This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87970 by WJBertrand
Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 am
My wife has complained to me that on a few occasions when she is talking on the phone the caller at the other end hears keypad tones as though my wife is pressing the phone buttons. She of course says she is not pressing any buttons and cannot hear the tones on her end. I know it happened last night when she made an outgoing call to her brother, I'm not sure if it happens on incoming calls or not. What is the cause of this and is there a fix? Thanks!
#87984 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:48 am
WJBertrand wrote:My wife has complained to me that on a few occasions when she is talking on the phone the caller at the other end hears keypad tones as though my wife is pressing the phone buttons. She of course says she is not pressing any buttons and cannot hear the tones on her end. I know it happened last night when she made an outgoing call to her brother, I'm not sure if it happens on incoming calls or not. What is the cause of this and is there a fix? Thanks!

The tones are called DTMF tones, used for dialing, but in this case are cause by your wife's voice. Often by turning your wife's phone audio slightly down, will help.
#87991 by WJBertrand
Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 am
thunderbird wrote:
WJBertrand wrote:My wife has complained to me that on a few occasions when she is talking on the phone the caller at the other end hears keypad tones as though my wife is pressing the phone buttons. She of course says she is not pressing any buttons and cannot hear the tones on her end. I know it happened last night when she made an outgoing call to her brother, I'm not sure if it happens on incoming calls or not. What is the cause of this and is there a fix? Thanks!

The tones are called DTMF tones, used for dialing, but in this case are cause by your wife's voice. Often by turning your wife's phone audio slightly down, will help.


Thanks, I don't remember seeing an adjustment for the microphone part of the handset, is that what you mean? I think there's just an adjustment for the ear piece volume, but I'll double check. Why does this happen on Ooma and not on our previous land line with the same exact phone? Thanks!
#88021 by Pro154
Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:25 am
I have this problem too with DTMF tones interrupting our conversations rudely. Always seems to be the same tone. Ooma please fix this.
#88023 by harry12
Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 am
From 'murphy'
Female voices are more prone to the touchtone problem than male voices are.
The problem has existed as long as touchtones have existed.
The industry name for it is "talkoff".

You can read a lot about it by Googling touchtone talkoff

I'm not suggesting here, that you change your wife! :shock: Only that it
is a wider than OOMA problem.
#88025 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 am
WJBertrand wrote:Thanks, I don't remember seeing an adjustment for the microphone part of the handset, is that what you mean? I think there's just an adjustment for the ear piece volume, but I'll double check. Why does this happen on Ooma and not on our previous land line with the same exact phone? Thanks!

Adjusting the phone's audio volume will effect both.
#88041 by Greg4ooma
Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:43 pm
My sister was complaining about this last night when I was talking to her. I thought she was hearing things, but looks like this is actually happening.

I called her. she thought I kept pushing buttons. and she said she definately wasn't.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests