This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73475 by marcaronson408
Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:58 pm
New to OOMA -- my number just finished porting over from AT&T. I am now noticing a slight hiss / white noise in the background. It's more noticeable when no one is talking, but it is detectable even when talking to the other party. I did not notice this problem prior to the number being ported -- not sure if it is related. I hear the same level of problem weather using the HUB's phone line or the scout's phone line.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

Marc
#73477 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:55 pm
Is it like snap, crackle, and pop known as "comfort" noise in VoIP? I have it on mine. My folks' Qwest landline has it too (although might be because they are using the same brand of DECT 6.0 phone as me).

I think you can check out what it sounds like with the phone directly plugged into your Ooma (without any house wiring involved) and see what that sounds like, plug in a wired phone if you have one and do some comparison...so on and so forth.

Maybe the brand of phone you are using is sensitive to the HPNA signal ouputted by Ooma's "wall" port. I've seen reports of some older phones having issues dealing with HPNA signal mixed in the phone line etc.
#73479 by marcaronson408
Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:21 pm
All good ideas. I've tried a bunch of different experiments. The most interesting: I disconnected all phone lines from my 2-line Uniden base station and then turned on line 1 on one of the handsets and I was able to hear the hiss / white noise in the background, so at least some of it is caused by my 5.8ghz Uniden phone system.

lbmofo wrote:Maybe the brand of phone you are using is sensitive to the HPNA signal ouputted by Ooma's "wall" port. I've seen reports of some older phones having issues dealing with HPNA signal mixed in the phone line etc.

As an experiment I tried using splitters and ran the HPNA / wall port signal from the HUB onto "line 2" (yellow/black) of my house wiring. Here is the surprising part: The scout is able to successfully connect to the HPNA network regardless of weather I connect the scout's "wall port" to line 1 or line 2 of the house wiring. On the other hand, the phone port has to be plugged into "line 1" for me to get dial tone on another jack.

I also seem to recall that when we had 2 land-line connections, when talking on line 1, you could sometimes very faintly hear the conversation occurring on line 2, and visa-versa.

I'm wondering if all of this indicates a problem somewhere in my house wiring...

Marc
#73481 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 pm
I've heard that the older red/green, yellow/black wires are more susceptible to crosstalk and electromagnetic interference.

Even so, I doubt that crosstalk alone is enabling your Scout to come online when plugged into the wrong pair. Must have some physical wire crossing happening somewhere? At the NIB, are the wire leads cut so no wires are touching each other? If wires are still on screw terminals, are there some wire crossing going on there?

I'd go get a set of DECT 6.0 phones if I were you. Much better peformance.
#73482 by marcaronson408
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:54 pm
I'll double-check the wires a the NIB, but I have more info and things are looking better.

1. Found one of my old 2-line corded phones. Plugged it in and no background hiss.

2. I've re-wried things a bit so that they make more sense. I now have the HPNA + scout "phone port" running on red/green (line 1); the hub's "phone port" is running on yellow/black (line 2).

3. The Uniden phone now has 1 wire going into it's L1/L2 port, providing access to both "lines". Before I had 2 separate wires connecting it, one going into the L1/L2 port and the other going into the "L2" port.

4. I disconnected a lot of unused telephone wires I had connected to various jacks in my office.

I now hear only a slight hiss when the volume is cranked up to max on the cordless handsets -- significant improvement and less of a problem.

Unfortunately, the HPNA network still provides connectivity on both pairs -- something is allowing the HPNA to flow across both pairs but is not causing problems with voice conversations. Very strange -- I will continue investigating.

I don't want to replace the Uniden phone system unless I have to. Over the years I've collected 9 handsets for it, including 2 that are blue-tooth enabled and 1 that is waterproof. The BT enabled handsets are the best part of the deal -- I pair each of them with a BT headset and it is very convenient.

Marc