If you haven't tried turning down the volume on your Panasonic phone(s), temporarily set the volume level down and do a test.