This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#85839 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am
northway:
The delay problem is an individual problem. If you don't contact Ooma with your delay problem it will never be corrected. You also have to get to higher levels of support for corrections to be made. You also have to be persistent and respectfully keep after Ooma Support to get you delay problem solved.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#86422 by horsecore
Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:47 am
thunderbird wrote:
horsecore wrote:
thunderbird wrote:horsecore:
Did you ever try sending a personal E-mail to Norm Toy describing your problem? That's what I did.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=107

Yeah but I never heard back and I did not want to pester.

If Norm Toy won't respond, try Ooma Moderator Bobby B.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53

In your E-mail tell him about all of the things that you have done to try to correct the Delay problem from your end.
Tell him about your contacts with Ooma Customer Service, etc and the results.

Tell him how long the delay problem has gone on for your, etc.

Bobby apparently doesn't like me either. :|
#86632 by andgrim
Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:52 pm
Here is my fun adventure with the ever continuing delay issue - Not a Fix: 3+ Months Not resolved:

I purchased my Ooma device with hopes of migrating from my local telco, the day I unpacked the unit and connected it I had delays..it was bad (credit given were due, the voice quality was great). Just as a comparison, I have used/tested other VOIP providers in the past and did not have a delay. Ooma offered the best bang for the buck, so I took the leap of faith...and spent some money.

After doing some research on the forums, I found post after post regarding the delay issue and how the carrier was the cause. With this information in hand I opened a ticket and was ready to fix this problem and save some money...(not aware over the next three months I would loose hours upon hours trying to fix this problem).

On my initial call I done all the typical script stuff the tech support had to offer, reboot, reset, move cable here then there, QOS etc. The delay was still present and said they would escalate. After about a week I never received a reply so I called back asking about my ticket, it was not escalated but they had me do a factory reset...which bricked my unit...could this been the issue, bad hardware.... so here I am eagerly awaiting the new unit, this is going to fix it...the next week it was dropped off. I hooked the new unit up...made a test call...delay :(

So now it has been almost 30 days, the delay is still there ...I called back again and pushed for an escalation status for my delay. Once again a week went by no reply, I called back again and they confirmed it was escalated to level 2 and said yes we are aware of carrier delay issues and will have it fixed soon and you should get a reply shortly. Another week goes by no answer...I called my ISP to check the lines to the house/area just in case, burn some time as I wait, all clear from the tester onsite....I sent more emails, still no answer...by this time I have replaced my router (I found a good deal on a Cisco Wireless N) and thought maybe this might help some, nope...and still no reply.

So now I have tested everything on my side I can, I sent another email asking for a status, move me to a new carrier, move me to your CFO's carrier, or give me a refund if you are unable to answer me in the next 7 days.... 24 Hours later an update :)

"Thank you for contacting Ooma Customer Care.

I fully understand that you are frustrated with this issue. To date, there is no work around available yet, as well as an estimated time of resolution. Our Technical Support team will endeavor to resolve this matter for you the most timely and professional manner possible. You'll be receiving feedback from us once the issue is fix. We appreciate your patience while this issue is being resolve."

Finally, they are going to fix my delay...my wife will stop saying I wasted my money.

The next update I received was a response from customer support L3: (Before opening my email, I just knew it would be fixed)...

Unfortunately, what you are asking is not technically possible for a number of reasons.

1. Our DID hosts are located where they are located, we cannot move them. The carrier that hosts your DID is rarely involved in routing your outbound phone calls to begin with.

2. Your OUTBOUND calls have nothing to do with where your DID is physically and/or geographically located. Inbound and outbound SIP calling is not handled the same way PSTN calling is. One carrier is chosen for your outbound call from a pool of 5-10 different possible carriers. For example, if you call 555-1234 every day for a week, you might go through carrier Y on Monday and carrier X on Tuesday (or possibly carrier Y again or maybe carrier Z), ect.

So even if we were to move your number to a DID host that is geographically located next door to your house, your outbound calls would not be going through this carrier (98% of the time) but would follow what was outlined above.

There are basically 3 things you can try:

1. Make sure your Ooma is directly connected to your modem, rather then behind a router.
2. Adjust the QOS setting on your Ooma device (see: http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... 100/kw/qos)
3. Try a different telephone.

The reality of the situation is VOIP is running over a Packet Switched Network (the Internet) versus a Circuit Switched Network (PSTN), some delay is inherent and may vary depending on a number of different factors, most of which we only have a small amount of control over.

So I replied

"Thank you for the detailed response and verifying the carrier is not the cause of the issue (shooo, over the past few months the finger appeared to stay pointed at them, I feel a bit relieved.) I believe we now have some room to work with as this narrows down the issue we have at hand.

