This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75915 by eycamry
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 pm
My mom tried to reach me a few times, and was not able to get through. She heard "The number you called is not in service. This is a recording", then busy tone. She tried at least 5 times tonight and could not get through. Then she used her cell phone and tried again, still the same thing. There was no missed call in the call log neither. The weird thing is that when I used my cell phone to call myself, everything was working fine. I had no problem calling out. And I received phone calls from nearby cities, all went though with no problem. She is in 916 area code (Northern CA), and I am 949(Southern CA). What could be the problem?
#75918 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm
If it was only her home phone having issues, I was gonna say have her call her phone company and tell them that she can't reach a working number but her cell phone gives her the same trouble? Maybe try her cell phone company first, they are more responsive in these types of trouble shooting.

Was she able to reach you before?
#75919 by eycamry
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:38 pm
There is nothing wrong with her phone providers. She can call other people, including my cell phone and my old ATT home number with no problem at all. It was only after I switched to Ooma, she started having trouble reaching me. So I think it is an Ooma problem, not hers.
#75920 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Her phone company is the one having problems connecting her to your working number.
Btw, were you able to make international calls (from your previous post)?
#75922 by eycamry
Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 pm
Yes. The international call went through. Thank you.

Why would her phone companies (both home and cell) block her from calling me? Is it a VOIP thing? I don't understand this. If this is indeed the case, how would I know if other people will have the same issue reaching me? My husband is looking for a job. I don't want recruiters not being able to reach us because of this.
#75923 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 pm
Not really certain what's going on but most of the time when someone can not reach you, it is because their phone company isn't routing the call properly to you. Therefore, I found it kind of odd that both your mom's cell and home phone companies are having issues reaching your number. For example, sometimes these companies have out of date internal routing database causing routing error rendering reaching certain numbers problematic.
#75924 by eycamry
Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm
Thanks. I'll ask her to call her phone provider. She and I share the same cell phone provider. I have no problem calling my Ooma number, but she can't get through. It is really weird. It makes me wonder how many calls we've missed because of this. Is this a common thing for all VIOPs?
#75925 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:45 pm
It might have to do with where your number came from. Even with same cell company, because of acquisitions over the years, things aren't done all that uniformly. Check out your number here at http://tnid.org
#76464 by eycamry
Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 am
It turns out that no matter which phone my mom uses (her home, cell, work, her friends' phones), any calls from from her area code can not get through to me. So it is definitely a problem on my end, not hers. Ooma tech support is working on tracing the calls. I find this extremely bizarre. Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Anyone has some suggestions? Thanks.
#76467 by ntoy
Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am
Hello,

While in trial premier, you can log into your My Ooma account & enable MultiRing to a cell for example. Also, you can try adding a 2nd number & have people try calling that number.