This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77873 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:36 am
Carol:
If you are refering to a router with Wi-Fi, you have to access your routers setup pages using a computer connected to the router's LAN side. Reference your router manual.
Than you setup a medium level of Wi-Fi security, including a password that can be used later to connect you Wi-Fi computers, etc. Reference your router manual.
Once you have finished setting up your router, you will probably loose your Wi-Fi connections, to the Wi-Fi equipment, connected to you router. So you have to go from computer(s), devices, and use the password that you used to setup a medium level of Wi-Fi security in your router, to reconnect to the router's Wi-Fi.

If you don't think you can do this task, ask someone to help, that has done it before.

There are other things that may cause "Choppy Outbound" Ooma voice signals.

Try running http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ a few times, than click on the left lower tab and post the result here. Someone will take a looks and if there are problems, give suggestions.
#77931 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 am
Carol wrote:I ran the speed test and discovered that "quality of service" is: 13 %, 52 % and 42 %. So now what do I do ?

Low Quality of service readings are a big problem and can cause "Choppy" sounding voice messages. Normally they run about 80% or higher.

Were there any lost packets shown in the Speedtest results?

How is your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?
#78269 by Carol
Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 am
I have an AT&T high end combination wireless router/modem..."2wire". It worked well for several months, now I have this problem and have had to go back to using my cell phone for outbound calls. The connection is : from the wall to the AT&T combination unit then to the ooma. I want to buy another ooma for my office at work but now I have lost confidence.
#78270 by Carol
Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:14 am
I ran the test again this morning and have 31 % connectivity. There is no packet loss and everything else reports to be in good shape.
#78276 by EA PA
Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 am
Carol wrote:I ran the speed test and discovered that "quality of service" is: 13 %, 52 % and 42 %. So now what do I do ?

Carol. The other night, I noticed that my internet connection UL just went very slow all of the sudden. I ran the speedtest and almost everything was red. I looked at the graphs and it suddenly showed that my UL just went to 0 for about 1/2 of the test. I had results like yours with QoS. I have Modem/OOMA/Router/Switch. I powered all of them down. I then powered Modem until connected, OOMA until blue, router until done booting and then switch. After that, it all came back to my previous tests results - QoS in the 80s. I dont know what happened and Im using a battery backed supply so it it was not power. You might try this, take your time and let it all power up one at a time.

Also, you can try preceding your calls with *98 - then pause, then your number. This may be a good temp solution until you get your service back. It has worked well for me - good luck
#78282 by scoutconnor
Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:55 am
I too developed the same issue just yesterday only unlike the other posters, all of my speed/ping/jitter times come back fine.
I have a Hub and a Telo and I am only having the issue with the Hub.
My network config is as follows:
Modem>Hub>Router>Telo

I've tried to reboot both the Hub and the modem to no avail.
#78300 by Carol
Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 pm
Carol wrote:I have an AT&T high end combination wireless router/modem..."2wire". It worked well for several months, now I have this problem and have had to go back to using my cell phone for outbound calls. The connection is : from the wall to the AT&T combination unit then to the ooma. I want to buy another ooma for my office at work but now I have lost confidence.

Ran the test again tonight and have 41% quality of service. I have rebooted both my 2wire router/modem and my ooma. same thing.

Now here's a thought; I have AT&T as my ISP but this is not U-verse, just their high speed internet. They offer four levels of "high speed" service and I have the cheapest or slowest level. Could this be causing my trouble? When I run the test my upload speed is 437 kbps and my download speed is 796 kbps. are these numbers good enough ?
#78301 by EA PA
Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Carol wrote:
Carol wrote:I have an AT&T high end combination wireless router/modem..."2wire". It worked well for several months, now I have this problem and have had to go back to using my cell phone for outbound calls. The connection is : from the wall to the AT&T combination unit then to the ooma. I want to buy another ooma for my office at work but now I have lost confidence.

Ran the test again tonight and have 41% quality of service. I have rebooted both my 2wire router/modem and my ooma. same thing.

Now here's a thought; I have AT&T as my ISP but this is not U-verse, just their high speed internet. They offer four levels of "high speed" service and I have the cheapest or slowest level. Could this be causing my trouble? When I run the test my upload speed is 437 kbps and my download speed is 796 kbps. are these numbers good enough ?

437 kbps UL is plenty. I recently saw OOMA work on 200 kbps. Mine is low also at 493 kbps. Even though my numbers look pretty good overall. I have always had a poor connection on OB calls, worse to cell phones. I have been using *98 since and its a reasonable workaround so far. Why don't you run the speed test again. On the results screen, you can select text, copy and paste in here. Lets see the data.