This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81048 by swibby
Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am
Okay, I took your advice and changed the Internet Port MAC address to "Use Built-In", and, after testing my internet speed, set my upload speed to approx 80% of 4 mbps (3000 kbps) and set my download speed to approx 80% of 21 mbps (16,000 kbps). The phone quality seems much improved; quite good, actually.

Now, my question is, is the Ooma Telo constantly consuming a lot of bandwidth even if I am not on the phone? The yellow LED on the back of the unit is on constantly, with no blinking, suggesting that it is constantly doing something (polling, perhaps?) If this is so, is Comcast going to complain or shut me down for using too much bandwidth, even though I don't actually use the phone very much?

Thanks -- Swibby
#81049 by murphy
Tue May 10, 2011 9:27 am
You can see exactly how much it has used since the last boot on the Status -> Ports page.
My yellow LED is blinking.
Perhaps yours is downloading new firmware.
It's a drop in a barrel.
#81065 by nn5i
Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 am
No; when idle, Ooma's bandwidth use is nonzero but microscopic. Even when talking, it's way less than 10% of Comcast's slowest offering.
#81363 by swibby
Fri May 13, 2011 7:00 pm
Update -- I got a loud squawky noise a few times on my end of the conversation, so I reduced the download speed to 6000 kbps and left the upload speed at 3000 kbps. Now the quality of the calls is excellent, regardless of whether I originate the call or receive it.

The yellow LED on the Internet port of the Ooma remains lit almost constantly, but does flicker off slightly. In other words, it is on 95% of the time, off 5%.

Now the misgivings I had about the Ooma unit have vanished. I am a happy camper. :)
#81366 by nn5i
Fri May 13, 2011 7:46 pm
swibby wrote:The yellow LED on the Internet port of the Ooma remains lit almost constantly, but does flicker off slightly. In other words, it is on 95% of the time, off 5%.

Yes; the light appears to go on for about 300 milliseconds every time the Telo sends or receives a packet. That, by my very crude reckoning, is about 15,000 times as long as the packet actually takes to send or receive. The ratio of on-time to off-time of the light indicates almost exactly nothing at all about how busy the link is; its only real function is to provide a visual clue that something is going on. If the light didn't stay lit long after the packet was finished, there would be no use in having a light, for you'd never be able to see it.