This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82465 by organic_donna
Mon May 30, 2011 6:34 am
I just switched from vonage to ooma. I had zero call problems with vonage. I have constant dropped calls while using ooma. When I'm talking on ooma there are about 5 dropped calls during the conversation. The calls sound robotic. I will more than likely be returning my ooma device. I have a phone number transfer set up for June 17th. Any ideas?
#82466 by thunderbird
Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 am
organic_donna wrote:I just switched from vonage to ooma. I had zero call problems with vonage. I have constant dropped calls while using ooma. When I'm talking on ooma there are about 5 dropped calls during the conversation. The calls sound robotic. I will more than likely be returning my ooma device. I have a phone number transfer set up for June 17th. Any ideas?

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Use the next two steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router and test.

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test.

Please report back as to what works or don't work.
The steps above most commonly resolve your problems.
But if your problems aren't resolved, there are some other thing that can be done.
#82477 by organic_donna
Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 pm
I'm not very advanced when it comes to more complicated installations. I have a ATT 2Wire device and it has the integrated modem/router. I have a Macbook wireless computer.
I don't know how to do this: "Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router and test" "Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test..
Donna
#82478 by thunderbird
Mon May 30, 2011 2:24 pm
organic_donna wrote:I'm not very advanced when it comes to more complicated installations. I have a ATT 2Wire device and it has the integrated modem/router. I have a Macbook wireless computer.
I don't know how to do this: "Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router and test" "Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test..
Donna

Donna I've rewritten the instructions to fit your setup, do this part first:
If your connection is Modem/Router-Ooma, temporarily connect an Ethernet (network) cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem/Router, after the Modem/Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

If you still have problems with dropped calls let me know.
#82560 by organic_donna
Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:29 am
Thunderbird,
Your directions were really easy to follow. Only one question, on the very top of the interent page where I changed the settings to built in it still says "automatic", do I change that too?
I can't make a call yet to test it, it's 6:30am here. Last night the call I was on dropped so many times I gave up on the conversation. It could be my internet connection with ATT except it was working great with Vonage.
My number porting is set to complete on 6/3/11. I want to first use the ooma for the 30 day trial and make sure it works. Amazon said I have until 5/27 to return the device. I plan on canceling the porting until I'm sure I will be keeping the ooma. Ooma has a lot of different charges if you make changes.
Donna
#82565 by organic_donna
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 am
Thunderbird,
I just spoke to ATT and they said my internet connection is not running properly. They are going to do some troubleshooting.
I still want to cancel the porting and use the ooma for a few weeks to make sure it works. I'll keep you updated.
Donna
#82572 by organic_donna
Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 am
Update,
It's still dropping calls constantly. I uninstalled the ooma and switched back to Vonage. If Vonage doesn't drop calls I will know it's the ooma box.
Donna
#82576 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:41 am
organic_donna wrote:Update,
It's still dropping calls constantly. I uninstalled the ooma and switched back to Vonage. If Vonage doesn't drop calls I will know it's the ooma box.
Donna

Since you are still having problems:
You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here: (Do this test not during but right after you are having problems hearing).
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

The Automatic setting in Ooma Setup should stay on Automatic.
#82614 by organic_donna
Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 am
I have to proceed with the number transfer. I was told I cannot cancel within 5 days of the transfer date.
I ran the test and it was inconclusive. It said it was not able to test the jitter or the packet loss. I don't know the reason. The download speed was 2.49 and the unload speed was 352.
#82618 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:14 am
organic_donna wrote:I have to proceed with the number transfer. I was told I cannot cancel within 5 days of the transfer date.
I ran the test and it was inconclusive. It said it was not able to test the jitter or the packet loss. I don't know the reason. The download speed was 2.49 and the unload speed was 352.

It's very strange that you were not able to test jitter or packet loss? Maybe you do have an Internet or Modem problem?

One thing to try, go to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp and download and install the latest version of Jave in your computer. Java is needed for this test. Then run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again.

Donna when you ran http://speedtest.phonepower.com/, did you click on the advanced tab at the lower left had corner? That's where you will find the data that will be very useful if you post it here in the following blanks:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests