This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#86288 by berriesandnuts
Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:15 pm
I was investigating some call quality issues on my ooma telo setup at home. I was getting some static & tunnel/echo sort of sound. I was going through the topics on voice quality suggestions. Before I had a chance to try any, I answered a call and to my surprise, I was hearing another voice besides the person I was talking to.

Now, I should mention the following circumstance which I don't know if it has any effect or not, but maybe someone has similar circumstances and can offer an opinion. There is another tenant where I live that also has an ooma telo. We (as far as I know) share a cable modem line drop coming from a pole. Where it enters the residence, it goes through a splitter, one to the tenant, one to me. I wonder if it was their voice that I was hearing at the time. It is the first time I have ever noticed it.

In any case, the bandwith reported by my telo says: 567 Kbits/sec. I'm assuming that is good enough. I've also set the QOS for downstream and upstream to "0" to see if that resolves the static I was hearing sometimes usually after being on the phone for several minutes. I'll see how that goes, but the "party line" thing concerns me.
#86301 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:06 am
berriesandnuts:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Also please go to topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12316&start=10 and list the Area code and Internet provider information.
#86332 by berriesandnuts
Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:50 pm
I will do that.
Also, here are the tests from phonepower:

Download Speed: ____14.9__Mbps_____
Upload Seed: ____492 kbps______
Download Consistency of Service ___45_____
Upload Consistency of Service ____99_____
Maximum TCP Delay _____82ms________
Jitter you server _____2.1_ms____
Jitter server you __3.2 ms_______
Packet loss: you server ___0____
Packet loss: server you ___0___
Packet discards ______0___
Packets out of order ___0______
Estimated MOS score __4.2______
#86338 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:08 pm
berriesandnuts:
Your Speedtest results look good.

If your Party Line problem continues, I'd contact Ooma Customer Support and have them work on the Issue also:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST