This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#70906 by Kaplah
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:53 pm
I've had bad call quality since joining ooma. So much so that i've had a new telo sent out. The new unit works a bit better but I still have call quality issues. About a minute in I get a fuzzing static every so often for a second. Durring which time you can't hear the other person on the line and they can't hear you. I'm a tmobile subscriber and have noticed this on my uma calling phones. Recently i've noticed my hd cable pixelates when the line fuzzes out.

I'm guessing I have a signal issue from my cable provider. What numbers should I be looking for on the line coming in my house? Also I have an arris cable modem with integrated voip. Can this cause trouble for the telo? If so is there a suggested modem?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
#70913 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:51 am
Who is your Internet cable provider? How do you have your Ooma device connected in relation to your modem and router? Please provide Arris cable modem model number, and router manufacture and model numbers.
#70962 by Kaplah
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 pm
My internet / Cable TV Provider is Wide Open West. I have my Ooma in the "optimum" position according to the documentation:

Router ====> Ooma Telo ====> Cable Modem

Unfortunately I don't have access to the modem to get the rest of the information today. Working late tonight and I'm not having anyone at home futz with the setup.

The router is a Buffalo model running Tomato VPN 1.27 (I can't remember the model number!).
#70981 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm
I'm adding an alternate configuration, modem-router-Ooma, that may help you. Since I don't have your router model number I don't know if it provides QoS VoIP priority. But if it does placing the Ooma device after the router should help. It's worth a try.

General Outline for Setting up Ooma Behind (on Local Area Network side of) Router.

The steps below are just suggestions. Your may choose to use some or all of the Outline steps below, depending on your equipment and network requirements.

1. Optional suggestion: Install Cat 6 shielded patch cables from modem to router and from router to Ooma device.
2. Ooma device:
a. Enable Ooma device’s built-in MAC address.
b. Assign static IP address (IP number obtained from your router) in the Ooma device.
c. Disable QoS in Ooma device by setting upload/download settings to zero.
d. To be used for Ooma device behind router only: If after you have configured and tested your setup per this document and you still are experiencing dropped calls etc., change your QoS upload/download settings in your Ooma device to at least 2000 kbps above your Internet provider upload/download speeds, as measured with speedtest.net.
3. Verify that your router’s firmware is up to date.
4. Verify that your router provides support for QoS (Quality of Service) VoIP priority. (Some router manufactures use similar but different names for QoS), reference check router manual.
5. Enable router QoS settings as required, reference check router manual.
6. Place your Ooma device into your router’s DMZ using the static IP address you assigned to your Ooma device, reference check router manual.
7. Create in router, router rule(s) to open Ooma ports, (Setup location sometimes found in router gaming menu) reference check router manual.
a. Ooma uses the following application ports for data and voice traffic,
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
8. With Ooma device connected behind (LAN side of) router, don’t use Ooma home port. Use your router ports for other devices on your LAN system.
9. Do a cold boot of router.
10. Do a cold boot of Ooma device after router cold boot has been completed.
11. Optional suggestion: For new installation, test Ooma device VoIP phone system for a few days connected to only one wired phone.
Good Luck.
#71572 by Kaplah
Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:11 am
My apologies for taking so long since my last post. I had quite a lot to do to get things resolved and then I wanted to run the system for a week and see if the family accepted it. I'm pleased to report my system is running quite well. Almost as well as a standard phone line. Let me go through what I had to do to get Ooma set up to run acceptably on my cable modem internet.

Symptoms:
Phone) As listed before I was getting a fuzzing noise that would last a second. Both ends of the conversation would be lost during this time and then the call would come back.

Internet) My Jitter time (which I had never heard of before calling Ooma support so I've never tested it) was absurdly high. (9-15ms). My cable provider insisted they could do nothing.

TV) Certain channels would come in with digital artifacts on my cable company provided DVR. Other tv's in the house could not get certain channels. My ATI DCT kept dropping channels and insisting that it wasn't free to record in WMC.

The ooma not working was the straw that broke the horses back. I called the cable company out to take a look at everything. It turns out that it took two trips out but here's what was done:

Repairs:

Jitter) I had forgotten when I had moved into this house I had put a surge protector with COAX surge protection on the cable modem line. This is what was causing the high jitter. Once this was removed my jitter times dropped to 0.2ms.

TV) A few years ago my provider installed a signal amp because the signal from the street was too low to feed my house. Turns out that a year or so ago they had enough people on my street subscribe that they had to come out and rebalance the local system making the signal from the street stronger. My equipment was being blown away be an absurdly high signal after the amp. The modem wasn't affected because the signal from the street was broken out by a 2 way splitter. One fed the modem, one fed the amp and the TV's of the house.

At this point my cable tv was fixed. My system hasn't worked so well in years. But the Ooma still was fuzzing out. I tried a few more calculations for QOS that I've found here but none of them worked. Finally I tried turning off the Ooma QOS and moving it behind my router as per thunderbird's post and the DAMN THING WORKED! My call quality is acceptable for a land line and my family has stopped complaining.

I have made a few more adjustments to the system:

1) Since I'm running a Tomato router I set up QOS to give the Ooma highest priority. It wasn't hard to set up once I had the Ooma MAC and needed ports handy. I must say that this is a MUST with the ooma.

2) I'm going to get a Ferite Choke Core from radio shack and stick it on the analog phone line that feeds the house. I'm getting the old familiar waving buzz on the line from AC interference (I did phone system installs to put myself through college. I've heard the noise enough to know it in my sleep). I would recommend anyone who has a strange buzz on the line to try this. It's a cheap part and easily installed.

3) I swapped out my cable company's Arris modem for a Dlink DCM-202 that I had around the house. This really didn't affect performance of the ooma, but it did seem to improve the stability of my Tomato router. I used to have to reset it weekly and now (knock on wood) it's been up for a week and a half without issue. The cable service tech told me it's because the arris with the built in line will sometimes drop internet connectivity due to the phone system. I also wanted to get the modem off my bill since they were raising it's monthly cost to cover some new expense. :x

So the Ooma is finally working. I do feel the ooma support could have been more help getting some of these issues resolved. Simply telling someone to call their internet service provider is akin to passing the buck. This forum was far more helpful than the support line. So much so that Ooma should consider either having the service techs read the forums instead of their manuals or just make the Forum button on the main page four times larger!

Lessons learned:

1) Before you call Ooma support make sure your internet service works. There are a lot of great VOIP test tools on the web. Run the test and look for anything not in the green. The tools usually make good suggestions as to how you can resolve your issue.

2) Take your network equipment out of the equation. Hook your pc up directly to your modem (DSL or Cable) and run the test. If anything comes back wrong you've isolated the issue down to your provider's equipment.

3) Have your provider check the signal where it comes into the house, and at each jack in the home. If anything comes back low or wrong ask them how it can be fixed. If your home was built in the 90's be ready for some really shitty workmanship by the builder (I had a coax run made up of 7 shorter pieces held together by joints and shitty crimp connections in a wall! I used the cable to pull a new RG-6!)

4) If everything else works it's probably the ooma. The QOS in the device seems to have been designed for a one computer setup and get's wonky if you hook it up between a router and modem if you have more than one or two pc's on the router. Kill the QOS and put it behind the router with the rest of your equipment! If you have any issues remaining use the QOS settings in your router to set the Ooma to be the priority.

Hope this helps some others!