This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76779 by Brooklyner
Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:07 pm
I've been a pretty happy Ooma Hub customer for a few years now EXCEPT for very specific numbers that I can't get a decent connection with. One of these happens to be my relatives in Vermont who I like to speak with a few times monthly. 99% of the time I call them either I can barely hear them or they can barely hear me or there's a terrible delay. I almost don't want to call them anymore since it's gotten so bad! They're on a regular land line in a rural part of the state. When they call me the connection is usually great. Most of my other calls are good quality whether it's domestic or international. I travel with my Hub from New York to Montana but it seems to be the same story no matter where I am. Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? Many thanks!
#76781 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:18 pm
You mentioned you have Hub, try dialing prefix *99 before making calls to that one troubled number. The other side may hear echo.

If you have a Telo, you can try dialing prefix *98. No echo should be heard on the other side.
#76785 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm
*99= g711 codec Ooma uses for fax mode.
G711 is a slightly wider or higher capacity band that often allows a call to go through when a regular call won't. You may experience echo during the call.
#76976 by Brooklyner
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:09 am
Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend. Does the Telo produce better results than the Hub in situations like this? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'd love to hear from anyone who knows.
#77212 by Brooklyner
Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:53 pm
Good news, I tried the *99 trick and the call was MUCH better! There was no discernible echo either. Of course this is just one call and we'll see if it continues to work but for now I'm happy. Is there a way to set Ooma to always use the *99 when I dial VT, or do I always have to manually do it? Thanks. :D
#77250 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 am
Ooma is working on a fix for this type of problem. But you still should contact Ooma Support and report your problem, with day, time, phone number, etc. so that you are included in the "fix".

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#77261 by Brooklyner
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am
OK I called them and the person I spoke to said he'd "updated my system" and I just needed to unplug my Hub for two minutes to reset it. Honestly he just sounded like he was reading from a standard script the entire conversation so I'm not sure anything will change, but we'll see.