This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74050 by EA PA
Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 am
Im back! Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this one. Ive seen some similar comments but Ill start new thread.

I am happy with OOMA performance so far after the initial tweeking. However I have noticed a repeatable issue that I need help with. Calling landlines works great. I have had no issues. The issue I have is with calling cell phones.

Repeatedly, when I call a cell, the OOMA user can hear the cell user, however the cell user cannot hear the OOMA user for 5 to 10 seconds or so - then it seems to connect and the call continues normally.

I had seen this earlier and mis-diagnosed. It only happens when calling a cell, and the cell user usually hangs up as a dead call vs holding on for the delay.
Last edited by EA PA on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#74109 by EA PA
Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:52 pm
I'm now seeing limited (seemingly random) cases of delay on land line with same symptom - OOMA user cannot hear but called can hear fine. Ran diagnostic

Jitter = 0.8 ms
Packet loss = 0
MOS = 4.0
Download = 5 mbps, QOS 97%
Upload = 500 kbps, 99%

Im in 570 area - What the hell? OOMA coders - HELP - wife getting angry - still hanging onto Frontier...send firmware solution....I want to clip landline
#74110 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm
The problem that you described is also happening to many of us. For me it’s calling a local hospital. This is probably an “Out There Ooma” problem.

Probably the best solution for us is to contact Ooma support and report this problem.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#74111 by EA PA
Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:03 pm
I guess - there is so much chatter re this issue - its hard to believe that OOMA management not tuned in - I guess Ill call :(

OOMA MANAGEMENT - STATUS ????????????????
#74165 by ntoy
Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 am
EA PA wrote:I guess - there is so much chatter re this issue - its hard to believe that OOMA management not tuned in - I guess Ill call :(

OOMA MANAGEMENT - STATUS ????????????????

Hello,

I believe this is related to the delay issue engineering is working on. Any luck with (*99+cellnumber)?
#74184 by EA PA
Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm
Dont know about *99 - what is it?

I spoke with OOMA tech support - they recommended a change to the preferences to 10 number in System. This seemed to work so far. Ill try again tomorrow a few times to see if this really solves the problem and will post results. For now seems OK :cool:
#74193 by EA PA
Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:21 pm
lbmofo - Ah thanx. Learn something every day... ;)
#74240 by EA PA
Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:31 am
I tested calls to my cell this AM from OOMA. I am satisfied that the 10 number located in Preferences/System did the trick.

So what eliminates the delay problem is:

1. Using the 10 number option, or
2. For local calls, using 7 digit and then immediately hitting # (saw this in the preferences/system section instructions but thought it had to do with the delay to ring) - "10-digit dialing lets you make long-distance calls without dialing the initial 1, just like on your cell phone. This can introduce a short delay if you dial 7 digits for local calls. Press # after you dial to put the call through immediately" . What I saw was after cell user answers, there is a 5 second period where they cannot hear OOMA user. But, the # fixed issue - quirky but effective.
3. Dial tone, *99, then number works also

Once again thanks for your help - and by the way - I have NOT had the problem frequently reported that OOMA tech support is either not available or available with long delay. I have always connected almost immediately and got the problems solved that I was complaining about.

Another issue off the list, one step closer to FTR freedom :D