This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76804 by mww
Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm
We just bought this Ooma Teleo 2 days ago from Costco and are testing it out.

The first problem we've had was tonight when my wife had a conference call. This was a call in which she was given a phone number to call and an access code, NOT using the Ooma 3 way call feature.

The sound quality of others she heard was VERY broken up and really useless. She tried calling back several times and ended up making the call from her cell phone, which worked fine, so the problem seemed to be clearly with Ooma.

Are there some incompatibility issues using Ooma with conference call services?
#76831 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 am
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ a few times and then go to left bottom side and click on tab. Copy and post results here. This will give an Idea of how your Internet connection is functioning in relation to VoIP.

Shut off MAC Address Spoofing (Prevents conflict between Modems/Routers and Ooma):
a. Access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma Telo’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or Router, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the Ooma device or router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or router, which ever device is next in line.
#76843 by mww
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:07 pm
Hi -

I followed your suggestions. Below is the output from the line test. Seems OK? I did the MAC reset / reboots so we'll have to see if that helps - we don't do these conference calls every day!

Mark

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 4.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8754344 bps
Upload speed: 252336 bps
Download quality of service: 56 %
Upload quality of service: 51 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 329 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 51 ms
Average round trip time to server: 57 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 69600000bps
Route concurrency: 7.950339
Download TCP forced idle: 87 %
Maximum route speed: 10280000bps
#76845 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 pm
mww:

Your test results look good, except download and upload quality of service is a little low.

How do you have your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem Router-Ooma?

[quote="lbmofo" How is your regular calls? I call into conference calls all the time without issues.[quote]

What's the answer to lbmofo's question above.

I may be getting ahead of myself but one thing that usaually greatly helps a good DECT 6 phone system.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#76848 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm
lbmofo wrote:8+Mbps down and only 200 some K up looks weird.

You're right, 252 KBps upload is low.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbs download and 265 kbs upload. So you probably will have QoS problems with such a low upload speed.

mww: Check with your Internet provider to see what the upload Internet speed should be. Make sure you are getting what your are paying for.

Maybe the modem is malfunctioning?