This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87359 by str1der
Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm
Well I have the new version and it hasn't helped at all. I still can't have a conversation for more than 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the quality starts getting worse and worse until it's unusable. This is really starting to suck especially since I have a 20 MB internet connection.
#87362 by lbmofo
Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm
str1der wrote:Well I have the new version and it hasn't helped at all. I still can't have a conversation for more than 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the quality starts getting worse and worse until it's unusable. This is really starting to suck especially since I have a 20 MB internet connection.

Have you checked out this thread about Voice Quality Issues? viewtopic.php?t=10023
It isn't the speed of your broadband but the quality. For folks that don't want to spend too much time investigating, I usually suggest that they replace their modem (if Ooma right after modem) or put Ooma before router temporarily (if Ooma after router) to see if it makes any difference in quality (to isolate router issues).

Here is another reason I think the way I think:

jblock312 wrote:Now a 4 with new modem/router. Previously about a 3.76 with occasional blurbles.
Those of you with issues might try borrowing a different router, to see if that helps.
I have dsl.
#87374 by WJBertrand
Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:58 pm
I recieved 49339 today. I wasn't having any particular problems, and I don't notice any difference to before. Jumped all the way from 47785.
#87378 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:49 pm
str1der wrote:Well I have the new version and it hasn't helped at all. I still can't have a conversation for more than 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the quality starts getting worse and worse until it's unusable. This is really starting to suck especially since I have a 20 MB internet connection.

Be sure and try this also:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.
#87408 by jph
Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:59 pm
Received 49339 last night and today had a 30min call with 1/2 Robotic, at least with the other firmware it would fade in & out. I have been dealing with this problem for 5 months, I have read the all the forums and appreciate everybody input but CS seems to be shooting in the dark. I had a Tech tell me to unplug the Telo from the surge suppressor that it could cause the problem. I didn't realize to save a buck I would have to learn another language (ROBOTIC)

any help would be appreciated.
#87409 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:04 pm
jph wrote:Received 49339 last night and today had a 30min call with 1/2 Robotic, at least with the other firmware it would fade in & out. I have been dealing with this problem for 5 months, I have read the all the forums and appreciate everybody input but CS seems to be shooting in the dark. I had a Tech tell me to unplug the Telo from the surge suppressor that it could cause the problem. I didn't realize to save a buck I would have to learn another language (ROBOTIC)

any help would be appreciated.

It sure is a disappointment to hear that the Robotic voice is still present. I had some odd noises while on a phone call today. But they were more like DTMF tones, or Fax sounds, for about ten seconds then everything was okay again. My Internet signal has been pulsing lately, noted by my computer browser freezing and then starting for short periods of time, and I think that was probably my problem.

How do you have your Ooma Connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#87410 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 pm
I might have missed it but this "robotic" issue, is this only on Telo or do Hub users experience this too? I haven't.