This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73740 by onoccasion
Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 pm
Additional info... Since I have the trial of Ooma Premier, I added a second number. I chose a 919-238-xxxx number (a local call from where my grandmother lives in NC). If I use my second number to make the call to 518-725-xxxx by dialing **1 before I dial the call, it works fine - I hear the full answering machine greeting! Does this indicate it's a call routing issue? If so, any way to fix that without losing the Ooma number that is a local call for people where I live?
#73745 by murphy
Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 am
onoccasion wrote:Hmmm. Can somebody explain "carrier routing" so I can understand why some calls work fine for me (e.g., calling my work number and getting my own voicemail I can hear my message from the very beginning) and this particular one doesn't, but yet calls to that same number by lbmofo work fine?

Only calls between two Ooma boxes stay on Ooma's network. All other calls have to be routed to a traditional carrier (Verizon, Quest, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) to be completed. If the carrier's routing tables to and from Ooma are not correct the call can't be completed.
#73813 by kbar
Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm
I am having the same problem only when I am calling out. This has been going on for weeks. The person on the other end can hear me, but I can not hear them. Example: Just today, I called my eye doctor 3 x in a row. I never heard the ring, only silence. The 4th time i used my cell phone to call and was later told that she (the receptionist) could hear me the whole time. I don't seem to have any problems receiving calls. I have already adjusted the QOS after doing the ping and speed test. FRUSTRATING NOT being able to make calls ! I am in the 717 area code but I don't think the area code is the issue.
Last edited by kbar on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#73837 by bobosquish
Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 am
We are having the exact same problem. I called my boss at work and could not leave a message - silence after the rings went to voicemail. I gave up and called via my cell phone and no problem. When someone does answer the phone, there are several seconds of silence before the connection is made. This is an Ooma service problem. Moderators, please stop giving the flowchart set DMZ, reboot, etc answers. This is a recently popped up problem (I am in 703 area code if that makes any difference) that is at the Ooma end or a firmware "fix" or something. Do something about it!
#73884 by RLS
Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 pm
A level two tech just told me that this is a system wide issue and the they are working on it. That it is not a user issue and that nothing can be done at our end to fix this. He said they "knew about it before today, but that before it was only occasionally" delaying the outbound call's inbound Hello etc.. Now it is happening much more often so they are paying attention to it and are activly working on it today and until it is fixed. Let us hope that they can fix it soon. I too have been putting up with all the various issue over the last few months, only because it works okay about 80% of the time. Now it has a problem with every outbound call. I am in the 503 area code, where are all of you calling from? The techs need to know what areas are working and what areas are effected. If you call techincal support they will want to know what numbers you are calling. They will ask for three numbers you recently called. I am using the Ooma number 1-866-522-6662 to test for the delay. When I call that number and experience the delay all I hear is "for the next available operator." When the phone doesn't experience delay, I hear "Hold for the next available operator." If you call this number you can tell how much of the call you are missing. This delay for my case is just enough so that when someone answers and says "hello" I don't hear them. Then I am left wondering if someone answered, so I say "hello, is someone there", and sometimes they are there and sometimes I have to repeat myself several times before they respond. What a hassle! Before I put up this post I check the Ooma main support heading that should post current problems with the system so that those of us on the forum are made aware that they are in the know about our issue. As this time they did not disclose the system wide issue this forum is talking about. :cry:
#73901 by kbar
Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:07 pm
Thank you RLS !!! Misery loves company :P Your post was very helpful (and detailed). I am in Lancaster, PA (717 area code). I received an email today from OOMA customer support requesting the date/time/phone # etc..... as you stated they would in your post. Tonight, all of the calls I made had a VERY LONG delay "before" the ring. When calling the 800# you provided I also hear one ring and than "for the next available attendant". I tried this a few times and achieved the same results. I tried my eye docs # just now and it did the same thing as before, "silence". Hopefully they can figure out the problem in a timely manner.