This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#80314 by horsecore
Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm
mrbill16 wrote:Current Telephone Company:
Choice One Communications Inc.
Original Telephone Company:
Choice One Of New Hampshire Inc.
Original Telephone Company Type:
Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)

Delay varies. Sometimes as much as several seconds. Has been noticed since install march 2011.

Hey, look at that, another person, who has significant voice delay, with Choice One Communications as their current carrier....
#80316 by EA PA
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Using 909-390-0003 from east coast, I got 760 mSec delay using the pencil tap method on Audacity. Results are repeatable.

I then tried 925-259-0082, and got about 340 mSec delay.

Current Telephone Company:

#80421 by Davesworld
Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am
Why does anyone think it's the carrier or more properly, the CLEC? They don't choose the call routing quality, Ooma does because Ooma has to pay them so much per minute to terminate YOUR calls and the cheapest route of the day is chosen to keep the termination costs to under 0.5 cents a minute. Decent call routing costs nearly double that. Cheap routes are not above having part of the route being done over satellite link or a world tour just to call across town. A good case in point about how the CLEC has little to do with this is with some of my Ooma numbers I ported out to another VOIP provider who also uses XO Communications. Two from my Telo before I deactivated it and one of my two Hub numbers. My number never changed CLEC's yet the delay is well under 100ms and the voice quality is ISDN quality. The new carrier let me choose the quality of routing even domestically so I chose premium, even on 1800 numbers. The same numbers when with Ooma using the same CLEC yielded several hundred milliseconds delay which in itself creates other problems that show up sometimes.
#80445 by horsecore
Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:31 pm
kdawgud wrote:Horsecore - did you ever have any luck getting Ooma to switch your carrier? My emails to tech support are no longer getting responses.

No - I too have not heard back from Ooma in a while. I followed-up this past Saturday but have not yet received a response.
#80446 by horsecore
Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:32 pm
Davesworld wrote:Why does anyone think it's the carrier or more properly, the CLEC? They don't choose the call routing quality, Ooma does because Ooma has to pay them so much per minute to terminate YOUR calls and the cheapest route of the day is chosen to keep the termination costs to under 0.5 cents a minute. Decent call routing costs nearly double that. Cheap routes are not above having part of the route being done over satellite link or a world tour just to call across town. A good case in point about how the CLEC has little to do with this is with some of my Ooma numbers I ported out to another VOIP provider who also uses XO Communications. Two from my Telo before I deactivated it and one of my two Hub numbers. My number never changed CLEC's yet the delay is well under 100ms and the voice quality is ISDN quality. The new carrier let me choose the quality of routing even domestically so I chose premium, even on 1800 numbers. The same numbers when with Ooma using the same CLEC yielded several hundred milliseconds delay which in itself creates other problems that show up sometimes.

Because that is what Ooma is telling us....
#80447 by jhphone
Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:38 pm
EA PA wrote:Using 909-390-0003 from east coast, I got 760 mSec delay using the pencil tap method on Audacity. Results are repeatable.

I then tried 925-259-0082, and got about 340 mSec delay.

Current Telephone Company:

Hmmmm....

I get essentially the SAME delays as you have posted here for the respective two numbers. The delay I experience with typical local and long distance calls to land-line phones is more like 700+ ms than the 340 ms figure.

But -- occasionally -- a cell phone call has little or no noticeable delay at all. Ditto for non-US calls.

I definitely wish I knew what's going on here with Ooma's connection to the POTs system. Call delay and other quality issues have been horrible ever since last Oct when I started using it.

My Current Telephone Company is XO Communications Inc

Q: What is the significance of "My Telephone Company"? IOW, why don't all Ooma users -- as reported in this thread -- have the same "telephone company"?

Wikipedia says: "XO is a facilities-based backbone provider in the US and operates a nationwide multi-10 Gigabit transit-free network (sometimes marketed as a Tier 1 network) and owns significant fiber optic network assets, including an 18,000 route-mile inter-city network and over 9,000 route-miles within 40 major metropolitan markets. XO currently carries more than 15 billion minutes of Voice over IP (VoIP) traffic across its network each year." Their site: http://www.xo.com/

I don't comprehend what this (my "telephone company") has to do with the delays.

Another question. Why are we USERS having to perform this DIAGNOSIS of the Ooma system? Why can't they do it themselves?

Ooma is lost at sea -- without a compass or rudder.
#80450 by nn5i
Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm
jhphone wrote:Why are we USERS having to perform this DIAGNOSIS of the Ooma system? Why can't they do it themselves?

Well, ya see, with Ooma ya get (unlike POTS) not only a telephone, but also a new hobby at no extra charge. Me, I prefer ham radio, music, photography, model trains, and teaching Judo. I didn't actually need a new hobby. I just wanted a reliable no-frills phone to talk on. I got that, almost -- but only almost.
#80451 by EA PA
Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:46 pm
nn5i wrote:
jhphone wrote:Why are we USERS having to perform this DIAGNOSIS of the Ooma system? Why can't they do it themselves?

Well, ya see, with Ooma ya get (unlike POTS) not only a telephone, but also a new hobby at no extra charge. Me, I prefer ham radio, music, photography, model trains, and teaching Judo. I didn't actually need a new hobby. I just wanted a reliable no-frills phone to talk on. I got that, almost -- but only almost.

Ah - WA2JMZ - CQ!