So what we still have is delay and latency on all VOIP calls using the Ooma service, so now lets take a look at all the possible causes:

Propagation Delay (Time for electrons to travel on the physical path, example Fiber reaching 13,000 miles with induce 70ms of delay)
Unlikely as all testing to the Ooma Device termination point at Ooma has been under 140ms, which is in the
(ITU-T) G.114 recommendation max of 150ms. I would have to assume that inside the Ooma network that the propagation delay would be a minimum unless they are routing traffic back and forth across the US three of four times.

Queuing Delay (Delay from packet switching congestion)
This could be causing delay between my device and your termination gateways, but I would expect this to be variable through the day as congestion would be low at given times but still possible. The latency reported is constant and easily reproduced which why I don't believe this to be the root of the problem which VOIP test/diagnostic test also indicate a non issue, unless the L2/L3 & termination devices within Ooma's network that I can not test through are highly congested and have bad QOS policies which are causing the delay (I highly doubt that though). I wont rule this out yet, just not enough evidence to to call it the guilty party.

Jitter (A Variation of packet interarrival time)
This could be a culprit of the delay (excluding the hand-off to your carrier). If Ooma is using static Jitter buffers set at a high rating or using a very high ratio for jitter compensation to offset the wild Internet then it could be possible that the Jitter buffers are causing the delay.

As you see by you clarifying it is not a carrier issue we have now been able to narrow the root of the issue down. "

So 24 hours went by no answer....I decided to escalate:

Email To Explaining my situation:

Jamie Buckley
Vice President
Customer Service & Support

I wanted to follow-up with you again, as it has now been over 24 hours since my last request for a status update and over three months since I reported the same issue. The time to resolution and level of support concerns me, as the device you offer is marketed as a replacement to your land-line service but the support that is provided is far less superior than any Telco / VOIP provider I have ever used. I would expect some level of escalation or feed back within at least the first two weeks, much less three months. If I had removed my land line when I bought this device I would of not only been out the $250 but paying my telco provider a reconnect fee just to have phone service. I hope you understand my concern and my expectations from your support organization as there is little the consumer can do to try to correct the problem due to the limited user interface in the device which requires them to solely depend on the support team.

He promptly responded;

Please accept my apologies. This is not indicative of the level of service we provide to our valued customers. I am copying Roy Calvo who is our Director of Customer Care.

Roy Called...left VM to my Ooma Device, then followed up with an email.

I called back about an hour later, no answer left a VM and also followed up with an email.

I did not hear anything back for 24 hours, so replied all to Roy and Jamie. No answer.

A week later Roy wrote back, he was out of town and basically said most likely there is nothing they can do to help with my setup. He asked me to call him back. I did, I left a VM and sent an email. No answer yet...a week has passed and still no answer....I am now just asking for a refund.

So now three months have passed, I have lost many hours of my time, and still I have an Ooma device that has large delay...sorta...as of yesterday the Ooma device also got tired of the delay, waiting for a fix, and finally died, exhausted and on life support, it only has the strength now to show its lonely 1 & 2 to the world.

As like my device it gave and now so have I. The reality is the delay is here to stay :(
#86633 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:17 pm
andgrim:
You have certainly jumped through the Ooma hoops. I had delay when I first started with Ooma, but I was eventually able to get it under control, with the aid of Ooma, and by purchasing a new DECT 6 Plus phone system. In late winter and early spring We was in Chana with our Ooma Telo and a small phone. We were able to make calls to local numbers in China, from a home in China. The round trip call, through Ooma servers in California, was probably 14,000 miles, without any noticable delay, and very clear conversations. Strange.

Since your Ooma Telo died, and you have only had your Ooma Telo for three months, it should still be in its warranty period. Of coarse you will have to call Ooma Customer Support. But they should send you another serviceable Ooma Telo, shipping prepaid. They will send you a prepaid shipping label for returning your defective unit.

Maybe a replacement unit will help with the delay also?
#86634 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:19 pm
andgrim wrote:I am having the same issue from NC when making or placing any VOIP calls through the Ooma Telo device, a 400+ (500-750 ms delay sometimes) ms delay on the Audio RTP streams.

andgrim, 400+ delay is what I measure on my end as well but I never perceived this to be a problem. My daughter uses Ooma more often than anyone in my family and she actually prefers Ooma over her cell for them 1hr/2hr conversations. I guess she doesn't want to cook her ear(s)/face for one thing.

lbmofo wrote:Nov 2010 Hub 470ms

Apr 2011 Hub 837ms, Telo 1003ms

Today (Jun 2011) Hub 400-450ms, Telo 500-520ms

lbmofo wrote:This is pretty interesting.

Calling the 909-390-0003 number, I got below from a while back:

Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

I just got another (May 2011) reading and I am getting ~850 ms. Using another VoIP service, I am getting ~960 ms range. Yet, I am not experiencing any difficulties in conversations. Could this 909-390-0003 number be a bad test?

