Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68551 by itseileen
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:10 am
I've been a very satisfied ooma customer since 7/09...at least until a few months ago.

What the problem is:
On both incoming and outgoing calls - garbled, digitized sounding voice quality (unintelligible) - intermittent
On outgoing calls - call is made and connects, but drops to dead air after about 20 seconds - intermittent

What's changed:
At the end of August, we switched from DirecTV to Dish. The installer installed a SlinkLink Turbo W1 and gave us a D-Link DES-1105 desktop switch since our DSL modem/router only has 1 ethernet connection - which was otherwise occupied by our ooma. Since the issues are intermittent, I don't know for sure if that's when our problems began, but it was around that time.

Here's some specifics:
Hub - Uniden DECT2085-3
Scout - Uniden TRU9460-2
Qwest DSL
Actiontec GT701-WG
D-Link DES-1105 desktop switch

Current setup:
modem/router --> D-Link --> ooma/SlingLink/Panasonic Blu Ray

I'm guessing that there's something wrong with my setup. I've scoured the forums and can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. I'm not a techno-geek but neither am I a computer dummy - I follow directions fairly well :) I really hope someone can help me with this. Much as I've loved ooma, we're beginning to wonder if we made a mistake cutting the cord.

Thanks,
itseileen

BTW - southsound, if you're out there, I'd be ever so grateful if you'd reply
#68552 by murphy
Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 am
Is your scout connected to your hub through the house wiring?
If it is, there must not be a DSL signal on those wires.
Describe your connections in more detail.
#68554 by tommies
Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:17 am
This is interesting. In technical term your setup is still ooma after the router--before and after the change.

However, since your modem/router combo only has one ethernet/LAN port, before the change, it acted like ooma virtually in front of the router setup. In essence, all traffics go through ooma, and ooma's QoS makes thing work for you.

After the change, it now acts like ooma truly after the router setup. The above no longer holds true, some traffics do not go through ooma and these traffics might interfere with your call quality.

You have two options:
  • connect ooma directly to the modem/router, and connect the Dlink to ooma's HOME port. Everything else connect to the Dlink [modem/router -> ooma -> Dlink -> every thing]
  • keep your current setup [modem/router -> Dlink -> ooma + every thing] and activate/setup QoS of your router to give ooma the highest priority.
Not all router offer QoS thought.
#68571 by southsound
Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:48 am
itseileen wrote:What's changed:
At the end of August, we switched from DirecTV to Dish. The installer installed a SlinkLink Turbo W1 and gave us a D-Link DES-1105 desktop switch since our DSL modem/router only has 1 ethernet connection - which was otherwise occupied by our ooma. Since the issues are intermittent, I don't know for sure if that's when our problems began, but it was around that time.

Current setup:
modem/router --> D-Link --> ooma/SlingLink/Panasonic Blu Ray

BTW - southsound, if you're out there, I'd be ever so grateful if you'd reply

Some guesses here - the only reason that Dish would give you the SlingLink is because your Dish receiver is also a DVR with Dish on Demand capabilty. The SlingLink is actually a Sling branded version of the HomePlug Internet adapter. Your new Dish VIP DVR has a built-in SlingLink receiver, so if it is plugged in, it is talking to the SlingLink. The whole point of this device is to get your Dish HD-DVR connected to the Internet, which lets you schedule/control the DVR remotely and lets you do DishOnline (Download On Demand via your Internet Connection) and order PPVs with your remote. So (from my understanding*) your DVR is loading up shows that you "might" want to watch at some time. You really don't need to use the SlingLink if you can run a direct cable from your switch to the RJ45 on the back of your DVR. Another network hog might be your Pany Blu Ray if is one of those that can stream video over the Internet.

Tommies is right about most DSL modem/routers lacking good QoS. So without doing some QoS on your modem/router, the best way to solve the problem would be to plug the D-link, as tommies suggests, into the Home Network (LAN) port on your hub and set the hub's QoS to about 80% or less of your actual speeds. Note that this still may be a little high for good ooma performance. In my case with 1.28 MBPS measured download and 768 BPS up. The best settings for me were 768 down and 364 up. You may have to play a little bit.

I hope this helps. Let us know your results!

* My understanding of the Dish on Demand may be lacking so if someone has a better description, please update.
#68577 by itseileen
Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:16 am
Is your scout connected to your hub through the house wiring?
If it is, there must not be a DSL signal on those wires.
Describe your connections in more detail.

Yes, my Scout is connected through the house wiring - the same as it was before the problems began. Hub is in the office, next to the computer; Scout is in the bedroom, plugged into a wall jack with house wiring. The problem is on all phones regardless of if they're plugged into the Hub or the Scout.

connect ooma directly to the modem/router, and connect the Dlink to ooma's HOME port. Everything else connect to the Dlink [modem/router -> ooma -> Dlink -> every thing]

Thank you

Tommies is right about most DSL modem/routers lacking good QoS. So without doing some QoS on your modem/router, the best way to solve the problem would be to plug the D-link, as tommies suggests, into the Home Network (LAN) port on your hub and set the hub's QoS to about 80% or less of your actual speeds. Note that this still may be a little high for good ooma performance. In my case with 1.28 MBPS measured download and 768 BPS up. The best settings for me were 768 down and 364 up. You may have to play a little bit.

I don't use PPV or care if Dish recommends movies to me - perhaps I'll discontinue the SlingLink altogether. My download/upload numbers are very similar to yours. I've made the changes recommended by you and Tommies - now it'll be a bit of a waiting game to see what happens in that it's an intermittent problem. I'll let you know! Thanks so much all for the help!
#68580 by southsound
Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:22 am
itseileen wrote:
southsound wrote: In my case with 1.28 MBPS measured download and 768 BPS up. The best settings for me were 768 down and 364 up. (Fat fingers here - should have been 384) You may have to play a little bit.

I don't use PPV or care if Dish recommends movies to me - perhaps I'll discontinue the SlingLink altogether. My download/upload numbers are very similar to yours. I've made the changes recommended by you and Tommies - now it'll be a bit of a waiting game to see what happens in that it's an intermittent problem. I'll let you know! Thanks so much all for the help!

If you don't use PPV or the Dish on Demand, unplugging the SlingLink might be a great option. There is really no other purpose that I am aware of. I don't use either and have not bothered to connect my 722 to the Internet.
#68582 by itseileen
Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 am
southsound wrote:
itseileen wrote:
southsound wrote: In my case with 1.28 MBPS measured download and 768 BPS up. The best settings for me were 768 down and 364 up. (Fat fingers here - should have been 384) You may have to play a little bit.

If you don't use PPV or the Dish on Demand, unplugging the SlingLink might be a great option. There is really no other purpose that I am aware of. I don't use either and have not bothered to connect my 722 to the Internet.

I'll still have the Pany Blu Ray to contend with. We use it to stream Netflix (love that feature) but not that often. Who knew this could all be so complicated?!

BTW, I sorta feel as if I know you...I followed your thread regarding porting your number from Qwest. You were a pioneer of sorts - it looks as if we have some of the same setup so that thread provided some great info and confidence regarding the phone number port - which worked like a dream.

Again, thanks!