This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75767 by tomcat
Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:12 pm
I'm new to VoIP services and have had my Telo for about 6 days. Call quality is great except for the delay. (The delay is close to that of a cell phone.) I have tried many of the suggestions from thunderbird as well as other users on the forum and have even hooked the Telo up directly to my modem with nothing else attached (PCs, routers) without any luck. It doesn't get worse, but it doesn't get better.

Since I am new to VoIP my questions are: is some delay normal (and expected) when using VoIP or should it be just as responsive as a land line phone. When delays are being discussed are you referring to any delay or just unusually high delays.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your help.
#75769 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 pm
I think delays are the norm with VoIP. Some service with less delays than others. I have no issues with my Ooma because delays are more significant with my cell. In general, folks getting delay values less than cell should have no issues with their Ooma service (unless they've never used cell service before).

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=110#p69203
#75771 by murphy
Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm
There will always be some delay, even on a landline circuit.
An electrical impulse travels at a speed of about 1.5 nanoseconds per foot in a wire.

Take a 3000 mile path.
That's 15,840,000 feet.
that's 23,760,000 nanoseconds or 23,760 microseconds or 23.76 milliseconds.
The round trip time is twice that or 47.52 milliseconds.

It can't be done any faster than that.
Fortunately the human ear can't detect that short of a delay.

When sending data over the internet the packets can take lots of different paths.
The packets can arrive out of order and must be reassembled in the correct order.
All of that adds time to the transfer.
Routers along the way can get saturated and add more delay.
They also have to go through multiple servers which adds even more delay.
Ooma's servers are on the west coast.
I would expect those on the west coast to have less of a problem that those on the east coast.
Cross country routes can bounce all over the country when the internet gets congested.

It's a wonder that it works at all.
#75773 by tomcat
Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm
murphy wrote:It's a wonder that it works at all.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the reply and the info.
#75820 by DTMF
Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 am
If your Internet service is wireless, the delay is likely to be longer than it would be with a wired service. Some people find the longer delay makes using VoIP with wireless Internet unacceptable.
#75821 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 am
DTMF wrote:If your Internet service is wireless, the delay is likely to be longer than it would be with a wired service. Some people find the longer delay makes using VoIP with wireless Internet unacceptable.

With that said though, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the results of one friend who I help setup with a Telo. Excellent quality even with Clear wireless ISP.
#75823 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 am
DTMF wrote:If your Internet service is wireless, the delay is likely to be longer than it would be with a wired service. Some people find the longer delay makes using VoIP with wireless Internet unacceptable.

This is still true for most Wireless 3G Internet connections, But...

I have also helped someone with 4G and found that when using an Ooma device with Wireless 4G Internet service, that there wasn't any problems, and maybe the Ooma Wireless 4G connection was even better than a lot of wired Internet connections.
#75854 by tomcat
Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 pm
DTMF wrote:If your Internet service is wireless, the delay is likely to be longer ...

I have cable - 10M/1M. The delay is somewhat noticeable, similar to a cell, but not really bad. I wanted to get a better understanding of what I should expect since this is my first trip into the VoIP arena so that I'm not wasting my time trying to achieve something that cannot be achieved.

Something else that I have noticed is that the delay seems to get just a touch better after 10-20 secs of the conversation. I have also noticed in testing my speeds that I get to the max download speed fairly quickly, but my upload speed slowly ramps to the maximum over, say, 5-10 secs. This would explain why the delay seems slightly worse at the beginning of a call.