I guess my question is if you perceive 400ms+ to be problem, how are you with using cell phones?
#86646 by andgrim
Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:31 am
First off thanks for the post and replies. I am happy to hear that you have had great success with your Ooma devices. (I have some friends that love their device and previous posts from users having their delay issue fixed gave me hope ). I believe the Ooma device is a neat piece of hardware loaded with tons of end user features that makes it very attractive. My original post was to outline my experience with the Ooma support process or lack of in case anyone else had the same issue. I believe the delay issue can be fixed, it is just getting someone to fix it is the problem. I m not asking for perfection on the delay just a level that makes the device usable.

In regards to the 400+ ms guesstimation from my earlier posts, I am not going to try to defend that number but rather try to explain what the delay experience is like for me.

Since day one the delay has been present. If you have ever used a shortwave radio or had to make a call over a satellite phone the delay is similar. As you try to have a conversation on my Ooma there are lots of awkward pauses for the two parties (caller & calling) with many times each party colliding into each other during the conversation prompting for a lot of I am sorry, go ahead.

If my carrier, land line or cellular had a delay like I am experiencing with Ooma I would not find it acceptable either and would contact their support organization to resolve the problem too. I would also expect their support team to provide a timely resolution to the issue jut as I did from Ooma.

With thousands of views and hundreds of posts related to delay issues in the forums it appears this is not an isolated issue but an issue Ooma should take a deep look at it instead of ignoring it and hoping it goes away.

I wish other users that have the same issue a timely resolution to their tickets, so they might not have to spend countless hours trying to fix a problem they have little control over.
#86651 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:55 am
andgrim:
What you described is called Half-Duplex Conversation. This is where you wait to talk until the other party stops taking, or is some times called one way conversation.

Full-duplex Conversation is where both parties can talk at the same time, and hear each other clearly.

Ooma supports Full-Duplex Conversation. Half-Duplex Converasation isn't delay, but sounds like delay.

Quote: "Half Duplex or Full Duplex?? Half duplex or full duplex really effect in video & voice conversations. During voice conversation, people experience voice breakages. This problem permits due to half duplex. A full duplex modem or sound card leads to a better voice conversation. For making perfect voice conversation, the modem must be full duplex. If your modem is not full duplex or connection speed is not enough to send/receive voice messages or voice signals. Modem is said to be full duplex, when both of the modems can transmit data to each other simultaneously, the modems are operating in full duplex mode; if only one modem can transmit at a time, the modems are operating in half duplex mode." http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/vid ... tion/36212

Many times one of the devices in your home's LAN setup will pull the whole system down to Half-Duplex. I have an old networked printer that will do this to my LAN system. Because of it I almost never used the old printer. To correct the problem, I have to make sure the printer is off, and then reboot everything else connected to our home's LAN.

The way to test for this is to connect only your Modem-Ooma-and a Phone, and of coarse reboot everything, and then test. It doesn't rule out the modem as the problem, but it does rule out everything else. If the conversations are normal, then you know that some thing in your home's LAN is causing the Half-Duplex Conversation.

If you still have Half-Duplex Conversations, take only your Ooma device to a friend or relative's home and test it there, using their LAN setup, and preferable a completely different phone. If your Ooma device works just fine at the friend or relative's home, then probably your Modem is defective.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#88121 by bmanchester
Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:26 am
Current Telephone Company:
Choice Telephone Company

Original Telephone Company:
Verizon New York

Original Telephone Company Type:
Regional Bell Operating Company

ping stats:

sent: 4 received: 4
round trip: Minimum: 80ms Maximum 81ms Average: 80ms

I have also done several VOIP speed tests at speedtest.phonepower.com and have discovered that my upload consistently at 99% but my download consistency is anywhere between 17% and 80% with no two successive tests being identical. I guess that's why my cable company only advertises "up to 10Mbps" but doesn't guarantee a consistent speed, although I consistently get upwards of 15-20 Mbps!!
#88128 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 pm
bmanchester wrote:Current Telephone Company:
Choice Telephone Company

Original Telephone Company:
Verizon New York

Original Telephone Company Type:
Regional Bell Operating Company

ping stats:

sent: 4 received: 4
round trip: Minimum: 80ms Maximum 81ms Average: 80ms

I have also done several VOIP speed tests at speedtest.phonepower.com and have discovered that my upload consistently at 99% but my download consistency is anywhere between 17% and 80% with no two successive tests being identical. I guess that's why my cable company only advertises "up to 10Mbps" but doesn't guarantee a consistent speed, although I consistently get upwards of 15-20 Mbps!!

Start here for Inconsistent Download Speeds:
Find you Modem documentation, or look online for your Modem documentation and find out how to do a reset on your Modem. Usually there is a reset button somewhere on the Modem. Sometimes the Modem will have a battery which has to be temporarily removed when the reset is accomplished. Reinstall the battery and test with http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest .

Next:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed, set to 90% of the measured Upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/ . Click on Update. Then test with http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest and making and receiving calls for Quality of Service improvement.