This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83054 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 am
Info only:
This morning my wife was talking to a friend using her computer and QQ.

QQ is like Skype, except there are six hundred million QQ customers. QQ's audio is much clearer, and the video is smooth and appears to be more normal. The overall service is much more reliable.

My wife's friend was just setting up QQ on their computer. They reversed the Mike and the Speaker plugs in the computer.

Talk about delay, boy was there ever a huge audio delay, heard on our end.

We could speak a full sentence, count 1, 2, 3, and than the words that we just spoke would come back through my wife's computer speakers loud and clear.

After the reversed Mike and Speaker plugs were corrected, there was no audio delay, only normal conversation and picture.
#83252 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:48 am
Here is an interesting piece of freeware that looks at delay at:

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

You go to the bottom of the page, download and install the freeware on your computer.

Then you can see at if there is delay at your home setup, your Internet provider and and to verious locations. I don't know of a final IP address that will follow the route of an Ooma phone call.

I went to:

myxprov.ooma.com
stun.ooma.com
ntp.ooma.com
vpn.ooma.com
67.105.209.96 (One of XO Commuications IP addresses)

I noticed that I have 35 hops to XO Commuications, and some go out of the Green area, into the Yellow area sometimes.

My round trip average to vpn.ooma.com is 138 ms.

Caution: If you decide to post your PingPlotter results, make sure the first one or two hop IP addresses are blacked out. These addresses may be inside of your homes LAN.
#83253 by vicw
Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 am
Tbird. The Pingplotter info is interesting, and thanks for sharing it, but I don't understand the relevance of it with respect to the the Ooma call delays, since we can't replicate the routing that an actual call might take, and what would be gained by posting that data. That's not to say it wouldn't be useful, I just don't see the correlation.
#83256 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am
vicw wrote:Tbird. The Pingplotter info is interesting, and thanks for sharing it, but I don't understand the relevance of it with respect to the the Ooma call delays, since we can't replicate the routing that an actual call might take, and what would be gained by posting that data. That's not to say it wouldn't be useful, I just don't see the correlation.

Vicw: For most people this program won't have any relevance and won't apply. But for just a few, the program may show a problem or delay in their home or with their Internet provider.
#83549 by vicw
Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:48 am
Tom B wrote:For now this only means the delay on the echo call has improved. We're working with the vendor to reduce
latency on other calls before switching the echo number back to this vendor.

Since the Ooma vendor test changes reported by Dennis P and your posting on 6/3, I've been periodically sampling echo test results on the 909 echo number, and the typical echo timing for my installation has shown improvement from the previous 800+ ms results, to the 400-500 ms range. Still not below the suggested 400 ms optimal upper limit, but better.

Could either of you give us an update on your activities on this issue? It would really be helpful to know if you have made any conclusions from your efforts, whether you have implemented any permanent changes, and if those changes affect only the 909 number, or are system-wide.
#83578 by horsecore
Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:17 pm
vicw wrote:Could either of you give us an update on your activities on this issue? It would really be helpful to know if you have made any conclusions from your efforts, whether you have implemented any permanent changes, and if those changes affect only the 909 number, or are system-wide.

I second this request - any new information would be greatly appreciated.
#83930 by pops
Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:33 am
Just adding my voice to the mix. We're in our first month of use and are experiencing a significant delay. Our provider is XO Communications in Seattle WA, and delay on 909 test number is approximately 600ms (though it appears much worse in actual conversations than it does in the echo test).

I've adjusted my QoS settings and opened a ticket, but if it doesn't get resolved I'll return the unit to CostCo.
#83933 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:44 pm
pops wrote:Just adding my voice to the mix. We're in our first month of use and are experiencing a significant delay. Our provider is XO Communications in Seattle WA, and delay on 909 test number is approximately 600ms (though it appears much worse in actual conversations than it does in the echo test).

I've adjusted my QoS settings and opened a ticket, but if it doesn't get resolved I'll return the unit to CostCo.

We are from the same hood and here is what I reported early last month.

lbmofo wrote:Nov 2010 Hub 470ms

Apr 2011 Hub 837ms, Telo 1003ms

Today Hub 400-450ms, Telo 500-520ms

I have the same XO carrier. I am having no issues with my service; if any delays, can't be worse than the cell phones.