This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75840 by EA PA
Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 am
I am starting this thread to help document issues that OOMA users are seeing both prior to and after the most recent deployment of software 43368. I will start separate threads for ECHOING and CELL PHONE I / THEY CAN’T HEAR ISSUES to start.

It would be helpful to provide this thread with focused, repeatable issues associated ONLY with CELL PHONE I / THEY CAN’T HEAR ISSUES.

I am doing this in part to provide OOMA engineering with as much meaningful / repeatable information as possible in a single thread to assist them in understanding the nature and breadth of the issues. In my mind, the more data provided in one consolidated place, in particular repeatable issues that are accurately described, the better chance we users have of getting focused attention on solutions.

I recommend providing detailed symptoms, the standard speed test results, whether or not the call was OOMA to OOMA, OOMA to hard line, OOMA to cell, OB vs. IB and maybe even the approximate distance – cross country / mid country / east to west / local etc, % of the time that issue occurs, carrier used any anything else that is pertinent.

Test links:

http://speedtest.net
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
http://tnid.us/

First shot anyone? Ill provide my input after some testing.

Thanks
#75897 by EA PA
Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm
OK I guess Ill be the first. Ran tests tonight. I tested
OOMA handset OB to local cell,
IB from local cell to OOMA,
OOMA to local landline OB,
Local landline IB to OOMA and
finally I tried tests that failed with corded phone plugged into OOMA vs handset.

The results were all satisfactory, except 1.

100% of the time, (without using *99) - OOMA calling local cell OB - when answered, the cell phone user could hear the OOMA user, however the OOMA user could not hear the cell for 5-10 seconds. Then "click" it connects and the call continues normally. Using *99 prevented this 100% of the time. So it looks like this issue continues.

I am Modem - Telo - Router. My QOS is 480K - measure upload is about 493K. Choice One is my CLEC

Below are some tests:

These look good to me anyway:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5936936 bps
Upload speed: 477088 bps
Download quality of service: 81 %
Upload quality of service: 90 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 20 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 96 ms
Average round trip time to server: 96 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 7200000bps
Route concurrency: 1.2127467
Download TCP forced idle: 25 %
Maximum route speed: --

Edit - ran again and increase UL speed back to 493K - don't know why first a bit low

Anyone see anything to be concerned with?

Anyone out there with similar issues?
#75904 by danlisman
Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 pm
OOMA handset OB to local cell

*99 may be a temporary solution, but my experience says: temporary solutions become permanent solutions.

43368 did not cause this problem, but it wasn't the solution either. Surely I am not the only one embarrassed by this.
#75914 by LarryS
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 pm
One-way Speech Path Issue:

Telo Rev: 1.43368
Telo MAC setting: built-in (not Automatic)

My findings mirror OP, 100% of the time, (without using *99) - OOMA calling local cell OB - when answered, the cell phone user could hear the OOMA user, however the OOMA user could not hear the cell for 5-10 seconds. Then "click" it connects and the call continues normally. Using *99 prevented this 100% of the time.

I am ATT U-Verse router - Telo configured in DMZ with all ports open. XO Communications Inc. is my CLEC. Test calls were made to ATT Cell phone in same (972) area code as Ooma line.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8618832 bps
Upload speed: 1486936 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 15 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 64 ms
Average round trip time to server: 65 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.3923
Download TCP forced idle: 33 %
Maximum route speed: --
#75933 by EA PA
Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:03 am
danlisman - agree - that is the purpose of this thread - if enough people get in here and post the same issue, maybe, just maybe the issue will get some visibility and then priority - thanks