This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82852 by newsong
Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 am
We have been having a variety of problems with the Ooma - poor voice quality from callers, dropped calls, prolonged period before outgoing calls ring, if it connects at all. Yesterday, my son's xbox connection went south. I started looking into both the phone and xbox problems and discovered that the DNS number coming up (needed for input on xbox) was Ooma's address, 172.27.35.1. The xbox indicated problems with the DNS and it seemed odd that the Ooma address was being used as the DNS server. We are using a Linksys router.

I confess I no little to nothing about these various configurations, though I'm trying to educate myself as time permits. I did find a post on the forum that listed the setting below to try for helping with the phone issues. I recognized the Linksys address and thought it would be worth a try:
Go down to Static IP Address Options:
Behind IP Address: put 192.168.1.105 in the boxes.
In netmask: put 255.255.255.0
In DNS Server 1: put 192.168.1.1
In DNS Server 2: put nothing
In Router Address: put 192.168.1.1

I input the above numbers on the Internet settings page of the Ooma (except I used 192.168.1.107 behind the IP address as that was the address I was aiming to use for the Ooma.) I also set Ooma as a high priority in the router's QoS, thinking that might help with some of the phone issues. Now, however, I cannot access the Ooma set up pages and the phone does not work at all. Blinking blue lights on the Telo and a busy signal on the phone. And the xbox is still not workingl, though I realize that's not part of the realm here.

I am also wondering if there is a way to just plug in the Ooma to one of the four Linksys ports (hence the hope of assigning it a Linksys-based address). I use the access restrictions on our computers using their individual ip address. I would like to be able to leave the Ooma open so we are not shutting off the telephone during the night.

Hoping someone can help me out of this mess and provide some assistance in fixing the original problems.
#82857 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 am
newsong wrote:I am also wondering if there is a way to just plug in the Ooma to one of the four Linksys ports (hence the hope of assigning it a Linksys-based address). I use the access restrictions on our computers using their individual ip address. I would like to be able to leave the Ooma open so we are not shutting off the telephone during the night.

Many people including myself have their Ooma device connected behind or on the LAN side of the Router, and it functions just fine.

Connect Router WAN port to Modem.

Connect Ooma Telo Internet port to one of the Router LAN ports.

If you run out of Router LAN ports most people purchase a Switch. A Switch acts a Router LAN port multiplier.

Don't connect anything to the Ooma Telo Home port, except when you need to access Ooma Setup to make adjustments.

Reboot your Ooma Telo and allow it boot as far as it will go.

Access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer if enabled. Reboot the computer.

Type http:172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. (It may be very slow, Firefox works best).

Click on Internet on the left side of window. At Connection type: select Automatic.

Under INTERNET Port MAC Address: select Use Built In.

Select Update Device.

Reboot (shutoff and restart) the Ooma Telo.

Test. If you have problem post them in this thread.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
#82859 by newsong
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am
Thanks for the quick response, Thunderbird. I went as far as connecting the Ooma Internet port to one of the router LAN ports. As soon as I did this the phone was up and running again. :D

I went to connect a cable from the Ooma home port to the wired LAN port of the computer but found there were no ports available. The only cable port there is the one which connects the computer to the router. Not sure what to try now. I did attempt to access the Ooma set up page but it is still a no-go, both using the ip address and the direct link. So, the good news is the phone is working, though I haven't had any calls yet to check the quality. The bad news is I still cannot access the set up page to change my settings. Any additional advice? Thanks again!
#82860 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:53 am
newsong wrote:Thanks for the quick response, Thunderbird. I went as far as connecting the Ooma Internet port to one of the router LAN ports. As soon as I did this the phone was up and running again. :D

I went to connect a cable from the Ooma home port to the wired LAN port of the computer but found there were no ports available. The only cable port there is the one which connects the computer to the router. Not sure what to try now. I did attempt to access the Ooma set up page but it is still a no-go, both using the ip address and the direct link. So, the good news is the phone is working, though I haven't had any calls yet to check the quality. The bad news is I still cannot access the set up page to change my settings. Any additional advice? Thanks again!

