This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75555 by marcaronson408
Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:48 am
thunderbird wrote:Make sure that you select under "MODEM Port MAC Address" - "Use Built-In" MAC address in you Ooma device's "Ooma Setup" page. Ooma default is "Automatic" which allows MAC address spoofing. Many modems and routers will conflict (or are not compatible) with the Ooma MAC address spoofing, causing heavy band width usage and poor QoS.

You are correct -- I am using "Automatic". I changed my hardware configuration to cable_model->Netgear_Router->OOMA_Hub. I then checked the OOMA HUB status page and my router's "attached devices" page, and both reported the OOMA hub's MAC address even though it was on automatic. Having said that, I went ahead and changed it from "Automatic" to "Use Built-in", upgraded the Netgear WNDR3700 router firmware to the latest and ran a test. When I run speedtest.net while listening to voicemail I can hear dropout and other distortions. Of course, running speedtest.net is a worst-case scenario, so I decided to leave my system configured this way for a few days to see how it works under more normal / realistic conditions.

Question for epertu: You mentioned that you are having success with the Netgear WNDR3300 QOS feature. I would be interested in knowing if you have any problems when running speedtest.net while on a call. I did my test listening to voicemail so that I didn't bother other people. I could clearly hear dropouts from the voicemail system's prompts.

Thanks
#75578 by epetru
Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 am
marcaronson,

I am currently using a WNDR3400 because it has a Guest Mode feature that the WNDR3300 doesn't have. At any rate, I tried your test using speedtest.net.

I played a vm message back before running the speedtest, and then I played the same message back during the running of the speedtest.

In both cases the sound quality was the same... good. No difference.

The word on the street is that Netgear is coming out with new high-end routers very soon. The review I read summarized the two this way. Both were announced at CES 2011:

WNDR4000 N750 router is best for high performance wireless environment and delivering high speeds applications for gaming and video streaming. But for complete home wireless network experience including the printer share support, the WNDR3800 N600 premium edition is the ideal router for you.

http://www.fireballtech.com/tag/wndr3800-release-date/
#75581 by epetru
Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:39 am
marcaronson,

just to review... I got the WNDR3300 because I was having wireless problems with my DLINK DIR-655 router and the WNDA3100 wireless adapters (V1). I was also having Ooma problems, but figured it was the Ooma service.

The WNDR3300 solved both problems, to my surprise. And recertified it was only $30. I was wandering around Frys one day and they had a boatload of WNDR3400's for $60. So I bought it because it has more flexibility than the 3300. No difference with the Ooma; quality the same with both.

My internet response time seems a little faster with the 3400, but it's barely perceptible. I think if you use either one for an extended period you really won't notice it. Since I got the 3400, though, I have added 2 additional Netflix boxes (versus 1 before) and 3 additional NAS boxes, for 6 NAS boxes total.

I couldn't be more pleased with the3400.

I was really shocked and disappointed with the 3700. It was very, very slow. In everything. Wired connections were slow, wireless were next to impossible to connect to the internet, the user interface was like cold molasses, and that's on top of the fact that Netgear's router interface is generally slow on all its routers.

I configured the 3700 exactly like the 3400. I also reset the 3700 back to factory defaults and tried it that way. In both cases it was choppy with the Ooma, unusable.

I think you have cracked the code, though, because I didn't try putting the Ooma after the modem. I did that when I had the DLINK 655 and it did not work well for me. That's why I started putting it behind the router.

I'd say, keep Ooma between Router and Modem. If you like the 3700 otherwise, then that's great. I may have had a defective unit; or the new fw may have fixed things.

I should mention that my 3300 is a Version 1 unit, recertified, with fw 1.0.45.
#75599 by jlarkin0
Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:52 pm
I started with OOMA in November and have tried a large number of things to make the sound quality of the calls reasonable (replace my cable modem, replace my wireless phones, moved OOMA from before and after the router, put a ferite core on the phone lead from OOMA - nothing helped). From the very beginning the wife factor was going against me and my hope of saving some cash was not looking very promising. I read a lot of posts. I moved my OOMA both before and after my router. I had the cable company come out and they ended up replacing the line between my house and the junction box. It seemed like I could never duplicate my problem completely and if I called WideOpenWest (cable company) it was never their problem, because the internet and the TV were working. Anyway my experience with OOMA was not good.

Turns out I have a WNDR3700 router. When I got the Netgear WNDR3700 I thought I was geting one of the best routers out there. It had a lot of features I liked - dual band, guest setup, and I could install DD-WRT. After reading epetru's post, I was still in disbelieve that my router may be my problem. I decided to made the switch to DD-WRT and see if it's QoS routine was better than Netgear's. It did at least have additional feactures that Netgear's firmware did not have. However, after trying it for about 2 weeks my poor phone call quality still remained. It seemed like every once and awhile there were better times with some of the changes. At this point I had done just about everything there was to do except replace the router.

Going on epetru's comments I went with a Netgear router with a different chip manufacturer than the WNDR3700. The routers the epetru had used all had Broadcom chips in them, were as the WNDR3700 has an Atheros chip. Now I am not sure this is the issue, it could just be the WNDR3700. Anyway I have found that a WNR3500 works great. It was easy to setup and the phone quality is almost perfect.

For those that have a WNDR3700 I do not believe it is a firmware issue, I would get rid of the unit and find something without the Atheros chip.
#75601 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:06 pm
jlarkin0:
I have a lot of respect for someone that has the persistence to continue looking and trying things until they solve the problem. I’m glad you posted your solution so that others can benefit. Two people have reported that the Netgear WNDR3700 was causing the Ooma QoS problems. I wonder what about the Netgear WNDR3700 router that Ooma doesn’t like?
Good Luck
#75603 by epetru
Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:33 pm
Well, for me the 3700 did not work... not just the Ooma; wired and wireless speeds were atrocious.... I could not stream Netflix or Vudu without constant rebuffering... worse router I have ever had. I didtched mine after about 6 hours of use.
#75605 by epetru
Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:42 pm
jlarkin0 wrote:Going on epetru's comments I went with a Netgear router with a different chip manufacturer than the WNDR3700. The routers the epetru had used all had Broadcom chips in them, were as the WNDR3700 has an Atheros chip. Now I am not sure this is the issue, it could just be the WNDR3700. Anyway I have found that a WNR3500 works great. It was easy to setup and the phone quality is almost perfect.

For those that have a WNDR3700 I do not believe it is a firmware issue, I would get rid of the unit and find something without the Atheros chip.

Congrats on solving your problem... the WNR3500 gets rave reviews too. Don't you just love an easy fix?
#75619 by marcaronson408
Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 am
It looks like several people have had bad experiences with the WNDR3700. I was an early beta testing of both the WNDR3300 and WNDR3700 and I found the WNDR3700 to be the better performing router. The only issue I am having at this time is the QOS settings do not fully solve my voice quality issues. It is worth noting that some of the earlier firmware versions introduced significant performance problems, but the latest (Firmware Version V1.0.7.98NA; GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64) is working quite well for me. It is worth upgrading the firmware if you already own this router.

I've sent an email to the folks I work with at Netgear to see if they are interested in pursuing the QOS problem.

epetru, what is your typical upload & download throughput on speedtest.net?

Marc