This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76816 by Tufflaw
Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:22 am
Having a problem ever since ooma was first hooked up - I have three cordless phones in the house, one main base and two auxilliary ones that aren't connected to the wall, just get the signal from the main base. The main one is connected to the Ooma and works perfectly. Ever since I started using ooma though the auxilliary ones get very bad static - I don't believe it's the phones because they worked fine when I was using cable. Any suggestions? Thanks!
#76819 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 am
Tufflaw:
I hate to say it but probably your phones are conflicting.

Wikipedia Says:
"Some cordless phones advertised as 5.8 GHz actually transmit from base to phone on 5.8 GHz and transmit from phone to base on 2.4 GHz or 900 MHz, to conserve battery life inside the phone."

Vabout.com Says: http://voip.about.com/od/voipbasics/a/f ... uality.htm
"Phone frequencies
The frequency of your IP phone may cause interference with other VoIP equipment. There are many cases where people using 5.8 GHz phones have been getting voice quality problems. When all troubleshooting tricks failed, changing the phone to one with a lower frequency (e.g. 2.4 GHz) solved the problem."

Epinions says: http://www.epinions.com/content_1277730948
"What's with the new DECT?
As I've alluded to above, the new DECT phones are often confused with being 6Ghz phones due to the "DECT 6.0' label on the boxes. The DECT phones operate in the unregulated 1.9Ghz frequency, where devices have to negotiate amongst themselves for air time. Right now, the main advantages of the 1.9Ghz range is it does not overlap with computer WiFi signals (2.4Ghz) and is far enough away from microwave signals that your 20 year old leaky microwave won't shut it down. DECT phones will have a better 'real world' range because of this, and won't jam up your home Wireless B/G/N router. The security measures on DECT are solid, but as I've said before, if you've got the equipment to crack any digital signal, you're probably NASA.

In short, DECT is the no-brainer choice for most people. The phones are feature-rich and the play well with others. "