This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76408 by EA PA
Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 pm
As predicted: BRINGGGGG

EPIC fail - *99 - number, fax dials, connects, click - then dial tone.. arrghh
#76409 by EA PA
Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 pm
danlisman wrote:One of my favorite quotes:
I will spare no expense "to save money" :D

Love it
#76424 by EA PA
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 pm
danlisman wrote:You can view 4 different graphs.
Did you only look at jitter graph?
"upload speed" and "download speed" are the ones to see gaps.

ran several times and saw no appreciable gaps in UL or DL speed...

thanks for the clue - I did not see the pull down in the graph screen
#76691 by EA PA
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 am
EA PA wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
EA PA wrote:Not connected to outside wiring. I disconnected it myself. I have been using the OOMA on the common house wiring for weeks with very few issues. Up until the last few days, the only real issues I had were connect delay to cell phones. In the last few days all sorts of odd things are popping up... phones that dont answer, dial tone after ringing, dead air etc. The dead air seems to be repeatable to certain local numbers.

Maybe try testing using a wired phone connected directly to your Ooma device or connect only DECT 6.0 phone system directly to your Ooma and see if your issues go away.

LOL - got off the phone with my bride this AM - told her we were going out for new phone set. I suspect that some of the issue may be due to junk but I do find it odd that all this bad stuff just started to happen though. If new phones misbehave, Ill test into OOMA directly. thanks

lbmofo - I have a single 5.8Ghz wireless only connected to house dist system and still have issues. I will try directly into OOMA as last resort even though I do not suspect wiring due to previous error free operation with landline and also with the OOMA for a short period of time. You recommend trying a DECT 6.0 in quote above. Out of curiosity, why do you suspect that the DECT 6.0 may behave differently that the 5.8 Ghz? I do not suspect any RF interference with 5.8 Ghz and other RF sources in house. Have you seen any threads where this was an issue?
#76695 by murphy
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 am
Check the specs on your cordless phone.

I have an AT&T 5840 5.8 GHz cordless phone that uses 5.8 GHz from the base to the handset and 2.4 GHz from the handset to the base. The only place 2.4 GHz is mentioned is in the back of the manual in the specifications.
:(
#76697 by EA PA
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 am
OMG really? thats horrible - Ill have to check - GAK...!!! maybe thats the issue...thanks for the clue Murphy
#76698 by EA PA
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 am
Actually, come to think of it - I think I can set my WiFi router to operate at 5 Ghz - this may be an alternative as well..
#76702 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:27 am
Information Only:
I was using a G. E. Model 25942EE4-C 5.8 GHz cordless phone set when I started using Ooma as our home's phone provider. I was having delay and echo problems so I purchased and installed a Panasonic KX-TG6544B DECT 6.0 PLUS set of cordless phones. The Panasonic DECT 6 Plus cordless phones mostly cured our delay and echo problems. (I did other things/adjustment that helped also).
Saturday I saw the old G. E. 5.8 GHz box, so I took the base and one phone and connected it to our homes phone wiring in the basement, in addition to the existing DECT 6 Plus phones. Sunday morning when my wife was making phone calls to China, she complained about having a echo, heard only on her end of the call. I went downstairs and disconnected the phone line to the Cordless G. E. 5.8 GHz Base. Echo was still present. Than I removed power from the G. E. cordless 5.8 GHz base and the echo went away.

Wikipedia Says:
"Some cordless phones advertised as 5.8 GHz actually transmit from base to phone on 5.8 GHz and transmit from phone to base on 2.4 GHz or 900 MHz, to conserve battery life inside the phone."

Vabout.com Says: http://voip.about.com/od/voipbasics/a/f ... uality.htm
"Phone frequencies
The frequency of your IP phone may cause interference with other VoIP equipment. There are many cases where people using 5.8 GHz phones have been getting voice quality problems. When all troubleshooting tricks failed, changing the phone to one with a lower frequency (e.g. 2.4 GHz) solved the problem."

Epinions says: http://www.epinions.com/content_1277730948
"What's with the new DECT?
As I've alluded to above, the new DECT phones are often confused with being 6Ghz phones due to the "DECT 6.0' label on the boxes. The DECT phones operate in the unregulated 1.9Ghz frequency, where devices have to negotiate amongst themselves for air time. Right now, the main advantages of the 1.9Ghz range is it does not overlap with computer WiFi signals (2.4Ghz) and is far enough away from microwave signals that your 20 year old leaky microwave won't shut it down. DECT phones will have a better 'real world' range because of this, and won't jam up your home Wireless B/G/N router. The security measures on DECT are solid, but as I've said before, if you've got the equipment to crack any digital signal, you're probably NASA.

In short, DECT is the no-brainer choice for most people. The phones are feature-rich and the play well with others. "

P.S. I never liked the G. E. cordless phone set anyway. The Panasonic DECT 6 Plus cordless phones are so much better in about every way.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#76705 by EA PA
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 am
thunderbird - thanks for the info. I would not have even suspected that this would be the case. I inspected both phones before the post - both clearly stamped 5.8 Ghz - I did not check for spec label, or manual however. Unbelievable! Ill get a set of DECT 6.0's tonight and try them.

This is the last straw for us. Ill connect one directly to Telo tonight. If this doesn’t help out the reliability, we are going to keep one of the 2 landlines for her small business on a cheapest local program that I can get and use the OOMA for personal and long distance only. Ill still make out over time because Frontier is really gouging us because I would not sign a contract. She is at wits end with my seemingly daily instructions to *99, *98, 7 digit, 10 digit, *99 pause pause fax, etc protocols for getting a clean signal. And of course the call logs for goofys stuff so I can bother Bobby and Norm

We are getting the goofiest stuff happening ever this AM. One call told me I can’t call out because I haven’t paid my bill (contrary to my credit card acct charges) - and the telltale blue light "you did not pay bill" blinking not present. Then the next call wont connect (wife calling me) but rings once on my side - with nobody there - I hang up - she calls my cell and 30 seconds later my work landline phone rings again - pick up - nobody there.. None of this is repeatable of course - I am hoping its RF ghosts and goblins - we will see tomorrow.

Anyway - thanks again - and in your case I guess GE does NOT bring good things to life - only to intermittent! :?