This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#70273 by Anneemu4
Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:55 am
I don't know what's going on with my ISP right now. I'm using Centurylink DSL. The speed is fine, but the 13% QOS has me scratching my head. It seems recent though, because I've been having some trouble streaming on my 360, too. Could anyone suggest to me what I can do to fix this? Do I need to be using the phone cords with more than 2 wires in it? I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2187064 bps
Upload speed: 744000 bps
Download consistency of service: 13 %
Upload consistency of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 136 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 120 ms
Average round trip time to server: 121 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5840000bps
Route concurrency: 2.6702466
Download TCP forced idle: 26 %
Maximum route speed: 4369000bps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 19.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 19.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 5.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7
#70275 by EricJRW
Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 am
This thread seems to address a lot of those questions:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9536

Appologies if you have already seen it.

I don't think any of the ooma device requires more than a single pair on its telephone/wall ports... But I'm speaking strictly from a hub persective.

BTW, where did you get those VOIP stats from? Is that a telo thing?
#70279 by EricJRW
Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am
lbmofo wrote:
EricJRW wrote:BTW, where did you get those VOIP stats from? Is that a telo thing?

You probably haven't seen this thread yet? Having voice quality issues with your Ooma?

Nope... So far I am very happy with ooma and my QoS.
But once again thanks for a wealth of information (and another great thread).

PS. I ran the test on my PC connected via wireless (low signal strength) and the numbers were OK, but not great... Rather high packet loss. I need to run it again either a) closer to the WAP or b) whilst physically connected to my router. Point being, I suspect running the test while wireless may skew the results.
#70295 by EricJRW
Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:49 pm
I have had bad ports/jacks/plugs/wires affect all sorts of things. It certainly is an easy enough thing to do to try another wire. When you do this, take a close looks at the jack and see if the contacts look clean and shiny. You can usually do the same thing for the crimped-on connectors. Make sure you don't see any corrosion or discoloration in the plug. If there are any sharp bends in the wire, this too could cause a degradation in quality (of the wire), which could affect the performance.
#70296 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:55 pm
Usually, the phone wire and ethernet cable won't matter as long as they are working and not out of norm like EricJRW mentioned and within normal setup (not running hundreds/thousands of feet).

The Download consistency of service may be inconsistent and they might show up looking okay next time you do a test.

However, your jitter values seem to be high approaching 20ms both ways. They are supposed to be less than 5ms.

The packet discards is bad news too.

If you are consistently getting these high jitter values and packet loss/discards, I'd call your ISP provider to see if they can find anything wrong with your service. If nothing else, maybe time for a new DSL modem.