Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68600 by blackswan
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 pm
I searched around for answers, but I'm still confused. I apologize in advance.

I have successfully connected ooma hub to my current phone/DSL internet service. The 'blue' light is on and the ooma dial tone comes through, calls come through,and we can make calls. I was able to figure out the correct connections based on our configuration. DSL comes in on the phone line and there is a filter on the outlet.

Ideally, we would like to port our current number..and this is where I'm really confused. I understand I need to request a dry loop/standalone from DSL provider.I attempted to call at&t and was promptly (well 10 mins later) disconnected. :? Is this an 'instant' switch from at&t, and will it affect my services during the porting (3-4 weeks) process? I imagine it will and it sounds like a hassle.(will I need a temporary ooma number? during this process?) Once the request for the dry-loop is made/completed and porting is completed, do I need to change how I connect ooma to the wall (do I still need the filter?) and then to the phone and then the router?

Let's suppose we DON"T port our number and get a new ooma number, do I need change how I connect all the components? Would I take out the DSL filter in the equation? I would cancel my telephone service and keep just my DSL service.

I'm just trying to find the solution with the least amount of hassle.

Please be gentle with me...this was my 'great' idea to save a few bucks!

TIA
#68603 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm
The "wall" port of ooma is only used in landline integration mode (use your landline number on your ooma device without porting your number). In landline integration mode, all incoming and local outgoing calls go through your landline. Therefore, you need to connect your landline dialtone to the "wall" port of your ooma.

Once you port your number over (or if you get a number assigned by ooma and run ooma in standalone mode without your landline), you don't need anything plugged into the "wall" port of your ooma.

As for porting your AT&T number that has DSL combined, look at here: viewtopic.php?t=9386