This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#85160 by jamgold
Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 am
I am just trying to join a conference call, and my Ooma froze twice 5 minutes into the call. When I say freeze, it means that the conversation stops and sounds like a broken mp3. I do not have to reboot the Ooma, I simply have to hang up and call back in. After 5 minutes on the call the same thing happens again.

The only thing that has changed on my end is a new modem from Comcast, which now gives me 20Mbps down and 4Mbps up consistently. And that modem I have for two weeks now, and just today the Ooma calls froze.

So how can I figure out if something changed?

Ooma Telo with 45073
#85162 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:59 am
jamgold wrote:I am just trying to join a conference call, and my Ooma froze twice 5 minutes into the call. When I say freeze, it means that the conversation stops and sounds like a broken mp3. I do not have to reboot the Ooma, I simply have to hang up and call back in. After 5 minutes on the call the same thing happens again.

The only thing that has changed on my end is a new modem from Comcast, which now gives me 20Mbps down and 4Mbps up consistently. And that modem I have for two weeks now, and just today the Ooma calls froze.

So how can I figure out if something changed?

Ooma Telo with 45073

You don't have the latest Ooma Telo firmware Version: 47785 yet.

How do your have your setup connected now, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

This may be a Quality of Service problem. See if you can access your new Modem and set the Quality of Service setting for VoIP (for your Ooma Telo) to the highest setting.

Quality of Service settings in the Ooma Telo:

Setting Quality of Service:
If your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router. try this:

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If your setup is connected Modem-Router-Ooma, disable QoS by doing the following:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#85271 by jamgold
Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:31 pm
thunderbird wrote:You don't have the latest Ooma Telo firmware Version: 47785 yet.

How do your have your setup connected now, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Yeah, I still have the old firmware. I will not tinker around with my side of the setup anymore. After spending a lot of time tinkering with my setup when calls suddenly started to go bad without me having changed anything on my end, I will just wait for the new firmware to drop.

This freezing has only occurred with one phone number (yet several times) so I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Summary: AT&T was robbing me blind, but at least their service worked as advertised
#86018 by ZohMom
Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 am
My calls freeze up just like that too. Or just drop and I hear nothing

Download Speed: _4392 kbps_______________
Upload Seed: _160 kbps_________
Download Consistency of Service __68%______
Upload Consistency of Service __53%_______
Maximum TCP Delay ___77 ms__________
Jitter you server __0.3 ms________
Jitter server you __0.7 ms_______
Packet loss: you server__0.0%_____
Packet loss: server you __0.0%____
Packet discards __0.0%_______
Packets out of order __0.0%_______
Estimated MOS score ___4.2_____[/quote]

ZohMom

#86021 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:07 am
ZohMom:
Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload.

Your Upload Speed: _160 kbps is low, which may cut off your phone conversation.

You can try rebooting your Modem and Ooma device to try to get a better Internet connection with higher speeds. After you reboot your Modem and Ooma device, run http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest again to see if you Upload speed improves. When I was traveling in China with our Ooma Telo, sometimes I had to reboot the Modem and Ooma device up to twenty times to get a good Internet connection. Once I got a good Internet connection, I had no problems making calls at all.

There is another new firmware version 48460 update coming also, which may help. Ooma "pushes" the new firmware updates on their schedule. The Ooma customer has no control as to when they receive their firmware update.

View topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12277
#86025 by ZohMom
Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 am
I have rebooted everything many times which is a huge inconvenience because I have to lose my internet each time. I don't understand how I have AT&T's fastest internet but have low upload speed? Also, I don't understand much of what people talk about in these forums because I don't know much about computers. What I DO know is that my Ooma service was perfect for a long time until a few months ago. Now I have horrible service but there were no changes to my set up or equipment????
#86026 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am
Hi ZohMom, since you are not in a position to check some of these things out. 1 thing worth doing might be to call AT&T and have them give you a new modem.
#86028 by ZohMom
Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am
I ran speedtest again (without reboot) with the following results:

Download speed 4094 kbps
Upload speed 403 kbps
Download consistency of service 81%
Upload consistency of service 99%

Jitter: you --> server 0.4ms
Jitter: server--> you 1.4ms
Packet loss 0%
#86029 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am
ZohMom wrote:I ran speedtest again (without reboot) with the following results:

Download speed 4094 kbps
Upload speed 403 kbps
Download consistency of service 81%
Upload consistency of service 99%

Jitter: you --> server 0.4ms
Jitter: server--> you 1.4ms
Packet loss 0%

You should test your Ooma phone making calls, now with the higher Interent Upload speed. If everything is okay now, but you have problems later, this means that your Modem or Internet Provider is giving you your problems.

If you just rent your Modem, make your Internet provider give you another Modem.