This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#79314 by kirkterry
Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 am
I have had Ooma for about 6 weeks. My internet provider is Charter and I usually have about 16 megs download and .35-1meg upload. Ooma is installed between the modem and router as recommended. I have run the speed tests, jitter and so on. I always get a thumbs up though sometimes I can have very low downloads speeds but I figure it is a load on the system from outside my house? This morning I was watching netflicks thru wireless and tried to make a call. I got delays, dropouts and I knew the conversation would be bad. I shut down netflicks and then redialed and the call was perfect. One of my questions is: I thought Ooma's System prioritized since it was upstream of the router. I know that redialing, shutting down a wireless connection and then having a good phone connection could be coincidence. I am running Ooma thru my house' phone wiring and have disconnected from outside service. Also I am using a wirless phone system. Should I always expect problems once in awhile with Voip? I am a newbie at this so be kind---
#79319 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 am
kirkterry:
Probably all you have to do is choose Use Built-IN MAC address and reset the Quality of service settings in your Ooma Setup pages.

First:
Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser window. The Ooma Setup page opens.
Click on Internet Setup at the left side of page. Go down to INTERNET port MAC Address: and click on the Use Built-IN button. Click on Update Device.

Next click on Advanced on the left had side of page. Under Quality of Service: set Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to approximately 80% if you measured Upload speed and Download speed as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update.

Note: 80 percent may be just a starting point, depending on you homes LAN equipment and configurations, but it works for most people. You may have to change your Upstream/downstream Internet speeds slightly up or down to find that "sweet spot" that allows clear phone calls and the other equipment in your home's LAN to operate properly together.