This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78410 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 pm
Information Only:

Ooma Telo functions very well in China!

Yesterday we made some calls from China using our Ooma Telo and an old Slimline corded phone that I brought along on this trip.

I brought the Ooma Telo, an old phone, a Cisco switch, and a laptop computer.

The IP addresses are issued dynamically, for the DSL connection that I am using, and the DSL Internet connection is just adequate. The connection type is PPPoE using a name and password.

The Ooma Telo failed to connect to the Internet, using the DSL modem connected to the Ooma Telo’s Internet port, and using PPPoE and password settings in the Ooma setup pages. So I changed the Ooma Setup pages Internet Setting Connection Type back to Automatic. Than with the Ooma Telo’s Internet port connected to the DSL modem, the laptop computer connected to the Ooma Telo’s home port, and with the Ooma Telo booted as far as it will go without an Internet connection, I logged in into the Internet using the Laptop computer’s DSL Internet logon. The computer logged into the Internet right away, and shortly the Ooma Telo, Ooma symbol flashed read, than blue.

The Ooma Telo was up and running!

I found that after the Ooma Telo was fully functional and connected to the Internet, I could shut off the laptop computer, and the Ooma Telo remained connected to the Internet.

When I first tested the Internet connection here in China, using http://speedtest.phonepower.com/, I was getting up to 65 percent packet loss and download speeds of 28 percent. TCP delay was up to 800 ms. Download jitter was crazy high, but upload jitter was zero. Since the Internet connection issues dynamic IP addresses, I rebooted and reconnected the Modem several times, until the Speedtest reading became usable for Ooma use. I suspect that one of Internet provider's WAN routers have bad sockets, etc.

I left my Downstream and Upstream Quality of Service settings at 10,000 kbps, and 5,000 kbps on the Ooma Setup pages, Advanced page.

My wife and I made several calls back to the USA with only some slight buzzing sound, happening only if I or the other party wasn’t talking. The voice quality and volume were great. There is no echo or delay at all.

Below is a post of my Speedtest readings:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2121344 bps
Upload speed: 377240 bps
Download quality of service: 80 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 87 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 206 ms
Average round trip time to server: 206 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2320000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0936463
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 2545048bps
#78413 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 pm
Great to hear thunderbird.

My friend who came onboard with Ooma from iTalkBB bought an Ooma for his mom in Taiwan and it is working flawlessly.

viewtopic.php?t=9230#p64461

A few times, his mom reported voice dropouts and such; upon further debugging/testing while he was at his mom's, he found that the cordless phone was having issues communicating to the phone base through a very thick concrete wall. :P Ooma wasn't having issues; working like a champ.
#78490 by Davesworld
Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:57 pm
Be very careful to check laws when you decide to use VOIP outside the US, in many countries it's illegal to offer it, in some it is illegal to use it and others it is blocked or all three. I know this will insult many people but some Americans don't realize that their rights disappear only miles off shore and should NEVER make demands of another legal system because they are American. In much of Latin America it is illegal to use it and some you can be jailed. In much of the Middle East it is illegal on varying levels. In China the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) issued a notice calling on the general public to report on any "illegal" voice over internet protocol telephony services (VoIP) as recently as December 10th 2010. More study is required to determine if just using it is a problem. Offering it is a different situation as Ooma is offering it in the US with US phone numbers. This requires careful study on a country by country basis.

Ooma uses VPN only for sip controls rather than port 5060 or 5061 for tls encrypted sip controls so you may at least get registration, but if the RTP is interfered with you can't talk. The RTP ports are in the same range above port 10000 as 99% of all providers. It is the RTP traffic that carries the voice while on a call. You might or might not get away with using Ooma in countries where it is illegal. It depends on how deep packets are inspected. It would not surprise me if VPN ports are blocked in many places.

In a nutshell, know the laws of where you plan to use Ooma or any other method of internel telephony including Instant Messenging services.
#78497 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:15 pm
http://digicha.com/?p=1087#comment-120977018

Unless thunderbird is caught making some money off of his Ooma device, he should be fine. :) They just want to regulate VoIP and protect the Telcos there. If the government is serious about not allowing all VoIP, then the great firewall of China would be blocking Ooma traffic.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP#Legal_issues
#78638 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:52 am
It's been reported that about 200,000,000 people use VoIP products in china.

It's kind of like in the past, when the situation was in the USA, with Ma Bell trying to control use of extra phones and phones that they didn't own and charge for, etc.

Ooma is considered to be a Router, with the minor phone part added.

There are about one and one half billion people in China. But it is reported that there are two billion Internet connections.

Yesterday was Chinese Memorial day. Everyone in this area goes to their ancestor’s grave sites and pay homage. Then there are firecrackers and parades and celebrations, topped off with large family get togethers with huge amounts of food and drink.
#78656 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:41 pm
thunderbird wrote:Yesterday was Chinese Memorial day. Everyone in this area goes to their ancestor’s grave sites and pay homage. Then there are firecrackers and parades and celebrations, topped off with large family get togethers with huge amounts of food and drink.

Hope you had a good tomb sweep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingming_Festival