Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#67432 by sundaypunch
Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:24 pm
I have the Ooma hub. I got it up and running (with the temporary number) with no problems on 10/6. I am in the process of having my number ported from Vonage. Other than verify I could make and receive calls I have not used the Ooma service. The "port scheduled for completion" date was yesterday, 10/22. I have been using the Vonage service with no issues.

Yesterday, my scheduled port completion day, I received a message from Ooma on my permanent/Vonage number. It was something along the lines of "this is a test from Ooma, no action is required". The problem is that the port has not gone through yet. This wouldn't be an issue except I can no longer receive calls on the permanent/Vonage number. I still get a dial tone and can make calls through Vonage, just can't receive them. I haven't changed anything so I'm not sure what caused the issue after Ooma left the message.

I called customer service today and they just said they would put in another inquiry about the port. They said to call Vonage about why I can't receive calls.

Has anyone had this issue?

EDIT - I just went to my Vonage account and forwarded calls to my Ooma temporary number. The forwarding works fine and the Ooma receives calls to the Vonage number. I have read some posts that the Vonage forwarding may mess up the porting. I have read others that said the Vonage forwarding caused no problems.
#67434 by murphy
Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:18 pm
Hook up the Ooma equipment and test it.
Incoming calls to your ported number should now ring on the Ooma equipment.

It is normal to be able to make calls on Vonage for a few days after a port goes through.
It will eventually stop working.
#67436 by sundaypunch
Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 pm
Thanks for the response.

I should have mentioned in my first post - I did hook up the Ooma today. I could make and receive calls on the temporary number but couldn't receive calls on the ported/Vonage number.

I gave some relatives the temporary number as a quick fix and kept the Ooma hooked up. The ported/Vonage number wouldn't ring thru until I forwarded it at Vonage.

I just re-verified, if I turn the call forwarding off at Vonage I can't call the number. When I have it forwarding it rings thru.
#67458 by lbmofo
Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:18 am
If https://my.ooma.com/porting_status says "port complete" then your vonage account should be deativated.

Whether you have forwarding set on Vonage or not should not matter; just leave the forward on until "port complete."

Once Vonage confirms your account is closed (call them after "port complete"), you receiving incoming calls would mean the port is really complete.
#67535 by sundaypunch
Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:14 pm
Well, my port went through today. It was strange that my ability to receive calls on the Vonage number stopped for a few days. In any case, all is well now.

I am pleasantly surprised how good the Ooma customer service has been.