"The only cable port there is the one which connects the computer to the router. Not sure what to try now."
You temporarily disconnect the computer network cable from the Router and connect it to the Ooma device home port. Then restart the computer. Then follow the directions in my previous post.

With the Modem-Router-Ooma setup, most people don't leave the computer connected to the Ooma home port, because of file sharing and printing problems. They connect nothing to the home port, except connecting a computer temporarily to access Ooma Setup.
#82871 by newsong
Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:21 pm
Thanks a bunch, Thunderbird! I did as you directed and all is good. Now I can focus on the initial problem. Can you tell me if this behind-the-router configuration will also help with the other voice quality and functional operation issues we've been experiencing?
#82877 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 pm
newsong wrote:Thanks a bunch, Thunderbird! I did as you directed and all is good. Now I can focus on the initial problem. Can you tell me if this behind-the-router configuration will also help with the other voice quality and functional operation issues we've been experiencing?

You have to post what problems you were having. But maybe first you should test this configuration, because it may have corrected your problems.

One other thing you can do in Ooma Setup is:

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If you continue to have problems post those problems in this thread and I will make suggestions for corrections.
#82916 by newsong
Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 am
Hi Thunderbird,
I am still having voice quality issues. Had to hang up and call back someone three or four times yesterday because her voice kept getting so chopped up I couldn't understand anything she was saying. This happens alot, whether a local or long-distance call. I also sometimes deal with a delay and/or echo in my voice reaching the other part and vice versa. In addition, when calling someone, I sometimes have a long delay before the phone rings on the other end. Other times it never rings at all. Yesterdays calls had the choppy voice and the no ring/delayed ring. I did set the upstream/downstream to 0 before testing. I also set the router's QoS, using 90% of the upstream number and giving the Ooma high priorty. Where to from here?
#82917 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:38 am
newsong wrote:Hi Thunderbird,
I am still having voice quality issues. Had to hang up and call back someone three or four times yesterday because her voice kept getting so chopped up I couldn't understand anything she was saying. This happens alot, whether a local or long-distance call. I also sometimes deal with a delay and/or echo in my voice reaching the other part and vice versa. In addition, when calling someone, I sometimes have a long delay before the phone rings on the other end. Other times it never rings at all. Yesterdays calls had the choppy voice and the no ring/delayed ring. I did set the upstream/downstream to 0 before testing. I also set the router's QoS, using 90% of the upstream number and giving the Ooma high priorty. Where to from here?

Need to see how your Internet connection is doing:

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following in this thread:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________

Use the next steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Using 90% for QoS setting for a Modem-Router-Ooma setup probably isn't going to work.

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 1000 Kbps higher than the Upload and Download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Next: Reserve a Static IP address for the Ooma device's MAC address in your router, then test.
#82918 by newsong
Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:54 am
Download Speed: 8912 kbps
Upload Seed: 948 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 68%
Upload Consistency of Service: 96%
Maximum TCP Delay: 122 ms
Jitter you server: 2.8 ms
Jitter server you: 5.2 ms
Packet loss: you server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
#82921 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 am
newsong wrote:Download Speed: 8912 kbps
Upload Seed: 948 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 68%...........Should be around 80%, but should work anyway.
Upload Consistency of Service: 96%
Maximum TCP Delay: 122 ms...................Should be 100 ms or less, but should work anyway.
Jitter you server: 2.8 ms
Jitter server you: 5.2 ms........................Should be less than 5 ms, but should work anyway.
Packet loss: you server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%

The above test results are really not to bad.

Verify that your Ooma Setup MAC address is set to Use Built In MAC Address.

Use the next steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Using 90% for QoS setting for a Modem-Router-Ooma setup probably isn't going to work.

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 1000 Kbps higher than the Upload and Download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Next: Reserve a Static IP address for the Ooma device's MAC address in your router, then test.

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router's DMZ, then test.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests